• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took one to the chest

Serious thought - angle the steel down a little bit, and step back a little further.

Not so serious thought - report this - clear case of "gun violence" - you're now a "victim".

Prayers Sent! [smile]

eca7ca2b-fd6f-459a-ab95-d2ed4e072c27-jpeg.260275

I still have a scar on my side from a .22LR incident that a I can’t detail because I lied my ass off to my mother at the time it happened, about how it happened. Oddly, I don’t remember what I claimed happened (it was early 90s/late 80s), but I’m damned sure guns had nothing to do with my cover story! To this day she’d probably kill me if she knew what really happened (because guns, AND because abject stupidity)...

Edit: shooting at steel wheel rims up close is DUMB as it gets!

Ricochet that is. A damn hard one. Had on a mid weight jacket, a sweat shirt and a T-shirt and it still drew blood. Not sure what it would have done if it was summer and I was just wearing a T-shirt.

Was shooting my new Colt Delta Elite in 10mm with S&B 180gr fmj flat nose ammo at reactive metal at 7 yards. Needless to say I backed up some before I shot again. Guess it’s some hot ammo.

View attachment 260275
If you are going to shoot steel that close use frangible. You’re lucky you did not shoot your eye out kid.

f you are going to shoot steel that close use frangible. You’re lucky you did not shoot your eye out.

Or go the other way and shoot steel in your underwear. (must have cigar stub mashed between your teeth.)
Kinda like frying bacon naked...

I was shooting at plates that go down when hit. The beam below the plates is angled down so not sure what happened to cause the ricochet but I obviously hit something square.

I went to in-service training 22 times in 22 years and during range day there was always at least one guy every year who caught a ricochet off of the steel target frames. Never from the rifles and never from the shotguns, always from the jacketed handgun ammo. A few bruises and the occasional bloody cut and one lost front tooth but nothing too serious. It's good training. Keeps things interesting, plus you get in some first aid training.

Wow. Looks like yours hurt worse than mine. I was at the public range at Casa Grande (AZ) out at the "300 yard" mark. PD range next door was firing full auto. Heard "hail" falling around me, and then one hit me in the a**. Definitely a wake up call!

Ricochet that is. A damn hard one. Had on a mid weight jacket, a sweat shirt and a T-shirt and it still drew blood. Not sure what it would have done if it was summer and I was just wearing a T-shirt.

Was shooting my new Colt Delta Elite in 10mm with S&B 180gr fmj flat nose ammo at reactive metal at 7 yards. Needless to say I backed up some before I shot again. Guess it’s some hot ammo.

View attachment 260275
Similar situation happened to me. I was firing a Dragunov at steel targets at 100 yards using 7.62x54R heavy ball steel jacketed ammo. Got struck in the upper shoulder by a fragment. Pulled it out with pliers and used hydrogen peroxide to clean things up before I bandaged it. Was not fool enough to go to the ER. They would have called the pigs ASAP.

Ouch. But to be honest, your jacket and sweatshirt probably did just about zero to dull it. If you had a t-shirt alone you'd probably have a slightly bigger welt.

I saw a guy at a bowling pin match take a 230 gr fmj right to his nutsack. He was sitting down at a picnic table behind the line and the bullet ricocheted off a pin and flew under the table and hit him right in the nads.... he said no damage but he had a red spot for a couple days and it hurt like hell.... he was hopping around for a couple minutes after it happened.... [rofl]

Pardon if this video is very well known on NES,
but my memory of it made interpreting this thread a lot easier for me.

And the soda demo may drive things home for a few readers.

Last edited:

View attachment 260275
That’s one hell of a reactive target! Definitely not fun, took lead to the face, and neck due to someone next to me at the range’s ricochet off a galled, poorly set up steel target last summer; made me very glad to have proper eye protection.

Glad you are ok, thankfully you did not take that one to the face.

I have some knock down steel targets that kick back lead kind of often, even when you set them up at an angle. I think the bullet splatter must bounces off the base of the target or something. I really don’t like shooting them with anything bigger than a .22. Never had an issue with steel plates though

I have some knock down steel targets that kick back lead kind of often, even when you set them up at an angle. I think the bullet splatter must bounces off the base of the target or something.
In that case, go back and watch the Hickok45 video in post 53. At least you'll get more confident that you understand what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom