• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Too much Gun?

I saw this somewhere else on the internet and I thought I would post it here. There's a lot of people on this board that should heed this advice.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntingbulletin.hntbul8#cartridges

Cartridges of Alaska's Hunters – Too Much Gun?

Southcentral Alaska's five most popular rifle cartridges for big game:
7mm Rem. Mag., .30-06, .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win. Mag., .375 H&H Mag.
As Southcentral hunters prepared for the 1999 hunting season Lee Rogers, rangemaster at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game's Rabbit Creek Range in Anchorage, conducted a survey of 1,848 Alaskan hunters. Rogers surveyed hunters to find out what cartridges Alaskan hunters are choosing for their big game hunting. According to Lee, hunters sighted in rifles using 70 different cartridges during the July to September survey.

The most popular cartridge with Southcentral hunters is the tried and true .30-06, used by 387 or 21 percent of hunters. The .30-06 was closely followed by the .300 Winchester Magnum with 342, and the .338 Winchester Magnum with 339. Lee says these three cartridges combined are used by almost six out of ten Southcentral hunters. There was a huge drop from the .338 Winchester to the next most popular cartridge, the 7mm Remington Magnum with 157 users.

Lee also looked at cartridges by caliber. The 30 caliber, for almost 60 years the choice of the U.S. military, boasted 912 users or almost exactly one-half of all hunters surveyed. The highly popular .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum are joined in this group by the .308 Winchester, .30-30, .307 Winchester, .300 Savage, .300 Weatherby Magnum, and the new .300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

ALASKA TOP TEN CARTRIDGES
Cartridge # of Hunters %
.30-06 387 20.9
.300 Win. Mag. 342 18.5
.338 Win. Mag. 339 18.4
7mm Rem. Mag. 157 8.5
.375 H&H Mag. 116 6.3
.270 Win. 108 5.8
.308 Win. 65 3.5
.300 Weath. Mag. 64 3.5
45-70 Gov. 25 1.4
.280 Rem. 20 1.1

Taking a distant second place were the cartridges using .338 diameter bullets. The increasingly popular .338 Winchester was joined in this group by the wildcat .338-06 and the .340 Weatherby Magnum. Almost one out of five hunters are using these medium-bore rifles for their big game hunting.

The third most popular caliber proved to be the 7mm. Led by the 7mm Remington Magnum, the 7mm clan had 202 users or about 1 of 10 Southcentral hunters. The 280 Remington, 7X57 Mauser, 7mm-08, and 7mm Shooting Times Westerner were used by a total of 42 hunters.

The classic Alaskan brown bear cartridge, the .375 H&H showed well, being used by 116 or 6.3 percent of all the hunters surveyed. Cartridges with the word “Magnum” in their name accounted for 1086 or 58.7 percent of all cartridges used.

This last statistic is the most interesting, according to Lee Rogers, who talks with and watches over 15,000 shooters each year. Many hunters, says Rogers, are uncomfortable with their loud, hard-recoiling magnums. Lee says that when a hunter is shooting a hard-kicking slobber-knocker" magnum, he or she often sights-in the rifle from a bench rest as quickly as possible and then packs up and leaves the range. Sometimes the hunter may even have to quit before the rifle is fully ready for the hunting fields.

To confirm his theory that too much gun frequently results in too little practice, Rogers conducted a short study on hunters' ability to shoot their rifles from hunting positions at game-sized targets. During the summer of 1999, Lee asked more than 80 hunters to chronograph their hunting loads to determine the actual velocity. Hunters sighted in their rifles under Lee's expert supervision on a secure, stable bench rest. After sighting in, hunters were asked to shoot three shots at the vital, heart-lung zone of a full-sized moose silhouette, standing broadside at a distance of 100 yards. The individuals in the study averaged 19 years of hunting experience.

Rogers says that less than one-half (46 percent) of hunters placed all three shots in the 16-inch by 24-inch vital zone. Twenty-eight percent of all shots taken would have wounded rather than immediately killed the moose. Most of the wounding shots are, in the opinion of Rogers, the result of too much gun and too little practice from the basic hunting positions of sitting, kneeling, and off-hand. Only about one out of ten hunters practices shooting from these hunting positions after sighting in their rifle, states rangemaster Rogers.

This lack of practical practice, compounded by the use of a gun that is simply unpleasant to shoot, is likely to result in wounding and crippling animals. In a Department of Fish and Game telephone survey of Alaskan hunters, 38 percent said they had killed a big game animal that had been previously wounded by another hunter. According to Rogers, the results of this survey seem to confirm what he sees daily.

Do Alaskan hunters need these big-kicking magnums for big game? Not really, say most biologists, hunter educators, and experienced big game hunters. Big game animals are not killed by foot-pounds of kinetic energy or some mystical “knock-down” power. Big game is consistently, quickly, and humanely killed by accurate, precise placement of a well-constructed bullet in the vital heart-lung area. A cartridge loaded with a 180 grain Nosler (partition bullet) fired from the 94-year-old .30-06 will almost always pass completely through a moose or caribou, taking out both lungs. Rogers says that hunters should find a cartridge and gun they can shoot comfortably enough to fire 30 to 40 rounds during a practice session. After sighting in, all the hunter's practice should be from hunting positions likely to be used in the field.

Furthermore, when hunters chronograph their magnum factory loads they are often surprised they are getting so much buck and bang and so little gain. For example, during Roger's survey 15 hunters using .300 Winchester Magnum factory ammunition loaded with 180 grain bullets averaged 2,919 feet per second for 45 shots. Twelve different .30-06 rifles using factory ammunition loaded with 180-grain bullets chronographed 2,644 feet per second. See, some say, you get 275 feet per second difference! In the real world of hunting that works out to a gain of about 25 yards in range in exchange for easily one-third more recoil and a hefty increase in muzzle blast!

What about bears, hunters ask? Shouldn't Alaskan hunters have a magnum in case I have a run-in with 'ol fuzzy? Bear experts say that alertness in the field and keen observation skills are better protection than a magnum rifle. Analysis of bear encounters reveals the fact that most surprise encounters with a bear are just that, a surprise. Fortunately for bear and man, the bear usually swaps ends and runs away. In the rare event of a genuine charge the distance is typically measured in feet, and the hunter most likely carrying his rifle slung over the shoulder or in one hand. Under these circumstances he has no real chance to gather himself, ram a cartridge in the chamber and make an accurate, aimed shot at any vital area. In the even more unlikely event that the hunter is carrying his rifle “at-the-ready” and is able to take an aimed shot, a well-placed .30-06 will do more good than a poorly placed .300 or even .375 magnum. Most of us are simply better off hunting with a partner, remaining alert to bear sign, avoiding dense thickets where visibility is virtually zip, and quickly moving game meat away from the gut pile.

Hunters are responsible for wise use of our wildlife resource and using too much gun that results in wounded and crippled animals is not what we should aim for when we hunt

All it takes is MONEY!

fire 30 to 40 rounds during a practice session.

Lets see: Weatherby .340 Mag at $89 per box of 20 rounds. What the hell. Anybody want to go pop off a few hundred rounds? You buy the Ammo. Ive got the gun and I used to have one of these Scooters Too.

royrodgers.jpg

Last edited:
i have always wonderd why anyone one would use anything else but the 30-06 for north american game, you dont need any bigger. shot placement is what matters most

Ahhhh...the .35 Whelen. Don't see that mentioned much. I really like that cartridge as well as the .35 Whelen AI. But, 30-06 makes up the vast majority of what I have and will shoot.
Bear country necessitates the addition of a S&W Model 29, a big @$$ knife, and a really slow huntin' buddy.

Unfortunately for me, I tend to be the slow huntin' buddy.

Springer; Very nice post!

BS. More bears have been killed in Alaska with the .30-06 than any other rifle cartridge.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Anyone who has teeth like yours, should stick to things you know about. Moonpies, pork rinds, and wild turkey!

Ahhhh...the .35 Whelen. Don't see that mentioned much.---
My favorite hunting cartridge. A 225gr spitzer boatail, moving at 2600-2700 fps, from a Remington 700 Classic with a Leupold 1.5-5 sitting on top.

Respectfully,

jkelly

You have never been in bear country then.

A few good examples of how you’re incorrect here:

Man kills brown bear with 9mm pistol

http://dwb.adn.com/front/story/1633810p-1751603c.html

Man kills polar bear with a .223

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/mar/28/polar-bear-killed-fort-yukon/

Man kills brown bear with .220 Swift

http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/bears/attacks/story/8803434p-8704592c.html

What’s the common theme in all of these stories – SHOT PLACEMENT -- not caliber.

There may be a large number of bears that have been killed by the 30'06, but there is more to that than just a quick comment of numbers. Part has to do with the gross number of rifles ( including-at the time, less expensive bolt guns,ect), as well as guns you have to look at availabilty of ammo.
Having lived and worked there, as well as having close friends who guide the big browns, I will tell you that I have yet to meet a guide who carried a 30'06. But, I have met more that one who said if that's the limit to what a guy can shoot well...then shoot the 06. The 06 is great-but it's a jack of all trades and a master of none. Above all else, shoot what you can well. But big browns are not something to tickle with!!!!!!!
By the way, more deer have been shot with the 30-30 than anything else, but not exactly my 1st or 2nd choice in most deer hunting situation. In Alaska, you are definately not at the top of the food chain.

There may be a large number of bears that have been killed by the 30'06, but there is more to that than just a quick comment of numbers. Part has to do with the gross number of rifles ( including-at the time, less expensive bolt guns,ect), as well as guns you have to look at availabilty of ammo.
Having lived and worked there, as well as having close friends who guide the big browns, I will tell you that I have yet to meet a guide who carried a 30'06. But, I have met more that one who said if that's the limit to what a guy can shoot well...then shoot the 06. The 06 is great-but it's a jack of all trades and a master of none. Above all else, shoot what you can well. But big browns are not something to tickle with!!!!!!!
By the way, more deer have been shot with the 30-30 than anything else, but not exactly my 1st or 2nd choice in most deer hunting situation. In Alaska, you are definately not at the top of the food chain.

I also have significant experience with Alaskan bears. The point of the article and the center of my argument is accurancy aways trumps power. A hit with a .22LR is better than a miss with a .50BMG. When I made my last post, I was looking for a particular story but could not find it. It was the story of a couple of Alaskan native kids that used to kill coastal Brown bears with .22LRs. That's no typo, they killed over 20 coastal browns with .22LR rifles and great shot placement (supposedly ear shots). They only killed 20 because their aim was off with the 21st. Too many people on this board buy the newest super wiz bang uber modulator gun and can't hit anything with it. Check out the second post in this thread. This is the perfect example, bitching about the cost of thirty or forty rounds of ammo for his rifle. How often do you think that rifle get shot per year? How much does a case of 30-06 cost from the CMP? Pretty damn cheap in comparison. Someone could order 768 rounds of 30-06 from the CMP for $200. That's a lot of practice. How many rounds do the people shooting the exotic calibers on the list shoot annually. The article itself states not many. Too expensive, too painful.
BTW, did you notice that all of the stories that I posted including the first where from Alaska? As the initial story stated, half of the people that visited the rabbit creek range, couldn't hit anything with their rifles. These are the experienced Alaskans that you're describing. They sure can miss well with their big bore rifles.

I have yet to meet a guide who carried a 30'06.

Funny you mention this, because I watched a hunting show on TV, and it was a brown hunt. When they were talking about the gun, the guide said it was a 308, and that nothing more was needed. In that particular episode, it was a 1 shot kill from 160 or so yards away.

Again back to the original topic, it's not some huge overly powerful exotic caliber that makes the kill, but rather a properly placed shot, from the hands of a well practiced, and experienced shooter.

Back
Top Bottom