• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took a new shooter to the range today!

My friend from NY came up for the weekend with a new girl-friend of his who wanted to try shooting for the first time so we hit the range today to make her dreams (or at least some of them) come true. It was my friend's first time with a pistol when he came to visit a few weeks ago. We went up to Bobs and had a blast!! Here are some pics:

range1.JPG

range2.JPG

range3.JPG

range5.JPG

shell cashing eject
joshpic.JPG

My friend got a new SLR cam (Nikon D5000) and fancies himself a photographer...this was one of his "artsy" shots of my xD and the girls!

Last edited:
I see some folks are still shooting up instead of down range at Bob's. [laugh] That used to be a new ceiling. Ah well.... Glad they had a good time!!

My friend from NY came up for the weekend with a new girl-friend of his who wanted to try shooting for the first time so we hit the range today to make her dreams (or at least some of them) come true. It was my friend's first time with a pistol when he came to visit a few weeks ago. We went up to Bobs and had a blast!! Here are some pics:

joshpic.JPG

Both the ladies have good grips on the pistols.

The guy on the other hand...not so good.

range5.JPG

Great job getting them to the range.

Both the ladies have good grips on the pistols.

The guy on the other hand...not so good.

Great job getting them to the range.

Yea hes one of "gods special people" (lefty) and hes not good at taking righty and flipping it around.

Those pictures are great!

I'm still fooling around trying to figure out what my digital camera can do. I'm so used to using my old Pentax 35mm, all the options on the digicam become overwhelming.

Good on you for taking some new folks shooting too.

Will most clubs allow guests without LTC's to shoot? I really want my wife to get some practice with my Sig (especially since it was meant to be for home defense), but I doubt she'll be getting her LTC anytime soon...

Will most clubs allow guests without LTC's to shoot? I really want my wife to get some practice with my Sig (especially since it was meant to be for home defense), but I doubt she'll be getting her LTC anytime soon...

I dont know about clubs, but the "public" ranges (ie Bobs and AFS) will rent pistols to the non-federally prohibited "general public", so bringing guests to shoot your guns is OK, they are covered as you are supervising them. I would assume the similar is OK with clubs, as long as you let them in and stay/supervise, should be OK.

I've never heard of a club "carding" anyone. I don't believe that would be looked up on very well.

If a club did that to me, I wouldn't shoot there. The government already did that.

There are some clubs in Western MA which do NOT allow ANY GUESTS!

After the Westfield incident and due to the proposed CMRs, I honestly expect a number of clubs to take on the same policy within short order (we are our own worst enemy)!

That said, to the OP: Be specific . . . what club or what area? Then we can answer the question specifically for your case or lead you to a club that is open to guests.

None of the four clubs that I've been a member of ban guests. They each have a written policy and in most cases, they wink and nod to open it up even more than what is in their rules. At both Braintree R&P and Mansfield F&G, immediate family are always welcome, under the direct supervision of the club member.

There are some clubs in Western MA which do NOT allow ANY GUESTS!

After the Westfield incident and due to the proposed CMRs, I honestly expect a number of clubs to take on the same policy within short order (we are our own worst enemy)!

That said, to the OP: Be specific . . . what club or what area? Then we can answer the question specifically for your case or lead you to a club that is open to guests.

None of the four clubs that I've been a member of ban guests. They each have a written policy and in most cases, they wink and nod to open it up even more than what is in their rules. At both Braintree R&P and Mansfield F&G, immediate family are always welcome, under the direct supervision of the club member.

Sorry, my intention wasn't to threadjack the OP, it was more of a general question. I'm sure with a little research I can find clubs in my area (Boston) that would allow me to bring the wife unit, or I can try one of the suggested "public" ranges. Thanx for the info.

I've never heard of a club "carding" anyone. I don't believe that would be looked up on very well.

If a club did that to me, I wouldn't shoot there. The government already did that.

Kudos for taking new people to the range. I took a friend shooting last weekend for his first tie in 20+ years, and he served in the Marine Corp.

A range in Norwalk, CT (Forest and Field) will card you when you walk in with a firearm, but if you don't have a permit you can still shoot and they will rent you something to shoot. I've known clubs to require cards for membership, but never seen someone checked to shoot a firarm brought in by somebody else.

Plymouth Rod and Gun allows guests without a license. But only one guest is supposed to shoot at a time because you're supposed to be watching them. They don't even want you (the member) shooting if one of the guests are shooting.

Back
Top Bottom