• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took a 1st timer to the range today!

I also brought someone to the range. We went last night. She was the first person who I've brought shooting who didn't love it. We just shot my .22 pistol (that I picked up at Fitchburg over the weekend). If she had been really into it, maybe I would have broke out the .40 pistol. But we just stuck with the .22 and she was more into watching than shooting. That's not at all how I was when I learned to shoot.

She thought it was interesting and she was glad that she came, but she grew up in a high crime area where getting caught in crossfire between gangs was actually a concern. So I think she's still warming up to the idea of guns being used responsibly. She's well aware that they can be and are regularly used responsibly (and that I use them responsibly), but she hadn't been that close to it. I think it would have been better if we had the range to ourselves and she could have gotten comfortable with it without the noise of other people shooting.

Also, in response to the threadjacking that seems to be going on, I'm Jewish and I'm not anti-gun. And I know plenty of other Jews who aren't anti-gun. I also know plenty of Jews who are anti-gun. But I also know plenty of Christians and atheists who are anti-gun. So I don't really think that religion is particularly important with respect to guns. I think it's more that most American Jews are pretty liberal. And most liberal people are anti-gun.

Last edited:
So I don't really think that religion is particularly important with respect to guns. I think it's more that most American Jews are pretty liberal. And most liberal people are anti-gun.

That is probably a more accurate way of describing it. Most of the Jews who are my friends are pro-gun, however the Jews that I have met who I don't know are almost all the time anti-gun, and as you said probably liberal. [grin]

I'm Jewish too. I try not to be offended but that bacon remark was totally uncalled for. I know some Jews are pretty liberal. It bothers the crap out of me but honestly I don't know every-other Jew in the US so I cannot make broad remarks about all of us being anti gun. I obviously am not.

I am sorry for derailing the thread. But now I am just disgusted beyond belief. I guess it's ok to stereo type and make fun of a race of people as long as they're Jews right?

Talking_to_Me_Logo_big.jpg

Not to keep pushing this but stereo typing any group is not cool. I'm no PCer but it's kind of messed up that "American Jews" are being labeled as anti gun. I found it pretty necessary to list the first time shooter as being Jewish. Would it be OK if the first timer was black and you labeled him a such when giving reason as to why you didn't think he'd go to the range? I just don't get it.

A few others have already said it. Most American Jews are anti-gun. Exhibits include Charles Schumer, Feinstein (both of them), Rahm Emmanuel and Lautenberg. Not to mention Newton's own John Rosenberg.

Of course, there are plenty of American Jews that are equally pro-gun. Examples include Aaron Zelman, Irwin and Peter Schiff, and Milton Friedman.

But most American Jews are anti-gun. Which I think is the biggest irony of the modern era: Disarmament was critical step in the execution of his "Final Solution".

Yeah. These guys have also labeled American Jews as being anti-gun. They're trying to change it though.

Exactly.

Why?

I'm Jewish too. I try not to be offended but that bacon remark was totally uncalled for. I know some Jews are pretty liberal. It bothers the crap out of me but honestly I don't know every-other Jew in the US so I cannot make broad remarks about all of us being anti gun. I obviously am not.

I am sorry for derailing the thread. But now I am just disgusted beyond belief. I guess it's ok to stereo type and make fun of a race of people as long as they're Jews right?

Stereotype? It's well documented that a majority of American Jews are anti-gun.

How is a statistical fact a stereotype?

Not to keep pushing this but stereo typing any group is not cool. I'm no PCer but it's kind of messed up that "American Jews" are being labeled as anti gun. I found it pretty necessary to list the first time shooter as being Jewish. Would it be OK if the first timer was black and you labeled him a such when giving reason as to why you didn't think he'd go to the range? I just don't get it.

NOBODY SAID THAT ALL AMERICAN JEWS ARE ANTI GUN.

IT IS TRUE THAT MOST AMERICAN JEWS ARE ANTI GUN. WE HAVE JEWISH MEMBERS HERE THAT KNOW THAT AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT.

CALL A SPADE A SPADE.

Last edited by a moderator:
It boggles my mind that any person of Jewish faith could not be as pro-gun as the JPFO group. I'm not too worried about being PC or offending anyone, because I don't believe it is offensive to point out gross logical inconsistencies. For Jews to say "Never Again" in regards to the Holocaust and not support the ability of the individual to defend his life against tyrannical leaders (like, um, Hitler) makes no sense to me. At all.

Here's a dumb idea... I don't give a crap what your heritage is. I don't give a crap about your religion. I don't give a crap about your skin color. I don't give a crap about your political beliefs. I don't give a crap about your gender. I don't give a crap about your sexual preferences. I don't give a crap about how you comb your hair, about the clothes you wear, or just about anything else.

I will decide if you're someone I would care to associate with based upon whether you are a nice person or not. That is all you. It is how you treat other people, children and pets. It is about whether you tell the truth or not. It is about whether you keep your word. It is about whether I can trust you or not.

The rest does not matter to me. FYI a nice person might be anti-gun, a democrat, or a lesbian dwarf. I just don't care. I can disagree with nice people, but still be great friends.

If you chose your friends based upon their beliefs you are missing out in life.

Just hang with nice people.

Rich

Funny thing, about 2 months ago I was informed that "call a spade a spade" is a racist. I've been saying it for at least 2 decades, and learned it from my dad (who's black also, it runs in the family [wink]). My SDI in bootcamp (also black) LOVED that phrase, it was his catch phrase practically. About 2 months ago a coworker, who's white, admonished me for saying it. She told me that it's racist and offends African Americans. Who knew? I had to call my dad in front of her and tell him he's a closet bigot [smile].

I don't hang out with people who have no issue taking away my rights. It's pretty simple.

He said hang with nice people. What's nice about wanting to deny you your rights? Sounds like you two are on the same page. [smile]

The simple fact is that the OP took out a newbie to the range and quite possibly added to our ranks.

Really, I think that is a good thing.

Kudos to the OP.

As for the rest of the stuff here. [rolleyes][hmmm]

Funny thing, about 2 months ago I was informed that "call a spade a spade" is a racist. I've been saying it for at least 2 decades, and learned it from my dad (who's black also, it runs in the family [wink]). My SDI in bootcamp (also black) LOVED that phrase, it was his catch phrase practically. About 2 months ago a coworker, who's white, admonished me for saying it. She told me that it's racist and offends African Americans. Who knew? I had to call my dad in front of her and tell him he's a closet bigot [smile].

[rofl][laugh2]

I guess I'm hung up on the fact that you started this kid out at 25 feet with a pistol.

After years of shooting, I find I can do more to help someone enjoy their first shooting experience if you're shooting at 7' to 10' tops. :Make sure their first shots are hitting a sheet of paper and they are going to have a ball.

Shooting at 25 feet isn't that tough after you've shot a bit.

Sorry I can't comment on the Jewish part. I was thinking of the shooting part. My Sister married a Jewish Guy, and they have two kids. I take them all shooting.

I think someone had a good point to make here. Liberals are the problem, not Jews.

On the other hand, it is always amazing to me and the Jewish friends I speak to, that so many Jews are anti gun after the Holocaust.

It boggles my mind that any person of Jewish faith could not be as pro-gun as the JPFO group. I'm not too worried about being PC or offending anyone, because I don't believe it is offensive to point out gross logical inconsistencies. For Jews to say "Never Again" in regards to the Holocaust and not support the ability of the individual to defend his life against tyrannical leaders (like, um, Hitler) makes no sense to me. At all.

John, as a Jew that was surrounded by friends/family (as I grew up) that hate guns (and are Jewish), it blows my mind too. I can't explain it rationally either.

As one minor example, relevant to the OP's post, I was a member of a Boy Scout Troop sponsored by the Synagogue that I belonged to. When I went to Boy Scout Camp (Camp Child in Plymouth) I had a blast shooting (only experience that I ever had until I got my FID & LTC in 1976, >15 years later) and came back home wanting to get my shooting merit badge. The Scoutmaster refused to even think about running such an event. That and a few other similar things convinced me that I could never progress in the Scouts and I up and quit the Boy Scouts.

The simple fact is that the OP took out a newbie to the range and quite possibly added to our ranks.

Really, I think that is a good thing.

Kudos to the OP.

As for the rest of the stuff here. [rolleyes][hmmm]

Holy thread drift! Thanks for reminding me what this thread was even originally about. Rep inbound Steve-O, good work.

Back
Top Bottom