• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

took the plunge, collecting for my first AR build, could use input.....

CMEBoston

NES Member
so I bought a BCM M4 upper, I will be participating in the billet lower buy, and the AR barrel buy. So I will have a complete upper, stripped lower and a stripped 14.5 barrel. I have compiled a shopping list of other items and that is where I could use input. from what I gather I will need....

A bolt carrier group (gonna be tough to find)
Lower parts kit ( again gonna be hard)
I think I want to go with a piston kit rather than direct impingement.. any recommendations?
front gas block
muzzle device
trigger assembly
buffer tube & spring (commercial, are there different lengths or spring pressures I need to worry about?)
Handguard/rail
butt stock ( want a collapsible, but I am in mass. can I pin it short and still comply with the AWB? if not I may go with a skeleton stock)

what other hardware am I missing?
will a rail come with the delta springs and other mounting hardware?
what Rail system is best for optics? I would figure that using the handguard mounting system would not be too accurate with an optic.

Also I currently have a completed bushmaster I can use for reference, and obviously I will need tools and vise blocks etc.....

thanks for any input [laugh2]

If you buy a complete upper, then it's complete. It would include the upper, barrel, BCG, muzzle device, gas block, gas tube, handguard, charging handle, etc... If you buy a stripped upper, then you need all of those things, plus the dust cover and forward assist.

Like you said, most of these parts are tough to find right now.

Same thing with the lower. A complete lower would have everything installed, a stripped lower would need a LPK (includes a basic trigger group), buffer assembly, and buttstock. These are more available right now, although the LPKs can be tough. I have managed to order a couple since the craziness started.

You do need to make the rifle MA compliant, which means no bayo lug, no flash hider, any muzzle device needs to be permanent, and an adjustable buttstock needs to be pinned. It's OK to pin it as short as possible, but that isn't the best position for shooting.

Most people recommend not going with a piston setup for your first AR. DI is cheaper and easier. My only piston guns are Russian, so I can't really say.

For optics, you should just get a flat top upper. That's where you want to mount your optics, not out on the handguard.

Good luck. The toughest part right now is going to be finding components at reasonable prices.

Oh, and just to gloat, I ordered a Stag upper on December 18th, was quoted a 6-8 week delivery, and today I got an email saying that it has shipped. Woo hoo.

Stag's website now says they are backordered for 1 year and are not accepting any more orders.

My bad not a complete upper but not stripped, has FA, charging handle, dust door etc. and this is not my first AR, I have a colt and a bushmaster..

The lower is stripped, so a LPK is definitely in order. I am in non rush to build it, but could not pass up the deals on the billet lower so I am buying a couple, figure ill try my hand at building one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom