• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took a entry level pistol course with my wife......

I'm looking at being an instructor when I retire. Since I have the funds, and the bonus of a weekend alone with my wife (kids at inlaws). I talked her into taking a class at an upscale club where I'm looking to retire. My wife is a genuine noob, and I wanted to see how they taught and how their program was set up. I originally intended to play dumb, but to credit the female (former MP 10 years) instructor, she wasn't having anything of it. I didn't break to who I am and what I do, but simply said, "I know what I'm doing with pistols." She made a bold statement, 'my wife would outshoot me by the end of the class'. Thankfully, I had a mask on since we were in a public area.

The class was good enough, she covered everything that I think should be covered in an intro to pistols class. Not a CCW or any kind of actual 'shooting' class. This was a "This is a pistol" class. How to load a mag, how to hold the gun, she went over some common issues when shooting (stovepipe and double feed). The 'classroom' was probably 30 minutes of 'basics'. I didn't really know what to expect, my agency uses the firehose to drink methodology in everything.

The last half of the course was on the range. We shot 50 rounds doing various drills. My first 5 shots were a little scattered by my standards, my second 5 were a single hole at 5 yards. She looked at my target and moved it to 7 yards. My response was, "That's not fair, dammit". Her response, "Tough". If I were single, I'd be in love.

I was more watching how she instructed than anything else, I was ripping my shots to do the course of fire then observe. After we were done shooting, I asked if I could have 5-10 minutes to talk. When I told her who I worked for and my certs, she just started laughing and said "I knew something was up". We had a good talk and she let me know what it's like being an instructor in a private setting vs teaching a bunch of window lickers. Overall, wife seemed to enjoy herself and my Springfield 1911 might not be mine anymore :(. I mentioned taking another class together and she didn't say no. This place has a virtual trainer, but not as snazzy as the VirTua trainer I have at work (which is amazing if you ever get the chance to use one).

Where was the class?
Maybe I can get my wife to attend...

It is what it is, for first time people. It's also a 'prerequisite' to take more advanced classes. It was expensive in my opinion for what it was, but under the current climate, classes are booked solid at the lower priced places until September. Set price on what demand will pay, no problem there.

For anybody interested, Sig runs awesome courses, including a handguns for women course. I paid for my wife to go. She loved it. I’d imagine they’re pretty booked up at this point but who knows.

When I was doing private training, one of the things that helped a lot was having the same exact platform for myself and up to 6 other students.
Having the exact same pistol for everyone in the class made training much easier than a handful of mismatched pistols with different controls and
disassembly/reassembly instructions.

I found that the S&W SW9VE filled the bill perfectly. I was able to buy 7 used 9mm pistols with magazines
for well under $200 each and in excellent condition. The manual of arms for this pistol is virtually identical to a Glock pistol at a fraction of the cost.
Also, you don't wince as much when someone butterfingers a slide and 'tings' it off the floor...

Nice thread, thanks for memories...

~Enbloc

1594003720889.png

If my wife was interested in taking a pistol class I wouldn’t care what it cost.

Same...my chick has never asked to go, so i've never asked her. I'm not a big pistol guy...I think I'm still in the 'under 10' category, and I don't think she'd have any interest in shooting rifle w/me. But NOW i'm kinda wondering if SOMEONE ELSE was teaching her, she might respond a little better...especially if it were a woman.

Sooooo...OP...who are you and what are your credentials...lol. Never cared enough to know before, but you've created some mystery behind the mask now. Spill the beans...are you a spy? A super sniper?

THIS GUY!?!??!

1594004784293.png

Same...my chick has never asked to go, so i've never asked her. I'm not a big pistol guy...I think I'm still in the 'under 10' category, and I don't think she'd have any interest in shooting rifle w/me. But NOW i'm kinda wondering if SOMEONE ELSE was teaching her, she might respond a little better...especially if it were a woman.

Sooooo...OP...who are you and what are your credentials...lol. Never cared enough to know before, but you've created some mystery behind the mask now. Spill the beans...are you a spy? A super sniper?

THIS GUY!?!??!

View attachment 370802

I'm a Border Patrol FI per my credentials. If I was nearby, I'd certainly be willing to help. But I'm way south of the Mason-Dixon line and never intend to cross it again except to take my kids to the battlefields of the Revolution and Civil Wars. Unfortunately, the Smithsonian is up there as well so that will be a week I spend up there.

Houston, but yeah, it was the first time she really enjoyed being at the range. She wants her CCW now, but no way she's getting it until she's had some formal training.
Does your state require her to get more formal training......or are you requiring her to get more formal training?

Does your state require her to get more formal training......or are you requiring her to get more formal training?

Me. I'm hoping that once she gets the basics, she'll actually listen to me. :D

But honestly, I'm not against a national CCW that requires XX hours of training to get, and an additional X hours per year to maintain. That said, I'm against the idea of a national CCW for obvious reasons. I initially got 3 solid weeks of firearms training, quarterly training, 3 weeks for instructor cert, not to mention any other advanced firearms training I've obtained. I think I'm 'competent' with firearms, yeah, I brag sometimes, but realistically there are better firearms people out there than me in large numbers. It takes time to get it down in a combat environment. The how, when, and why you utilize force takes significant training to not end up on the wrong end of the law.

Me. I'm hoping that once she gets the basics, she'll actually listen to me. :D

But honestly, I'm not against a national CCW that requires XX hours of training to get, and an additional X hours per year to maintain. That said, I'm against the idea of a national CCW for obvious reasons. I initially got 3 solid weeks of firearms training, quarterly training, 3 weeks for instructor cert, not to mention any other advanced firearms training I've obtained. I think I'm 'competent' with firearms, yeah, I brag sometimes, but realistically there are better firearms people out there than me in large numbers. It takes time to get it down in a combat environment. The how, when, and why you utilize force takes significant training to not end up on the wrong end of the law.
I've heard all I need to at this point.

Not sure which way to take that? Give her a gun with no training and let her go is what I should do, or I'm doing the right thing?
"I'm not against a national CCW that requires XX hours of training to get, and an additional X hours per year to maintain"

Im sure you can figure out where I'm coming from.

I mean.....if you take your wife to the range a few times......show her how to run the pistol......let her practice......and she feels comfortable.......what more do you think she "needs". What do you think others "need"?

It sounds like you feel everyone needs formal training. From who? What's the standard? How much?

"I'm not against a national CCW that requires XX hours of training to get, and an additional X hours per year to maintain"

Im sure you can figure out where I'm coming from.

I mean.....if you take your wife to the range a few times......show her how to run the pistol......let her practice......and she feels comfortable.......what more do you think she "needs". What do you think others "need"?

It sounds like you feel everyone needs formal training. From who? What's the standard? How much?

Yeah, look at the 2 famous firearms owners of late. That was stupid, they didn't know the law, they didn't know how to handle the firearms. The female was waving a substandard pistol around with her finger on the trigger. So yes, they need more training, hopefully they can get it and not be in jail for pointing a weapon at someone.

If you can't make a single hole in paper at 5 yards, you need more training. If you can't make a palm sized group at 25 yards, you need more training. In my world, you'd take something like 20 hours of training in a reasonable time frame (so you don't forget the previous training). Because that single hole is going to get a LOT larger when you're under stress, that palm sized hole will get even larger. You are responsible for every piece of lead you send down range. Your 'good shoot' turns into a negligent homicide when you miss and kill a kid 30 yards behind your 'bad guy'.

I'm against anything 'official' due to the 'they' using such databases against those who step up and do the right thing, get the training and the paperwork. In my unicorn world that wouldn't happen, but realistically that's not how things work. Those registered guns you have in Mass are on a list that someone can use as a shopping list to pick up.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Go buy some guns, no training, no plan of action.

Anyone who just hands a gun to someone should expect something bad to happen. People are emotional, you have to learn to separate the emotion from the situation and act accordingly. These two probably have the financial resources to deal with it, I don't, at least not without destroying my plans to retire.

I'd like to see their targets after a day at the range, do they even hit what they are aiming at with no stress?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Go buy some guns, no training, no plan of action.
I think any wife who looks at that photo, ends up thinking "If I was her and in that situation... I'd want some training"...

Good on you and your wife.
~Enbloc

Anyone who just hands a gun to someone should expect something bad to happen. People are emotional, you have to learn to separate the emotion from the situation and act accordingly. These two probably have the financial resources to deal with it, I don't, at least not without destroying my plans to retire.

I'd like to see their targets after a day at the range, do they even hit what they are aiming at with no stress?
Fyi I'm not opposed to training. Training is excellent advice that nobody should have to get by law.

Racer: Check out the author's bio at the end of the column. He might have some helpful info regarding your future plans. And he's in Texas.

Racer: Check out the author's bio at the end of the column. He might have some helpful info regarding your future plans. And he's in Texas.

Interesting. It's going to be an educational experience for me I know. How I teach other agents is, shall we say, 'different' than how I'll be able to teach 'most' people. :D

Just the one 10 minute conversation with an 'entry' level instructor gave me some insight into how the system tends to work. If I can hook up with higher level instruction, I'll definitely do it. I'm not looking to make bank, I like seeing that 'light bulb' moment when someone finally 'gets it'. I just wish I would have access to Harpers Ferry once I retire, the information I have access to now is crazy, from use of force to techniques developed by world class shooters.

We are supposed to have a 3 day course taught by a current or former world champion pistol shooter in the next month. I'd have to look at the email to get the name and status.

I'm looking at being an instructor when I retire. Since I have the funds, and the bonus of a weekend alone with my wife (kids at inlaws). I talked her into taking a class at an upscale club where I'm looking to retire. My wife is a genuine noob, and I wanted to see how they taught and how their program was set up. I originally intended to play dumb, but to credit the female (former MP 10 years) instructor, she wasn't having anything of it. I didn't break to who I am and what I do, but simply said, "I know what I'm doing with pistols." She made a bold statement, 'my wife would outshoot me by the end of the class'. Thankfully, I had a mask on since we were in a public area.

The class was good enough, she covered everything that I think should be covered in an intro to pistols class. Not a CCW or any kind of actual 'shooting' class. This was a "This is a pistol" class. How to load a mag, how to hold the gun, she went over some common issues when shooting (stovepipe and double feed). The 'classroom' was probably 30 minutes of 'basics'. I didn't really know what to expect, my agency uses the firehose to drink methodology in everything.

The last half of the course was on the range. We shot 50 rounds doing various drills. My first 5 shots were a little scattered by my standards, my second 5 were a single hole at 5 yards. She looked at my target and moved it to 7 yards. My response was, "That's not fair, dammit". Her response, "Tough". If I were single, I'd be in love.

I was more watching how she instructed than anything else, I was ripping my shots to do the course of fire then observe. After we were done shooting, I asked if I could have 5-10 minutes to talk. When I told her who I worked for and my certs, she just started laughing and said "I knew something was up". We had a good talk and she let me know what it's like being an instructor in a private setting vs teaching a bunch of window lickers. Overall, wife seemed to enjoy herself and my Springfield 1911 might not be mine anymore :(. I mentioned taking another class together and she didn't say no. This place has a virtual trainer, but not as snazzy as the VirTua trainer I have at work (which is amazing if you ever get the chance to use one).

It looks to me that your wife likes spending time with you. That's a great thing, enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom