• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took an anti-gun liberal to the range last night

Ipe

I took a neighbor/friend of mine to the range last night. He and his wife are hard core liberals - the state will take care of us, etc., and has always stated that he has an extreme dislike of guns and cannot see a reason for them at all.

Last Friday night we had him and his wife over for dinner and and throughout the evening they gave us a somewhat sarcastic time about being gun owners. During dinner his son states that he doesn't want to try this vegetable and his response is that "how do you know if you don't like it if you've never tried it".

Knowing that I had the perfect opportunity I waited until after dinner and the kids were playing and asked him if he'd like to come to the range with me. He said no, he didn't like guns and didn't want to. I asked if he had ever handled guns or shot them. His answer: no. I hit him with "how do you know if you don't like it if you've never tried it, after all, that's the logic you just used on your son?"

Anyway, the long and the short of it is he came to the range with me last night. I had him shoot a Ruger SR22 and a S&W M&P15-22. We started with the SR22 and he had good time shooting that. After a while we stopped and I got out the M&P. He looked like he was going to wet himself.

That, that, thats an ASSAULT WEAPON! [shocked]

With some coaxing I got him to fire it down range...

Fast forward about 300 rounds later and he's asking me when we can go again. [smile] On the way home he even suggested that we should bring his wife next time too. Hopefully a pair of moonbats will be converted. At least he seems well on his way.

Awesome job dude

I've never brought someone to the range and they didn't have fun

Easily way to switch an anti

One at the time. Good job. Next thing you know, he is browsing the interwebs when the ol lady isn't looking, drooling over SIGs and Colts.

It's still a long hard slog from getting somebody to fire a firearm and admit they like it - to getting them to clear all the contradictions and bullshit out of their head.

If you REALLY want to "convert" him - you're going to have some work ahead of you.

Excellent! Little battles like that are how we win the war! Actually getting them to the range is the hardest part, most will really enjoy it if they can open their minds.

If you REALLY want to "convert" him - you're going to have some work ahead of you.

This, absolutely. But hats off to the OP for doing this. I think this is one of the most important things we can do to get hearts and votes on our side. I've brought plenty of "nons" to the range over the years but as yet I haven't been able to convert any of my uber-liberal friends. I hang out with them less and less as time goes on, for good reason. But again kudos to you OP for making an effort here.

Thanks for the good word guys, I appreciate it. It was fun seeing his attitude change over the evening. Believe it or not he was actually pretty good seeing as he had never shot before.

Somehow I doubt that he'll be charging out to get his LTC but I'm working to get that camels nose of reasonable doubt inside his closed tent of a brain... (hope that makes sense... it did to me! [wink]). It'll take some doing but even if I can get them to become ambivalent vs. anti I'll consider it a victory.

Congrats. I'm taking a college buddy of mine who has never shot before to the range next week. He asked me about going as he always wanted to try shooting but never grew up around it and never had the chance before.

It's still a long hard slog from getting somebody to fire a firearm and admit they like it - to getting them to clear all the contradictions and bullshit out of their head.

True, but it can happen.

I took two shooting during my last trip to SF last year.

One immediately went out and bought a Beretta 92FS and a Mossy 500.
The other one was just laid off, and is asking me about defensive handgun classes they should take during their downtime.

They still voted Obama. They still think the government is there to protect us. They just want to make sure their homes are safe... so it's baby steps, but eventually you can bring down their entire beliefs system with just a tiny grain of empowerment.

So, my word on the subject. (It's worth what you paid for it.)

Good job Ipe, keep it up. Now press the attack and show him the clusterf--- that is MA law. That should go far to pissing off even the most ardent Dems.

ETA - btw, make them pay for their ammo...

Last edited:
Thanks for the good word guys, I appreciate it. It was fun seeing his attitude change over the evening. Believe it or not he was actually pretty good seeing as he had never shot before.

Somehow I doubt that he'll be charging out to get his LTC but I'm working to get that camels nose of reasonable doubt inside his closed tent of a brain... (hope that makes sense... it did to me! [wink]). It'll take some doing but even if I can get them to become ambivalent vs. anti I'll consider it a victory.

It's all a house of cards.

Once a hard core anti actually overcomes their disgust and fear to try it. After they have actually shot a gun, a lot of the de-mystification and un-demonizing can start.

They will, generally start asking a bunch of questions. Once they are given true, rational, unemotional, unpolitical information they will generally start to think for themselves.

The hardest part is overcoming the inertia. Once the genie is out of the bottle, they will start actually thinking for themselves. Not that they will become gun owners. But, moving from hard core anti to neutral is a very easy step.

Great job.

When I saw the title 'Took an anti-gun liberal to the range last night', I thought this thread is about you needing help getting rid of a 160lbs object wrapped in black plastic...[smile]

Just get them to try and apply for their LTC. I think most people turn around once they realize they're being treated like a criminal throughout the process.

This is great......great opportunity not passed up and delicately handled. THIS is an example of what we must do instead of preaching to the choir. The difficulty, which I can understand, is that most of us gunowers have other gun owners as friends.....

Great job. Most are convertable, they just need to get over their absurd fear. Get the wife to go next time too.

Once in a while, they don't convert properly but enter some kind of weird logical singularity state where they like guns but stay retarded. There was a guy on here for a while that was stuck in that state. He must have collapsed in on himself by now, I assume.

one trip to the range does not a conversion make--but you know what? it's a step in the right direction, good on you for taking them and educating them. [cheers]

That's $300 worth of ammo on GB! Get him to try the real deal next time. Bet he'll have a blast if he's balls.
And yeah lay out the whole ltc process for him as well.

Everyone here needs to make an effort to duplicate this.

And THIS is how we win this thing long term.

Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same reputation back in return.

Back
Top Bottom