Took the dremel to the legion today..

bsaks

NES Life Member
NES Member
Took the steel frenzy class this past Friday, and I noticed that the flashing on the beavertail was rubbing on my thumb enough to create irritation and a blister. So what started as taking some sandpaper to smooth that raised edge out turned into dremeling the whole beavertail to reshape it. I watched Alma Cole's video on youtube and decided, f*** it why not...

Didn't think to take in progress pics because I was pretty sure I'd f*** this up. Turned out decent. Now just need to get some sandpaper and smooth things out. For my small dainty hands, this fits WAY better than the stock grip that has that raised bump around the whole beaver tail. I put an original X5 grip in the pic for reference.

Happy to talk anyone else through what I did. I can tell you, butthole puckered up that first moment taking a grinding bit onto the side of that $200 txg frame...

1620125079569.png

hmmm, have P320 Legion...taking Steel frenzy on Monday...

did your husband try shooting it before you hacked it up? JK [laugh]

honestly haven't shot mine much, might have to bring the battery powered dremel to class...

Eh , its just plastic, good for you making what you use work for you. Does not have to be pretty. Dremel can get ugly quick though.
Tips for using a dremel
A very secure vise to hold the work
Good sharp bits
Dont be afraid to buy one of those lighted magnifying hoods or even a pair of cheap glasses from job lot. I keep a pair of + 2.5 + 3.0 handy ——— this is dependent on any particular Rx you might have. I run +1.5 for my daily so the 2.5 or 3.0 really help for close up work.

hmmm, have P320 Legion...taking Steel frenzy on Monday...

did your husband try shooting it before you hacked it up? JK [laugh]

honestly haven't shot mine much, might have to bring the battery powered dremel to class...

it's a fun class, you're going to have a blast! I'd check your grip to see if there is that flashing right where the webbing of your thumb sits on the underside of the beavertail. That's what started bothering me half way through the class. You'll be doing a lot of shooting, lot of draws. If you have that flashing, I'd grab some high grit sandpaper and smooth it out. I'm sure part of that is also me not gripping the gun properly on my draw and readjusting over and over.

Also, double check your gear. Buddy who took the class with me had the sight on his m17 fall off.

it's a fun class, you're going to have a blast! I'd check your grip to see if there is that flashing right where the webbing of your thumb sits on the underside of the beavertail. That's what started bothering me half way through the class. You'll be doing a lot of shooting, lot of draws. If you have that flashing, I'd grab some high grit sandpaper and smooth it out. I'm sure part of that is also me not gripping the gun properly on my draw and readjusting over and over.

Also, double check your gear. Buddy who took the class with me had the sight on his m17 fall off.
Thanks for the tips. I just mounted a holosun 507 and damn, the screws do seem a little short. Will be ready to switch back to the Dawson sights if needed.

Those guns are almost made to fitted to you hand, if you mess it up, just replace the grip module. I dremil all my Glocks to fit my hand better.
I have hand-sanded some high spots and poor "castings" on a Glock, but never Dremel. Seems aggressive.

Although on my P80 I think I did some work overall. the worst on any polymer is the trigger guard. So often the mold marks are pretty aggressive. Not a big deal unless you're shooting a box or three of ammo.

I have hand-sanded some high spots and poor "castings" on a Glock, but never Dremel. Seems aggressive.

Although on my P80 I think I did some work overall. the worst on any polymer is the trigger guard. So often the mold marks are pretty aggressive. Not a big deal unless you're shooting a box or three of ammo.
Depends on the wheels and speeds you use. Thats the type of stuff I'd job out to someone else.

ETA: actually i have an already bunged up G32 frame i can probably practice on, lmao....

Last edited:
Look up "Godhand Sanding Pads" on Amazon. They're used for modeling, and go up to like 20k grit. Get one of the packs from 4k to 10k and you should be able to get it back to factory finish look around 8000. They're also nice for "softening" areas with seams or that rub like beneath the trigger guard.

I do an aggressive trigger guard undercut on every glock I buy, have years now. Doesn't sound like it makes that much of a difference, but for my hands it makes all the difference in the world.

When I bought my 19x I drank like 10 budlights and went to work with the dremel to get a magpul mag well to fit and shape the trigger guard. Then 6 months later they released the G45 negating all that work. [laugh]

700 rounds! Oof!

great class though. Was glad to be shooting the super low recoil Legion.

edit: actually blew through about 600 rounds, not 700 😂

Last edited:
Took the steel frenzy class this past Friday, and I noticed that the flashing on the beavertail was rubbing on my thumb enough to create irritation and a blister. So what started as taking some sandpaper to smooth that raised edge out turned into dremeling the whole beavertail to reshape it. I watched Alma Cole's video on youtube and decided, f*** it why not...

Didn't think to take in progress pics because I was pretty sure I'd f*** this up. Turned out decent. Now just need to get some sandpaper and smooth things out. For my small dainty hands, this fits WAY better than the stock grip that has that raised bump around the whole beaver tail. I put an original X5 grip in the pic for reference.

Happy to talk anyone else through what I did. I can tell you, butthole puckered up that first moment taking a grinding bit onto the side of that $200 txg frame...

thats one of the classes i want to take, how was it? do you do any competition shooting at all? i was hoping the class would help skill build for that

also, imagine spending the money on a p320 legion and needing to modify it so it doesnt hurt your hand. never had to do that with a glock, just saying.... :p just bustin ur balls

I'd say it depends on what skills you're trying to build on. All of the exercises we did were shooting at a plate rack from varying distances. Covered the basics of using a shot timer to track draw time, splits, overall time, etc. Ran drills multiple times and tracked average times. There was only two exercises where we did any shooting on the move. None of the drills required any reloading.

So an experienced USPSA competitor may not really be learning anything fundamentally new, but getting in the reps, and having experts there to point things out you may not even realize you're doing is always valuable. Up to you if you think that's worth $250 and a day of your time. It's also just fun to get to shoot at plate rack for a day; not everyone has access to a range that allows drawing from holster or has steel plates to shoot at.

Back
Top Bottom