Took a 1st timer to the range today!

In my quest to introduce as many of my friend as possible to the fun of target shooting, I took my roommate up to Danvers F&G. Initially I was hesitant to ask since he is a Jewish kid, is very quite, and is from NJ (very anti-gun). The worst scenario I could see playing out was I ask him to go, he says no, objects to me having firearms in the apt, and causes a very uncomfortable situation for the remainder of the time we are roommates. I bit the bullet anyway and posed the question when a bunch of us were out the other day and he expressed interest in going.

Bingo.

So today we get to the range and I sit him down at the table and give him a rundown of how my XD works, the safety rules, grip, stance, aiming, etc. He gets comfortable with it so I we toe the line.

I start by putting nine rounds downrange so he can get an idea what the experience is like (sound, recoil, etc). I then turn it over to him. I load a single round into a magazine and let him fire away. Then two rounds, then three, then I load up the whole mag and he takes aim at the target at 25 feet away.

All nine missed low.

He was dipping the muzzle in anticipation of the recoil (something I am still working out). I give a few pointers such as concentrate on keeping the front site still and maintain a slow firm squeeze on the trigger.

All nine hit the black.

I was like a proud father, in a weird way. By the end of 50 rounds he was shooting pretty damn good groups for a newbie.

So that's my story. Good night and good luck.

I brought a newbie to the range today too... my primary care doctor. It went very well, despite him being very nervous about it all. He enjoyed it all, except shooting a .357 revolver. That just scared the crap out of him.

Best part was all the other members that came by the help and offer assistance. He got a grade A introduction and found out that there were some very nice folks at the range.

Cheers,

Rich

Nice work!

I usually let the newbie dry fire a few down range after my demonstration and before their live fire. It helps them get a feel for the trigger, grip, stance, etc.

I brought a newbie to the range today too... my primary care doctor. It went very well, despite him being very nervous about it all. He enjoyed it all, except shooting a .357 revolver. That just scared the crap out of him.

Best part was all the other members that came by the help and offer assistance. He got a grade A introduction and found out that there were some very nice folks at the range.

Cheers,

Rich

Funny... the person I mentioned here is also Jewish and also from New Jersey originally.

Funny... the person I mentioned here is also Jewish and also from New Jersey originally.

We (Jews) are not all like that, but I have to say that the vast majority of American Jews that I know live in a fantasy world and would like to ban all weapons and are convinced that then we'd all get along by holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

In my quest to introduce as many of my friend as possible to the fun of target shooting, I took my roommate up to Danvers F&G. Initially I was hesitant to ask since he is a Jewish kid, is very quite, and is from NJ (very anti-gun). The worst scenario I could see playing out was I ask him to go, he says no, objects to me having firearms in the apt, and causes a very uncomfortable situation for the remainder of the time we are roommates. I bit the bullet anyway and posed the question when a bunch of us were out the other day and he expressed interest in going.

Bingo.

So today we get to the range and I sit him down at the table and give him a rundown of how my XD works, the safety rules, grip, stance, aiming, etc. He gets comfortable with it so I we toe the line.

I start by putting nine rounds downrange so he can get an idea what the experience is like (sound, recoil, etc). I then turn it over to him. I load a single round into a magazine and let him fire away. Then two rounds, then three, then I load up the whole mag and he takes aim at the target at 25 feet away.

All nine missed low.

He was dipping the muzzle in anticipation of the recoil (something I am still working out). I give a few pointers such as concentrate on keeping the front site still and maintain a slow firm squeeze on the trigger.

All nine hit the black.

I was like a proud father, in a weird way. By the end of 50 rounds he was shooting pretty damn good groups for a newbie.

So that's my story. Good night and good luck.

WTF does the bolded option have anything to do with anything?

Not to keep pushing this but stereo typing any group is not cool. I'm no PCer but it's kind of messed up that "American Jews" are being labeled as anti gun. I found it pretty necessary to list the first time shooter as being Jewish. Would it be OK if the first timer was black and you labeled him a such when giving reason as to why you didn't think he'd go to the range? I just don't get it.

Not to keep pushing this but stereo typing any group is not cool. I'm no PCer but it's kind of messed up that "American Jews" are being labeled as anti gun. I found it pretty necessary to list the first time shooter as being Jewish. Would it be OK if the first timer was black and you labeled him a such when giving reason as to why you didn't think he'd go to the range? I just don't get it.

+1

Yes

Back
Top Bottom