• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Toledo: Gun sales spike as cops get laid off

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=10415019

By Colleen Wells - bio | email

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - The first round of Toledo police layoffs, in which 75 officers were let go, may already be having an affect on gun ownership.

"I just don't feel safe with the amount they're laying off," says Jonna Ewing. "I think it's going to be a longer respond time."

She is spending the day at a conceal carry class. She's been thinking of getting a gun for awhile, but feels now's the time due to the recent layoffs.

She's not alone. Case in point, someone in Jonna's class wears one those infamous police t-shirts: "I called 911 and all I got was this lousy garbage can" that showed up soon after the TPD cuts.

Tom Urbanski runs Ski's Firearms Training & Consulting. He also teaches the conceal carry classes.

For him, the layoffs mean big business as people are taking safety into their own hands.

"People are panicking, they're figuring the only way they can protect themselves is for them to protect themselves," says Urbanski. "So yeah, my business is booming."

Urbanski says since the presidential election and the collapse of the economy, people have become more interested in owning guns.

He says locally the police layoffs and recent attacks on the elderly are only fueling the fire, especially for senior citizens.

"They don't have much support out there. Their family is not visiting as often so they're having to be their own protectors. I'm seeing an increase in the elderly."

For Toledoans like Jonna, having a gun and knowing how to use it means she'll sleep just a little better.

Copyright 2009 WTOL, a Raycom Media station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

I would like to think the important thing about this is the number of people who're waking up and realizing that they're the only ones who're responsible for their own protection. The good part is it swells our ranks. Instead of an insult, a pat on the back would be a bit more welcoming.

They might not read this site, but how many like them are in the northeast and reading this?

I would like to think the important thing about this is the number of people who're waking up and realizing that they're the only ones who're responsible for their own protection. The good part is it swells our ranks. Instead of an insult, a pat on the back would be a bit more welcoming.

They might not read this site, but how many like them are in the northeast and reading this?

True...very true. Aside from a lil bit of fun comments, they should truly be welcomed and congratulated for "waking up" [wink] It would truly be nice if the sheeple in this state would do a bit more waking up as well. [thinking]

+1

but a little ribbing doesn't hurt... they probably throught we were all "crazy" and "gun nuts" too. [laugh]

Toledo is one of the five crime-ridden, gun hostile cesspools in Ohio. Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati are the other.

Too bad the General Assembly told them to F.O. WRT their anti gun ordinances. [smile]

It went something like this: "MA State Police - The only protection you need"
Ardent anti-condom Catholic?[rofl]

I'm guessing it was less a political comment as one of "pride" by virtue of a close connection with the force...

But feel free to slap the driver - just get video so we can enjoy whatever happens.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom