• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

took my pistol course today

i passed with flying colors, its was just a waste of time really. i wish i could of just paid the fees and got the certificate but i had to endure the whole thing. the vidio was the worst part but the instructors were cool. ill soon habe my pistol permit[grin]

i passed with flying colors, its was just a waste of time really. i wish i could of just paid the fees and got the certificate but i had to endure the whole thing. the vidio was the worst part but the instructors were cool. ill soon habe my pistol permit[grin]

If CT is still the same it was before, "soon" is about 2 months away [thinking] I hope for you that it's faster though.

It's "could have", "video", and "have". Capital letters are fun too.

Just for the record, there are instructors that post here and most of them don't think it's a waste of time really. Habe fun.

Last edited:
It all comes down to attitude. I've had a few people who yawn their way through the course. OTOH, I've had a lot of long time shooters just getting their tickets punched for their LTCs who've said that they learned a lot, including a couple of officers with recent combat experience (one a senior officer with 160 SOAR). After close to 20 years of teaching NRA courses I find I can sit through someone else's class and almost always pick up something useful.

Ken

It all comes down to attitude. I've had a few people who yawn their way through the course. OTOH, I've had a lot of long time shooters just getting their tickets punched for their LTCs who've said that they learned a lot, including a couple of officers with recent combat experience (one a senior officer with 160 SOAR). After close to 20 years of teaching NRA courses I find I can sit through someone else's class and almost always pick up something useful.

Ken

The MINIMUM requirements for ANY COURSE (in any subject) is to BRING AN OPEN MIND!

For those that meet the requirements, they are bound to learn (or reinforce) something of value.

For those that don't meet the minimum, no course is of any value to them.

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste!"

Last edited:

Ken

It's rare that I take a class of ANY kind and not walk away with something new.

its was just a waste of time really. i wish i could of just paid the fees and got the certificate but i had to endure the whole thing.

This scares me. Yeah.. and I've met a lot of "experienced" shooters before too. Ones that reload with their fingers on the trigger, etc.

Be safe.

I signed up for a safety class in January and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to learn some new things. Sure I know the basic safety rules already, but the class is 10 hours and I assume they will be going over more than just the basics. Here is a list of topics that are suppose to be covered:
• The parts and operation of handguns and ammunition;
• How to safely and properly store and transport firearms;
• How to clean a firearm;
• The fundamentals of marksmanship;
• Firearms and range safety and protocol;
• Overview of the current firearms laws of Massachusetts.
There's also a live fire part of the course that should be fun.

I think it all comes down to attitude. If you go in there only because it's a requirement for the license and you don't expect to learn anything, you probably won't be willing to take any of their advice and you'll see the course as a waste of time. If you go in there eager to learn something new, it will probably be a valuable experience.

It's a damn shame that many people don't want to learn anything, and/or think that they know it all! [rolleyes] Just being around more experienced people in any field can be a great learning experience. I certainly learned a lot in my course, and availed myself of the instructors' knowledge and experience to answer several questions. Hey, learning is fun!! [grin]

When it comes to safety and firearms nothing is a waste of time. Even if it is listening to or reading the basic rules every one should know. I can agree with Lugnut- I too have seen some experienced shooters with sloppy gun handling skills endanger themselves and others around them.
I recently heard about the guy who accidentally shot himself at the Malden club about a month ago. Don't know the details but from what I understand he was sticking a magazine in his pistol but had it turned to the side and it had a slam fire and shot himself in the arm. Just a bad mistake but it could have cost him his life or someone else's. If only the gun was pointed in a safe direction...

This scares me. Yeah.. and I've met a lot of "experienced" shooters before too. Ones that reload with their fingers on the trigger, etc.

Be safe.

why does it scare you? all i meant be this was there wasn't anything tought that i didn't already know except for the fact that you should clean a gun from chamber to muzzle. for an unexperienced user this course was helpful but it was repetition for me.

"all i meant be this was there wasn't anything..."

I see the problem. I'll bet the course was taught in English, and that appears to not be your first language.

Back
Top Bottom