• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took one to the chest

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Ricochet that is. A damn hard one. Had on a mid weight jacket, a sweat shirt and a T-shirt and it still drew blood. Not sure what it would have done if it was summer and I was just wearing a T-shirt.

Was shooting my new Colt Delta Elite in 10mm with S&B 180gr fmj flat nose ammo at reactive metal at 7 yards. Needless to say I backed up some before I shot again. Guess it’s some hot ammo.

ECA7CA2B-FD6F-459A-AB95-D2ED4E072C27.jpeg

..a number of years ago, a RO took a ricochet shot to the upper lip from a 9mm shot that I had shot at steel at Hopkinton... at 10 yards.... :( (and he was BEHIND me!)

I STILL appologize to Erich everytime I see him! :(

Embedded in the muscle. Luckily it didn’t penetrate into the chest cavity. Trauma left it in saying it’d do more damage to muscle and nerves to remove it.

Wow! What caliber and type of bullet? Where did it hit you? It looks like it is pretty well centered over the Sternum, not usually much muscle over that, (at least on my body lol).

Do you k ow if it was a whole projectile or just a jacket or just a chunk of deformed lead??

Got some steel targets that I’ve not yet used...how far away is considered safe for pistols or rifles or shotguns?

Ps, glad you’re alright!!!

Was the steel angled backward? Its important not to shoot at vertical steel close for that reason.

Also be wary of knock down plates that are "well used". I.e. the ones people shoot ammo at the shouldn't and leave big dimples. You can get ricochets from the craters.

In general if the steel is 10deg sloped back at bottom even 7 yards should be fine.

I've shot steel from much closer than anyone should. I was doing so at the request of the board member who ran that range. He wanted to know if it was safe to shoot .22s at the steel. All the important areas were well protected and I slowly advanced as I shot until I was about 5 feet from the steel. I never got hit even though I was shooting a full auto. All the rounds went straight down into the ground. The only time I've seen a bullet bounce back was when the steel was damaged or not angled properly. When I was done with the .22 test, I was asked to do it again with a shotgun. Now .22s and shotguns are allowed at that range but slugs are not allowed. If you match the type of steel to the caliber being used and shoot at properly hung undamaged targets, you shouldn't have a problem.

..a number of years ago, a RO took a ricochet shot to the upper lip from a 9mm shot that I had shot at steel at Hopkinton... at 10 yards.... :( (and he was BEHIND me!)

I STILL appologize to Erich everytime I see him! :(
The steel was heavily pitted and had numerous dents that could act as bullet redirection channels.

The hospital did quite a job - Xrays, dug a 16.5gr chunk of lead (no jacket) out of his lip, stitched up and he made it to the Chinese restaurant in time to join us for post-shooting dinner.

I drove Erich to the hospital. I remember standing by him when the triage nurse asked if his wife beat him (Erich is twice the size of his wife). On the way in, I remember saying "Erich, I understand the stress of this. I'll bet you already forgot the name of the person who pulled the trigger if anyone asks". He assured me that memory had already completely faded.

The PD called his house the next day and accepted his explanation for the ballistically induced subcutaneous aperture. There were no adverse licensing issues.

Ricochet that is. A damn hard one. Had on a mid weight jacket, a sweat shirt and a T-shirt and it still drew blood. Not sure what it would have done if it was summer and I was just wearing a T-shirt.

Was shooting my new Colt Delta Elite in 10mm with S&B 180gr fmj flat nose ammo at reactive metal at 7 yards. Needless to say I backed up some before I shot again. Guess it’s some hot ammo.

View attachment 260275

Glad you are OK. A little close for my taste. You think the 10mm was hot enough to dimple the steel a little?

Steel at 7 yards? Well hope you got good eye pro
This. You’d get DQ’d in USPSA/IDPA shooting steel that close (for good reason of course). Though stages are setup so it’s hard to shoot steel that close.

Good lesson learned.

Glad you are ok. Guys, this is why it's mandatory to have and wear all the necessary safety gear, take all the necessary safety precautions (target angles), safe distance from target, etc, and yet remember your launching whatever projectiles downrange @ whatever fps and shit still happens. What are you going to do?

Do you k ow if it was a whole projectile or just a jacket or just a chunk of deformed lead??

Think mines the jacket. .308 168gr Hornady ftx that I loaded. Ricochet at 50yds while my dad was shooting a m1a. My hands were up taking a pic as it happened.

Think mines the jacket. .308 168gr Hornady ftx that I loaded. Ricochet at 50yds while my dad was shooting a m1a. My hands were up taking a pic as it happened.

What target / object sent that jacket back from 50 yards?

Through 5/8” plate (angled down) and off the bank. Bounced directly back. I know it penetrated the plate. Saw impact poof on bank.

Back
Top Bottom