Too Much Scope???

Especially when that 6moa bulls eye blends into the + ! I have to use s line hold to shoot my 03a4
My Rock Ridge a4 uses the Hi Lux Malcolm M82 G2 and the problem at my 600 yd range is we have hay and grass placed at the base of the impact berm to help stabilize downhill berm errosion. The problem is that tall thick grass is growing and moving up the berm. When aiming at target center this literally places my elevation reticle line exactly at the top edge of the grass line. The grass is very dark and my cross hairs are black as well, it's getting very difficult to differentiate my cross hair from the dark grassy backstop. It was not an issue years ago when we had a light brown sandy berm color all the way to the base of the berm. My eyes are terrible as well and this doesn't help.

Most people are not going to use or test their scope to even notice a difference between $500 and $1000+
Show of hands
How many have actually ran a simple “box” test to see how your turrets track
How many have hung something other than a bulls eye to see how “clear and crisp” your scope is.?
If your shooting fixed distances yeah zero and forget it. You might get away with a $500 scope with a low round count.

in the end get the best with in your needs and budget.
My scopes run from cheep $30 scopes to $1300 with the rest hovering around $300 because the platforms dont demand much more and I could not afford to drop $800+ on every scoped rifle and would be silly to do so on a $100 rifle.
Most people don’t shoot any of their gums and might as well put a $65 Walmart scope on it.

I have personally adopted the philosophy of have fewer firearms and the ones I have setup as best I can. That for me means a gen 2 Viper PST is the base line (still not a particularly good scope) but ticks enough of the boxes for around $1k. I will be upgrading both of the Viper PST 5-25 on my .22 and my 6mm to Vortex Razors over the winter when I typically would have spent money buying new guns.

If your sole purpose is to make holes very close together at long distance most people do the opposite of that. Take your rifle price DOUBLE IT and start there.
The Army sure does on its designated marksman and sniper hardware. The optics cost double what the rifles do. But they are f***ing dead on. I was never a dm or sniper lol......I was a logistics officer......and when your unit takes good care of the scout platoon they invite the forward support company 1sg and commander to come out a play. Those scopes are amazing. They had me hitting 800 and 1000 meter steel shilouetts on the first trigger press.

My Rock Ridge a4 uses the Hi Lux Malcolm M82 G2 and the problem at my 600 yd range is we have hay and grass placed at the base of the impact berm to help stabilize downhill berm errosion. The problem is that tall thick grass is growing and moving up the berm. When aiming at target center this literally places my elevation reticle line exactly at the top edge of the grass line. The grass is very dark and my cross hairs are black as well, it's getting very difficult to differentiate my cross hair from the dark grassy backstop. It was not an issue years ago when we had a light brown sandy berm color all the way to the base of the berm. My eyes are terrible as well and this doesn't help.
Same here , sometimes I want to mount a nice set of redfield aperture sights and just line up the circles. I would probably shoot better!

odd topic - it all depends upon a target and required accuracy.
a lot of military rifles had 4x fixed scopes and it was just fine, considering you hit a full size human or torso target, somewhere.

if you intent to shoot through the center of the dime at 100yds - then you need at least 15x magnification to just see it properly, and, most importantly, to see the bullet holes of your impacts.
to hit a 1" red center in a splash target - a 10x would do. to ring a steel place i can do just fine with a 3x prism - but to hit a 1" target bullseye with it is a challenge.

and never take anything for granted - get the scope and test it yourself, to find out if it works for you or not. there is a ton of great glass in <$500 range and ton of shitty glass in $1000 range.

Back
Top Bottom