• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tom Gresham's response to the Wounded Warrior project

Lord0fWar

NES Member
This was posted by a friend:

BRAVO to Tom Gresham! In response to the Wounded Warrior Project's desire to distance themselves from the shooting community, Tom has adopted the "No Shrug" policy. (I like it, and someone needs to come up with a "No Shrug" logo for gun owners to show that we won't accept being sent to the back of the bus.)

Please read the article in its entirety, link to it and share with everyone you know, and DON'T GIVE ANY MONEY TO THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT. Listen to Tom's show and you'll learn about a whole lot of other, more deserving, organizations serving our veterans.

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/features/226813

the last paragraph really sums up how we all should act

On Gun Talk Radio I created a "No Shrug" policy. We will always speak up. No longer will we just shrug when faced with a distorted media report about guns. No longer will we just go about our business when a politician makes outrageous claims about gun owners. No longer will we continue to give money to, or do business with, any outfit which in any way labels us as "undesirables." To shrug and just go on is to not just accept the demonization, but it actually agrees with it and supports it.

And I hope they have a lot of luck with this
I had hoped that WWP would come to its senses. Once it became clear that the policy would not change, many identified and donated to other groups which help vets, and which are only too happy to be associated with guns, hunting and shooting. Last Sunday I had someone from marineparents.com on the radio show. Each week for the rest of the year, we'll have various groups which help wounded veterans on the radio to help them get additional exposure.

I wrote a letter to the Wounded Warrior Project and received a response from them; the letters are below:

[FONT=&quot]Hi,

I am a member of several National and local organizations who are considering support to the Wounded Warrior Project. I would like to know some information regarding the dispensation of gifts to the men and women in need as well as the overhead incurred by the WWP leadership and organization in general.

One other question I have regarding the fund raising techniques of some of the clubs I am involved in are raffles of various products and door prizes. Are there any issues with the WWP being negative with regard to the raffle prize of firearms. Some of the online forums I belong to are full of veterans like myself and other law-abiding citizens who happen to be firearm enthusiasts and are considering raffling off guns donated by local private individulals, gun shops and dealers.

Please reply to me with the knowledge that this letter and your reply will be made public on these various firearms forums who's memberships run into the tens of thousands across the USA.

Thanks very much,

(Signed by me).

[/FONT]Hello Rich,

We appreciate your concern regarding this matter. First, these questions arose as a result of a miscommunicated message when declining an opportunity for WWP to appear on Gun Talk Radio. This mistake has unfortunately led some people to question our support of the 2nd Amendment.

Please know WWP wholeheartedly supports the Constitution of the United States of America, which includes the Second Amendment. We recognize these are the freedoms our Alumni fought and sacrificed to protect!

WWP has a long history of facilitating therapeutic hunting and outdoor opportunities for Wounded Warriors as well as fundraising activities that involve firearms.

Thank you for your support of Wounded Warrior Project as we continue to honor and empower wounded warriors.

Sincerely,
MELISSA MCARTHUR

O: 904.405.1350
M: 904.625.6491
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

My thoughts:
Even though they support the 2nd Ammendment, they still spend too much of donated funds to run this organization. I know advertising isn't free and a salary of more than $300k for the person to run the show is probably in line with a "for profit business", I find it difficult to raise funds where more than 50% of it is not going to the people who deserve it.

Rich

I am a member of a riding group that recently raised about $6k for the WWP. This has been brought to the attention of the riding group's leaders and they are considering it carefully.....but may have to find another organization to raise funds to support veterans.

I am a member of a riding group that recently raised about $6k for the WWP. This has been brought to the attention of the riding group's leaders and they are considering it carefully.....but may have to find another organization to raise funds to support veterans.

http://rogue-corps.com

We appreciate your concern regarding this matter. First, these questions arose as a result of a miscommunicated message when declining an opportunity for WWP to appear on Gun Talk Radio. This mistake has unfortunately led some people to question our support of the 2nd Amendment.

Translation: "We accidentally made our true feelings known, so now we're ninja editing our website and firing up the spin engine to make it seem like it was just an innocent miscommunication. In reality we think guns are icky so we don't want to be associated with them."

Wow, this isn`t good. I was thinking of becoming a monthly contributor but not now. WTF is wrong w/these people? These are Veterans we`re trying to help, not wimpy liberals.

50% in administrative costs is excessive.

Easy way to fix the problem, donate other places, they'll either correct their stand, or go quietly into the night.

50% in administrative costs is excessive.

Easy way to fix the problem, donate other places, they'll either correct their stand, or go quietly into the night.

The DAV does better. Why do you need all these veteran's charities anyway? Go with the DAV.
How much of my donation goes to help disabled veterans?
In our last accounting year, 76.2% of all contributions were used for programs of service to disabled veterans and their families. While that figure already compares favorably with other national charities, we constantly strive to further increase efficiency and effectiveness in the use of the funds you entrust to the DAV.

Even that response posted on page 1 WWP is full of fail. They won't say that they support the second amendment, only that they support the constitution.

Please know WWP wholeheartedly supports the Constitution of the United States of America, which includes the Second Amendment.

Nobody was questioning their support of our 1st amendment rights.

Last edited:
"You wouldn't dare not donate!!" was the reaction? **** them. And their excessive overhead.

How can it be miscommunicated when it's documented in black and white?

The DAV does better. Why do you need all these veteran's charities anyway? Go with the DAV.

My husband belongs to a veterans organization and those clowns at WWP lost the check that they donated so I completely agree with this statement, but somehow the DAV has lost popularity and is almost completely forgotten.

Somebody should put the question to them directly: do you agree that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed?

It's extremely easy for any person or group to say that they, "Support the 2nd Amendment."

What does that actually mean, though? Most of the gun grabbers say it.

I remember my English classes in high school. The teachers would say things like, "Show, don't tell" when critiquing papers.

For any politician or organization, show me that you "support the 2nd Amendment", don't tell me.

I remember my English classes in high school. The teachers would say things like, "Show, don't tell" when critiquing papers.

For any politician or organization, show me that you "support the 2nd Amendment", don't tell me.

My english teacher said that as well, but he was giving us advice for dating and post date events.

My english teacher said that as well, but he was giving us advice for dating and post date events.

They're full of great advice. My 8th grade English teacher, a woman, said that papers should be like a woman's skirt: long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom