Tom King (NYSRPA) responds to 80% lower comment criticism

Goliathan

NES Member
Background for anyone not following this: Last week Tom King, NRA board member and president of the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association (NYSRPA) came under fire for comments he allegedly made to Newsday (a NYC rag) in which he was said to support a ban on 80% lowers. The Truth About Guns picked up on the article and ran with it, criticizing King for his comments.

The original Newsday article:

TTAG article and condemnation:

On Thursday, Ammoland posted an article in which Tom King claims his earlier comments were taken out of context, and that he doesn't support a ban on 80% lowers, or in fact any guns at all.

Ammoland:

So... is this a walk-back of ill-advised earlier comments, or did Newsday pretty much put words into King's mouth?

Dunno exactly what he said but it wouldn’t surprise me that a 2A fighter in NY can be seen as a statist weasel elsewhere.

Here's his supposed refutation:

I referenced a case in New York State where someone was illegally manufacturing, assembling and selling firearms –including full autos. As you know, those are illegal acts. I do not condone anyone intentionally breaking the law as I believe that only helps our opposition.

So, let me set the record straight. I oppose all registration and believe all lawful gun owners have the right to own the firearm of his or her choice whenever and where ever they choose. I believe ours is a country based on common law and the way to challenge laws we consider unconstitutional is in the voting booths and the courts, as we are doing in our U.S. Supreme Court case NYSRPA v. NYC and our Second Circuit Court of Appeals Case NYSRPA v. Beach, Cuomo et.al. We will win the battle!

I'm not seeing it. Saying you're against registration isn't quite the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom