1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Tony Stewart runs over driver...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jay89, Aug 10, 2014.

1. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx

I've never raced professionally, but I have run several SCCA races (auto-x, rally-x) and I've worked some ALMS races at Lime Rock Park. I'm not going to jump on the blame Tony bandwagon, but seriously, who the hell gets out of their car on a f*cking race track and charges a moving car? Anyone who's ever driven a race car of any kind knows just how hard they are to control. And also, why was the race not red flagged when he got out and started walking on the track? Sounds like a clear case of PSGWSP, to me.

2. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

did stewart even see ward is the question. We don't expect to see foot traffic on a closed racing circuit. At night. On a turn where the driver's eyes are looking at the turn exit, not directly in front.

3. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx

Really good point. Those helmets aren't easy to see out of, and the track lights have a lot of glare.

4. new guy

new guy NES Member

Had Stewart and Ward been going at it prior to Ward crashing? If so I'd imagine that Stewart was looking ahead for Ward as he came back around.

5. Buggin

Buggin Dealer NES Member

Maybe he shoulda been wearing this?
    [​IMG]

6. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

Mr. Ward made choices.

He chose to try the high line on a dirt track.

He chose not to concede the position.

The consequence was an off. He hit the wall.

Next he chose to exit his car.

He chose to go all testosterone and confront someone in a moving racing car.

He chose to put himself in the path of that car.

The consequence was deadly.

He is responsible for his choices and his actions. Period.

Mr. Ward created the unsafe situation himself by leaving his car and walking on the track. Had he chosen to wait for the marshals and settle things another way, he'd still be alive. Tony Stewart is not responsible for Ward creating an unsafe situation.

It's like blaming a soccer mom or semi driver or you or me for hitting a nutcase trying to run across 6 lanes of interstate.

Attend a track day. Listen to the drivers' briefing. If you wreck, stay in your car until marshals arrive if it is safe to do so. If you race cars, you will wreck cars on track.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. whacko

whacko

OMG this will give the NASCAR fans fodder for arguements for at least a decade. NASCAR fans IMO are about as bad as WWF fanantic that go back and forth over their favorite wrestler....the only difference is NASCAR is an actual competition not a "Show"......the friggin drama in NASCAR is INSANE!!!!! This will be another event where the Tony haters will cry foul only because they hate tony.......if it were their favorite driver theyd be defending him.........NASCAR fans have an incessant way of being ignorant to reality if it suits their opinion of their "fav"!
    [popcorn]

8. new guy

new guy NES Member

Agree entirely, but his actions don't absolve Stewart if it turns out that there was any level of intent behind Stewart hitting him.

9. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

No way to prove that. The fact is Ward created the unsafe situation. The rest is just speculation. Ward violated a basic rule of track safety. He is to blame.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tyke

Tyke

Let's makea hypothetical. Let's say Stewart DID intentionally hit him. Is he still absolved of all blame?

11. l3uddha

l3uddha

Slamming on the brakes coming out of a turn on dirt would break what little traction is there and likely slide you uncontrolled towards the outside wall, possibly closer to or directly into Ward and his car. Turning sharply inward could break traction and send you sliding sideways towards the outside wall, Ward and his car. Looks like Stewart was on the same line as the previous pass. Regardless, Ward knew the risks and signed the waiver. He should never have been so dumb to run into traffic like that and wins the Darwin award. To me Ward put both of them in a no-win situation. Result was bad, but he put himself there. Then again I'm just trying to add to the already 230 posts of pure speculation.

12. Cap

Cap

^This, period.

This thread is retarded - I neither race, nor watch racing (rarely), and I know that you want to stay in the car until its clear to get out; not stomp into the middle of the track trying to look like a badass while cars are still in the race...

13. TZCHRIS

TZCHRIS NES Member

If there were no crashes or fights in this sport the there would only be crickets watching, when you strap on the helmate you assume the risk, when you get out and chase after the guy who put you in the wall you compound this risk. Bottom line for me is if you intentional step in front of me weather I am on the gas or the brake is besides the point.

14. mikem317

mikem317

The only exception of course is if you're in immediate danger and egress out of the vehicle is required for your very survival - e.g. vehicle on fire.

Seems like a tragic case of PSGWSP. Road rager has road rage.

15. Inferno

Inferno

Is Ben the only one who understands how sliding/drifting in a car works?

Say you are in a parking lot dicking around in the snow. You make a hard left turn and kick your rear end out to the right. All of a sudden you realize "oh shit I'm about to hit that light pole if i keep holding this turn"
    What do you do? You turn the wheel to the right and gas it to get your tail end to kick out to the left to miss the pole.
    No OMG HE HIT HIM ON PURPOSE.
    No OMG HE TRIED TO SCARE HIM.
    No OMG HE TRIED TO SPRAY HIM WITH MUD.

That's it, that's all. If you guys seriously think he tried to hit him on purpose from this shitty shaky one single viewpoint cellphone video, I have no words for you.

Edit: Also, stay the **** in the car.

16. finest

finest NES Member

The side boards on the right hand side of the wing on a sprintcar can impeade your view to the right. This was mentioned by the driver of the 45 sprintcar at the track that said he did not see Ward until the last minute.

17. ntomsw

ntomsw Banned

Every other driver that passed Ward, saw him just fine.

18. atilla

atilla

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

I'd say that's between Stewart and his conscience. I doubt a grand jury would bother with this case given that Ward created the dangerous situation.

20. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

You mean the one directly in front of Stewart?

The same could be said for this type of incident (skip to 0:30):

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  21. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx

That accident was caused by GM's faulty ignition.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  22. xtry51

xtry51

Other witnesses said he (tony) could not see him in front of the other driver and that he was reaching out to hit Tony's car. You can see tony is swerving AWAY from him in the video while punching the gas just as it happens.

Lesson here is to stop being a ****ing retard and walking out onto a race track just because your butt hurt about being put into the wall. You know, because that never happens in racing.

Tragic ending to a stupid thing to do.

1 person likes this.
  23. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx

I was told that in racing, everyone is a winner. Maybe if we gave out participatory ribbons to everyone, then competition wouldn't be so fierce, and people wouldn't be so hot-headed about crashing.

1 person likes this.
  24. slugworth

slugworth

I tend to agree now after watching it over and over. Also that dirt is packed down and those racing shoes don't have much grip. He might of slipped trying to punch Tonys car ect.

25. robjax

robjax

Absolutely, and I think the last thing you exp0ect to see on a race track is a pedestrian in the crosswalk...lol....

26. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

Did you watch the clip? Only one other driver passed him at the same distance. They're not driving trucks....

1 person likes this.
  27. xtry51

xtry51

There's a reason most racing leagues actually have rules about not walking on the track.

Also while it seems they are "driving slow" it helps to remember under caution they're still going highway speed. Those style cars will get up into the 130-140 range.

28. CockedAndLocked

CockedAndLocked Banned

This thread title "Tony Stewart runs over driver..." should be changed to "Dumba$$ plays chicken with race car"

1 person likes this.
  29. BobR51

BobR51

It happens every day in America. Stupid kid does stupid stunt with vehicle>pays with life.
    They all think they're immortal or something.

30. Trackrat

Trackrat

A lot comments on distance and thinking Stewart should have been able to avoid him. Did you folks seriously not notice the kid ran down the track? When he's out of camera view do you really think he stopped doing that? He purposely closed the distance between himself and the car for whatever stupid reason.