• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took a 1st timer to the range today!

it absolutely is.. It's a culture and a race and some would argue nationality(though i say israeli)

it's not a race. What heritable trait do they share? big noses and bad hair? Were there no Jews before Israel?

It's a religion, nothing more

Last edited:
it absolutely is.. It's a culture and a race and some would argue nationality(though i say israeli)

It's not a Race! It's a religion. If I wanted to be Jewish I could convert and all of the sudden I'm Jewish. Wouldn't work so well If I wanted to be black. [wink]

I guess I'm hung up on the fact that you started this kid out at 25 feet with a pistol.

After years of shooting, I find I can do more to help someone enjoy their first shooting experience if you're shooting at 7' to 10' tops. :Make sure their first shots are hitting a sheet of paper and they are going to have a ball.

Local rule at our indoor range. I'm sure I could have asked the range officer at the time and explained the newb situation, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Most clubs that I'm familiar with have "fixed distances" ONLY! We are extremely lucky at MF&G that this is not the case and we can help newbies at shorter distances.

It was for that reason that a young couple joined us at MF&G this past Saturday. The Wife is a member of BR&P, which does not allow shooting at less than 27' (new outdoor pistol range).

That flexibility is what attracted me to MF&G too.

it's not a race. What heritable trait do they share? big noses and bad hair? Were there no Jews before Israel?

It's a religion, nothing more

I don't think that "race" is so clearly defined. Is race just skin color? If so, then are Chinese, Japanese, and Korean people all the same race? Are white people from South Africa the same race as Russians?

According to Wikipedia, "The term race or racial group usually refers to the categorization of humans into populations or groups on the basis of various sets of heritable characteristics." And many Jewish populations have certain heritable characteristics. So while Judaism is certainly a religion, it can be argued that it is also a race, although the set of people in the Jewish religion isn't necessarily identical to the set of people in the Jewish race.

Funny thing, about 2 months ago I was informed that "call a spade a spade" is a racist. I've been saying it for at least 2 decades, and learned it from my dad (who's black also, it runs in the family [wink]). My SDI in bootcamp (also black) LOVED that phrase, it was his catch phrase practically. About 2 months ago a coworker, who's white, admonished me for saying it. She told me that it's racist and offends African Americans. Who knew? I had to call my dad in front of her and tell him he's a closet bigot [smile].

Not exactly:
Some people today may use it pejoratively, but that is not the origin of the phrase- Tell your co-worker to look it up

"to call a spade a spade is NOT an ethnic slur.
It derives from an ancient Greek expression: _ta syka syka, te:n
skaphe:n de skaphe:n onomasein_ = "to call a fig a fig, a trough a
trough". This is first recorded in Aristophanes' play _The Clouds_
(423 B.C.), was used by Menander and Plutarch, and is still current
in modern Greek. There has been a slight shift in meaning: in
ancient times the phrase was often used pejoratively, to denote a
rude person who spoke his mind tactlessly; but it now, like the
English phrase, has an exclusively positive connotation. It is
possible that both the fig and the trough were originally sexual
symbols"

I don't think that "race" is so clearly defined. Is race just skin color? If so, then are Chinese, Japanese, and Korean people all the same race? Are white people from South Africa the same race as Russians?.

Generally, yes. The first group would be Asian/non Hispanic and the second example would be white/non Hispanic. I have never seen Jewish used as a race, which is why when someone makes a statement against Jews, it is generally called anti-semitism, not racism.

Chinese, Japanese, korean fall under the Mogoloid race

Race is defined as physical features skin color, cranial or facial features and hair texture. Features that are found in your genetic code. what chromosome is responsible for Judaism? You can choose to be Jew, you can not choose your race

Ethnicity yes, race, no

Race is defined as physical features skin color, cranial or facial features and hair texture. Features that are found in your genetic code. what chromosome is responsible for Judaism? You can choose to be Jew, you can not choose your race

Ethnicity yes, race, no

Take it easy. There is no need to bring facts and logic into this discussion.

Ethnicity yes, race, no

But I mentioned a distinction between religion and genetic factors. If a group of people selectively breed only with other members of that group, there is the potential to form a race. People use the word race to mean skin color, but if we mean skin color, we should just say that. Race can refer to any heritable characteristic, as long as that characteristic is present in the group.

I'm arguing semantics at this point. I don't actually think that there is a Jewish race. But there is an argument for it. But that argument would allow for many many races that aren't usually recognized as races.

Back
Top Bottom