1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Too much boat? Not enough truck?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Radtekk, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

2. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Not enough trailer

3. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Could have been worse, at least it had a softer landing and wasn't completely horizontal.

xjma99 likes this.
  4. boilermaker

boilermaker NES Member

The truck was assisted by the loader in pulling. I think the tandem didn't judge the corner right. That is a bad day

5. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

better call saul!

6. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

Driver ran out of talent

Admin, robjax, Cap'n Mike and 2 others like this.
  7. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

That will buff right out.

8. radioman

radioman NES Member

Plenty of truck, plenty of trailer. The loader towing the truck meant there was not enough tongue weight to give the truck enough traction to pull that trailer up that small incline. meaning the trailer was improperly loaded from the get go. The loader did not allow the driver of the truck to negotiate the corner properly. He dropped the left side trailer bogies into the mud and it was all over from there.

PS— The boat from the get go has a 5° list to starboard. More evidence the loading was not correct. Bunch of amateurs.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    shiprec13 and xjma99 like this.
  9. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

yep, idiots.
    Was listing to starboard at the beginning, then fell to port.
    their mention of flat tires will make good courtroom deposition material.

10. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Hey, shit happens. It’s only money.

mibro and Jason Flare like this.
  11. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

Biggest thing I ever towed was a car on a sling wrecker, that was enough for me. Biggest thing I ever towed WITH was a 28' RV pulling my bike on a m/c trailer. Couldn't see the bike in the mirrors, pretty quickly figured out I didn't WANT to...

dingbat likes this.
  12. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I’d scare the hell out of most towing a boat.
    If it’s tied down tight with proper rated straps it will be stronger then the trailer.

Some a**h*** pulled out in front of me towing my Mako. I was shocked that boat didn’t turn into a missile. Wife left a mark in her shorts.

13. Ski

Ski

The left side of the trailer ended up off the pavement. trucker effed up.

14. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Not enough trailer, Loaded wrong, the left trailer tires went onto the soft shoulder and it was over.

upload_2019-7-11_22-22-15.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  15. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan NES Member

I tow a small Grady dual console occasionally when I take it off my mooring (small but heavy)... bring it off the Cape after the summer and back on after the winter. I stay in the right lane 95% of the time unless I have to pass, and I'm always amazed at the a-holes that think nothing of cutting really close... mostly getting on exit ramps without even looking or giving it a second thought. Brutal.

Woodstock likes this.
  16. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Absolutely wrong equipment for that job... not nearly enough trailer. That's the type of thing that would normally be moved by a real heavy lift crew, but the people involved probably skinflinted and didn't want to pay... [rofl]

Jason Flare likes this.
  17. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    The iceberg failed to yield.

18. jasonj84

jasonj84 Dealer NES Member

Who knew this was another NES Skinflint thread?

ToddDubya, Energizer, drgrant and 2 others like this.
  19. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

Wild story for sure...

On another semi related note...this was being towed from Lake of the Ozarks. I found out this week that my Navy roommate's uncle designed and led the construction on the dam that created that lake...Bagnell Dam. He never mentioned it in all the four years we shared an apartment. It was only through a mutual friend that I found out.

20. CWulf

CWulf NES Member

Clearly a need for more cow bell.

21. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Lol, yeah, a truck with no tag axle on it pulling a lowbed. First warning sign right there. There are dump trucks set up better than that. Where'd they get that tractor from, penske? [rofl] Yes, it may be well within the rating but it's still a bad sign.

Plus the truck can't even pull it up that little hill? Probably bad loading, but still. Shows bad trailer for distributing the weight.

Plus the boat doesn't fit on the trailer properly. A sign the thing is just too big for it.

Also, hear the lady talking about the tires being flat? Turn up the volume. Probably because its OVERLOADED. That trailer looks
    like it was designed for much smaller boats.

This whole thing has 110% skinflint written all over it. It's one thing to flint on equipment if you're moving boring shit all the
    time but in this category flinting results in an overall mindset that makes stuff like this happen.

-Mike

Uzi2 and mibro like this.
  22. radioman

radioman NES Member

That first line is comical? So if I have an 8 wheel low bed, which that trailer is not a standard equipment hauling low-bed it’s a specialized boat trailer, I need a 12 wheel tractor? Explain?

Second line just as funny. Yes the tractor is well within design limits but it’s a bad design because I said so? WTF? Explain?

Third line— trailer is loaded improperly so that makes it a bad trailer for weight distribution? What? Please explain?

10 wheel tractor bad design? Only 90% of what’s on the road is the same. You’d better contact the DOT quick! Perfectly capable of pulling a low bed. I drove a 10 wheel tractor pulling every kind of trailer from flats to bottles for 25yrs. Never a problem. Why would you think a tag or pusher is necessary? Looks like there’s not enough room under the tongue for an additional axel to be of any use? Not to mention a tag or pusher axel lessons drive wheel traction not increases it. That trailer is designed for a 10 wheel tractor. Not a bad trailer, at best it’s the wrong trailer. These things don’t load themselves. Not enough information. Trailer might have been adjustable who knows. Do the bogies slide? Is the length adjustable? Unless you have some kind of inside information you must be a psychic? The problem here is the people not the equipment.

What’s wrong with Penske? They supply 30% of the companies out there. I’ve driven their equipment, no different than any other leasing Co.

PS—-That load is way to big to be towed over the road. To high to wide. So where are they going? They’d never make it under the first bridge if they were to go off site. If I were to guess they’re moving the boat to some type of onsite storage or doing a portage. Definitely not hitting the road.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  23. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    You can see the left tires drop off the pavement just before the boat tips. It also looks like the boat isnt far enough onto the trailer. It's way at the rear.

If you watch the zoomed in part where the boat falls you can see somebody inside getting thrown across the the boat. (not the guy on the back leaning away)

24. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I saw that earlier this week somewhere. It looked like a pile of issues. If you can't handle that incline, what are you going to do out on the road??? Yeah, I really want you pulling out onto some backwater Missouri "highway" towing that thing getting it up to a whole 20mph after 3 miles.

That trailer looks wrong. Just dead wrong. That load is pretty damned high. Seems too far back.

Finally - definitely bad drivers. You want your best guys on that one with the high center of gravity and lack of power.

25. whatluck

whatluck

lol so much fail, and people are already getting their panties in a wad over this one

its friday. chill

buckfarack likes this.
  26. hpm

hpm NES Member

No one talking about the real issue here...how hard can it be to turn a effing cell phone by 90 degrees when recording?

TLB, atmay, kevin9 and 8 others like this.
  27. 1776

1776 NES Member

Hire Bubba, get Bubba results

28. boatman

boatman

Odd to skinflint it, the boat must be several hundred thou assuming it doesn't have large holes where we can't see

29. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

So, what are the rules of salvage rights on dry land?

Jason Flare, whatluck and buckfarack like this.
  30. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

I could have sworn I saw people still on board after it tipped. They may be cheap, but they're not abandoning ship.

Jason Flare likes this.