Took this to the range today:)

securedownload-6.jpg
GP100, stainless, 6" barrel, .357magnum

securedownload-7.jpg

Single action in the center at 15ft, DA bottom right (top right in the pic, it WAS bottom on the range). All standing, 2-handed.

F-ing AWESOME gun!!!!

Now a question… Any idea why after the first two rounds of six it stopped cocking properly? DA or SA, the hammer wouldn't go back/cylinder wouldn't turn. If I released the cylinder and opened it slightly, then closed it again, most times it would work. After the first two rounds of 6, I was never able to get more than 1 round to fire without opening and closing the cylinder. And btw, factory ammo, NOT reloads… This is my first ever revolver, so I am totally clueless:(

Heeeelp!

Last edited:
Were the cartridges completly pushed into the cylinder? I know that sometimes if one cartridge isn't flush, it will keep it from cycling and you won't be able to even pull back on the hammer.

Or, there's something screwed up with the timing, I want to say that there's a little screw in the back of the cyclinder that if it's not tight, will cause the same issue. I want to say that I had an issue with my Charter Arms Revolver that was causing the same symptoms. I haven't fixed it yet, but I need to take it apart, degreese it and then use a little loctite to keep it from backing out....

I'm sure that someone with more revolver knowledge than me will have a better explaination. LOL!

Give it a good cleaning.
I had this happen to me, it turned out to be crud beneath the extractor star.
The tolerances are pretty close so it doesn't take more than a few flakes of unburned powder to bind up the cylinder.

The only two things I can think of are

1.) As mentioned, the pullets might be moving out of the case from the recoil.

2.) is the cylinder tightened. If it comes loose it can move around which may be why when you open and close it, it works. I have a Colt King Cobra that the cylinder keeps loosening up on so I have to watch it.

Took it back to Four Seasons. Bob the gunsmith said the ejection rod wasn't coming forward properly when I close the cylinder. Its otw back to ruger for service, should be back next week. We'll see what happens, but a cimplete rebuild is what he expects them to do...

I have an DAO SP-101. After a little while I had a binding problem too. I checked everything (extractor star, cylinder, pawl etc). It was driving me nuts.

In the end it turned out to be the trigger plunger (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=31/schematicsdetail/SP100) ... part #47. I replaced and polished the hell out of it, now it's perfect.

You can google this, but in short this little piece of metal is the heart of the entire action. It is the one part on a Ruger revolver that needs to be perfect to eliminate binding and to have a smooth trigger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom