• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took one to the chest

Looks like a third nip, Scaramanga.
aeEeUXJ_d.jpg

The steel was heavily pitted and had numerous dents that could act as bullet redirection channels.

The hospital did quite a job - Xrays, dug a 16.5gr chunk of lead (no jacket) out of his lip, stitched up and he made it to the Chinese restaurant in time to join us for post-shooting dinner.

I drove Erich to the hospital. I remember standing by him when the triage nurse asked if his wife beat him (Erich is twice the size of his wife). On the way in, I remember saying "Erich, I understand the stress of this. I'll bet you already forgot the name of the person who pulled the trigger if anyone asks". He assured me that memory had already completely faded.

The PD called his house the next day and accepted his explanation for the ballistically induced subcutaneous aperture. There were no adverse licensing issues.

...first time I saw him after the incident he said: "Hey! You're the guy who shot me!" ;) ....with a big grin on his face!
Still my apologies continue!

I saw a guy at a bowling pin match take a 230 gr fmj right to his nutsack. He was sitting down at a picnic table behind the line and the bullet ricocheted off a pin and flew under the table and hit him right in the nads.... he said no damage but he had a red spot for a couple days and it hurt like hell.... he was hopping around for a couple minutes after it happened.... [rofl]
Level 3 Kevlar bullet resistant jockstraps. Anyone interested in an NES group buy?

Had that happen to me shooting plastic jugs with the same caliber,cast bullet must have hit a rock. Came back and hit me upper chest left a welt but here's the topper the bullet fell into my shirt pocket after hitting me and yes I got a witness. Left a bruise and a bit sore for a few days.

Whatever I was doing before from now on I am backing up a good ten yards at the range.... I don't have my own ricochet story yet, thank God, and want to keep it that way :)

Level 3 Kevlar bullet resistant jockstraps. Anyone interested in an NES group buy?

Titanium St. Christopher medals?

Had that happen to me shooting plastic jugs with the same caliber,cast bullet must have hit a rock. Came back and hit me upper chest left a welt but here's the topper the bullet fell into my shirt pocket after hitting me and yes I got a witness. Left a bruise and a bit sore for a few days.

So now it's a key fob?

Someone please post the .50bmg ricochet where it takes the guy's ear muffs off. That guy is very, very lucky. If 690 grains travelling fast enough to forcefully remove your hearing protection ever hit him in the forehead it very likely would have killed him.

OP, glad it wasn't worse. Modify ammo(frangible) and distance.

One to the chest beats two to the head...

I was RO'ing an indoor match with steel. Tons of splash back was hitting everyone, jackets would bounce off the steel and hit the concrete floor and walls. I think just about everyone got hit. I was Ro'ing with one hand around my neck to prevent taking one in the jugular. Complete shit show.

No there wasn't that much left of it. 10 mm cast bullet has weight (150 gr) but diameter is still considered small too small to make a medallion from it

Pardon no, I was countering the jockstrap-made-from-modern-materials (Kevlar) proposal with a St.-Christopher-medal-made-from-modern-materials (titanium) proposal. (Since there were so many WWII stories).

But a jeweler could build one pretty small fragment into one personal key fob.

I saw a guy at a bowling pin match take a 230 gr fmj right to his nutsack. He was sitting down at a picnic table behind the line and the bullet ricocheted off a pin and flew under the table and hit him right in the nads.... he said no damage but he had a red spot for a couple days and it hurt like hell.... he was hopping around for a couple minutes after it happened.... [rofl]

I did a bowling pin match at one of my local clubs Sunday before last, shooting my usual IDPA gear. (Gov’t 1911 .45 with 230gr plated bullets moving at around 725fps) and after my second run I went over to help reset and saw this...

EFE7EF0A-54DA-420E-BFAD-34D56B096DEC.jpeg

To OP: Glad you’re ok bud!! I shoot a lot of steel challenge and Walls of steel and occasionally get hit with fragments, mostly when watching others shoot. General rule is at least 10 yards away and preferably further. I’ve taken a few stingers throughout the years but I don’t recall ever getting a bleeder.

Someone please post the .50bmg ricochet where it takes the guy's ear muffs off. That guy is very, very lucky. If 690 grains travelling fast enough to forcefully remove your hearing protection ever hit him in the forehead it very likely would have killed him.

OP, glad it wasn't worse. Modify ammo(frangible) and distance.

I thought of this when I read the OP.

Reach out and touch yourself.
Almost Bugs Bunny-class sound effects.

That whining sound is called "God's ringtone". If you hear it, don't ignore it.

If you slow the video down, you can see where the piece coming back at him skipped off the ground about 20 feet in front of him. He's a lucky man.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom