• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took the Youngest Daughter and Her Husband Shooting Yesterday

P-14

NES Member
She owns a gun in NJ, but never shot it. [shocked] So, we when to the range yesterday and spent a few hours going over the basics - safety first; then the shooting! The biggest hurdle to overcome was the jitters she had every time she heard a "bang!"

We started with at .22 rifle and then moved to the .22 Ruger Mark II. Results of the pistol shooting follow:

Mission accomplished.

Sweet! the MKII is a great beginner handgun that you can grow into. What was the .22 rifle?

An old Browning Semi-Auto, Grade 1, that a friend of the family gave me about 20 years ago. An excellent shooter and in great condition.

Browning-Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-m.jpg

Jesus Christ not another thread like this. Next time let them shoot something other than an antique .22 and maybe they will appreciate shooting more.

I don't get why people are so against letting newbies shoot their ARs or AKs. Whenever I take a new person shooting I always bring the AK.

Jesus Christ not another thread like this. Next time let them shoot something other than an antique .22 and maybe they will appreciate shooting more.

I don't get why people are so against letting newbies shoot their ARs or AKs. Whenever I take a new person shooting I always bring the AK.

don't shit on someone for going at their own speed, god damn. he did a good thing in the OP, so lay off taking a shit on him. jesus christ.

i never start new shooters with ARs or AKs. if they dig shooting, their next trip out gets those toys. people have their own comfort levels, and for those unfamiliar with guns, ARs and AKs can be intimidating.

if you're a new shooter and out with me, the rifle is a 10/22, the handgun is a mark III. if they are comfortable with handguns they can move up to a 9mm, comfortable with rifles they can move up to the AR/AK. .22s are not very loud, there's practically no recoil, it gives them a "yes i can" sense of control over the firearm and keeps their confidence level up when they may be nervous about the situation.

don't shit on someone for going at their own speed, god damn. he did a good thing in the OP, so lay off taking a shit on him. jesus christ.

i never start new shooters with ARs or AKs. if they dig shooting, their next trip out gets those toys. people have their own comfort levels, and for those unfamiliar with guns, ARs and AKs can be intimidating.

if you're a new shooter and out with me, the rifle is a 10/22, the handgun is a mark III. if they are comfortable with handguns they can move up to a 9mm, comfortable with rifles they can move up to the AR/AK. .22s are not very loud, there's practically no recoil, it gives them a "yes i can" sense of control over the firearm and keeps their confidence level up when they may be nervous about the situation.

Yeah he did right by taking them shooting, but it's counter productive to only let them shoot the .22s. Not only are they going to get bored fast, but it's going to reinforce their thinking (especially to antis) that ARs and AKs are big bad killing machines and should only be in the hands of trained professionals and not available to everyone.

An AR has almost no recoil either, same with 9mm. Let them shoot the big toys and get the anti-gun propaganda BS out of their heads.

yes, but you need to keep in mind not everyone shares the same comfort level, and if you want to drive someone on the fence in the wrong direction you can push and intimidate them. bringing guests to the range is one time when i have all the patience in the world, and i have never had a negative experience with anyone at the range.

i can be outspoken, loud-mouthed, and generally an *******, but there are times to table that behavior.

You are a fool.....read the whole post.......he says she had the jitters every time she heard a bang. Why WOULD he give the new shooter an AK or AR? TO the OP.....good job and that browning is a beautiful rile BTW.

Atillia it the man.
I'd always hand some one a .22 first.
The only person I didn't do this with was my step dad. He's shot once or twice before when he was younger. I gave him the run down and handed him my 1911. He shot the mag then my brother handed him his sr22. He shoot that mag , then said he'd brb.

Next thing I know he's walking back in with 100rds of of .45 cause he wants to shoot a real gun.

Every one else I've started on a .22 .
After awhile if the ask to shoot some thing bigger ill fire at least a round so they hear/see the recoil so there not shocked from going from a .22 to .45 ,.223 or 54r.

She owns a gun in NJ, but never shot it. [shocked] So, we when to the range yesterday and spent a few hours going over the basics - safety first; then the shooting! The biggest hurdle to overcome was the jitters she had every time she heard a "bang!"

We started with at .22 rifle and then moved to the .22 Ruger Mark II. Results of the pistol shooting follow:

Mission accomplished.

Sounds like an awesome day - and the weather was mint - congrats!

I did bring the WASR 10, the .45 and the .44 Magnum. Her husband is in the Navy and shoots M16s, M4s, and SAWs.

She was AFRAID of the noise and the recoil. .22 was where we started with her. He picked up the WASR after I showed him how it worked, started shooting it and she FREAKED.

So, we just talked about the .22 with her. I shot it first (1 round) and then she shot it (1 round). We took baby steps with her so we didn't lose her as a shooter and to give her the confidence that she could defend herself with her gun in NJ. It worked. After she was done shooting the .22 and had no interest in shooting the other guns, she was texting on her phone while her husband was shooting the WASR as if she was sitting on her deck. Calm and cool. It was good.

You can't push the kids and you can't push shooting on someone who is afraid - irrational or not.

It was a good day and I'm glad we found a way for her to overcome her fear of the "BANG!" and the kick.

You are such a valuable member of our community here. Thank you for your sage advise.

When will you please stop posting here? You're an *******. Can you go post on The Well Armed Democrat, or go hang out with Treischl & Baikal49.

As for the OP, good job. I love shooting my .22's, and I always will.

Does your douchebaggery know any bounds? How many threads have you shit on with either false information, trolling, or incendiary crap like this.

FOAD

I think it's great to bring em along slowly. What's the damn hurry?

Keep seeing that grin as they get to bigger and better guns.

Awesome job and it looks like she's a natural. [cheers]

Mission accomplished.

Well done! I've introduced 5 new shooters this year with a 10-22 and an SR22. Generally I have my Lc9 and Sig 45 if they want to move up.

Guess I could bring a bigger rifle too, but I've gotten 2 guys to take the class and apply for their LTC's as well. I wish some here would show some patience with newshooters.

I took my 17yr. nephew shooting over the summer. He had never shot before, his Mom, my sister is not a fan.
I started him out on my Walther SP22, then the 357 Mag, loaded with .38., then the 1911 45ACP.
Then I brought out the AR, which he LOVED !!!
And finally, to give him something to really remember the day by, I let him shoot my Mosin.
Needless to say, his shoulder hurt, but he had a big smile on his face.

When will you please stop posting here? You're an *******. Can you go post on The Well Armed Democrat, or go hang out with Treischl & Baikal49.

As for the OP, good job. I love shooting my .22's, and I always will.

yeah I agree with everyone 100% , was very much a D-Bag thing to interject

Back
Top Bottom