tonight on Dan Rea - fired pro-NRA journalist

Stacy Washington Joins NightSide! Stacy is a conservative writer and radio host based in Missouri. Her most recent column at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, a pro-NRA piece, caused her suspension. Editorial page editor Tod Robberson publicly stated that her affiliation with the NRA was an “unacceptable conflict of interest.” Is the St. Louis Post-Dispatch being too harsh with their stance on gun rights? What are your thoughts on this matter? Call in and be heard!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/0...-who-defended-nra-quits-after-suspension.html

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinio...cle_e5a09ae1-d71a-52ef-945f-00d60e1f24b5.html

unacceptable conflict of interest?

If you dig deeper, the claim of an “unacceptable conflict of interest" is based on her past appearances on NRA TV?
St. Louis Post-Dispatch Editor said:
Her active promotional activities and professional association with the National Rifle Association represented an unacceptable conflict of interest in her most recent column, which resulted in our suspension of her work. Ms. Washington chose to terminate her contract. Columnists are expected to fully disclose conflicts of interest when writing about topics where such a conflict might arise. We apply this standard regardless of the lobbying or advocacy group being written about in a column.

If you dig deeper, the claim of an “unacceptable conflict of interest" is based on her past appearances on NRA TV?

Funny how this "conflict or interest" only comes up for conservative issues. Never seems to be an issue in the other direction.

Seems she appeared in an NRA documentary? Seems to me I've seen plenty of journalists appearing in all kinds of documentaries; is that the extent of her main NRA involvement?

Plus, anyone have a link to her original editorial? All the ones I'm finding seem to require me to log in to the St Louis Post-Dispatch, which I ain't doing.

and she's black, if this woman was a liberal/gay/LGBT activist the paper would be getting destroyed. She never received a dime from the NRA

Dan Rea is a distant cousin of mine. Which means I'm sorta related to the folks that own the Pawtucket Red Sox. Don't think I'm gonna get a discount on my season tix, tho.

To think that Dan Rea is conservative - if you knew my family - is pretty funny. LOL I'm literally the black sheep of my dad's family, politics-wise. My uncles sit around wondering how normal human beings are able to purchase weapons that can kill a person. Hook, line and sinker.

Thanks, Cousin Dan!

Funny how this "conflict or interest" only comes up for conservative issues. Never seems to be an issue in the other direction.
Back when I worked in the industry, newspapers mostly had a strict ethics policy, and actually enforced it in a non-partisan manner. Donating time or money to any political cause or campaign was grounds for termination. My former employer fired very popular reporters for ethical breaches, not because they were left or right-leaning, usually some sort of sex scandal.

and she's black, if this woman was a liberal/gay/LGBT activist the paper would be getting destroyed. She never received a dime from the NRA

Well, not exactly -- NRA did reimburse expenses, see below:
Riverfront Times said:
"You did not disclose in your column published today that you served multiple times as a co-host and commentator on Cam & Company on NRA TV," he wrote. He noted that her column was "problematic in many ways," but it was her work with the NRA that represented an unforgivable ethical breach.

"Advocating for the NRA," he wrote, "while failing to disclose that you did media work on this lobbying organization and its television station goes far beyond the bounds of any acceptable journalistic standard."

However, Washington says she has never been paid by the NRA. And beyond that, her ties to the organization shouldn't have surprised Robberson. Her credits for co-hosting shows on NRA News are highlighted her own website — and, even closer to home, the Post-Dispatch's own Joe Holleman had reported on Washington's contribution to an NRA documentary in August 2016, just a few months before she joined the paper on a freelance basis.

In fact, on the day her column ran, Washington was in Atlanta to attend NRA's annual convention.

In an interview with Riverfront Times, Washington says the suspension came as a total shock. "I'm a second amendment supporter, it is known to people at the Post-Dispatch that I am a supporter of the NRA, I’ve never hidden it," she says. "I was never paid by the NRA."

Washington maintains that the NRA only paid her expenses for her work on the documentary, and that her stints as a fill-in co-host on NRA News programs were similarly unpaid.

Back
Top Bottom