toilet ring bullet lube

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Has anyone tried using a wax toilet ring to make black powder bullet lube? I believe it's paraffin and bees wax. The consistency is like SPG. At under 2 bucks, it will be a pretty inexpensive bullet lube if it works

This guy says it's good to go. I bought 6 of them a few weeks ago.

View: https://youtu.be/xufHIgMr8DU

No a huge fan of that guys reloading advice.

That being said there are a lot of threads about it on CastBoolits. Seems they used to be beeswax and now appear to be made of “slack wax” which is a petroleum base. Seems the MSDS shows they had proprietary blends. You might be better off with a known standard ingredient.

I believe there is a lube called Gatofeo or something similar that’s supposed to awesome. The key ingredient being mutton tallow.

The last shitter ring I bought about 5 years ago , smelt alot like rear differential fluid.
It was a sticky mess. Nothing like any of the bullet lube I have used?

Copied from CastBoolits

Someone was asking about a recipe for SPG which is the bees knees for BP

From Tom Herman

Hi DGV! The folks here turned me onto a dead ringer for SPG:

2 parts by weight Paraffin wax
2 parts by weight Sheep Tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
1 part by weight Beeswax

The stuff looks like SPG, and has the same consistency and feel.
I'm pretty frugal, and didn't like the idea of spending $30 a pound on SPG, either. Especially when I can make a dead ringer at about $5 a pound!
I bought a large pile of the sheep tallow from Dixie gun Works for about $3 a pound. It's very reasonable price. You can use beef tallow, but the sheep variety has lanolin in it.
The melting point of the lube is about 140 degrees fahrenheit. It works well in cold to warm climates, may be a bit low in melting point for desert work.
I use it with my cast bullets in midrange loads to about 850 FPS. Calibers used are .38 SPL, .44 SPL, .45 LC and .455 Webley.
All loadings (50/50 lead to WW with 2% tin for mold fillout) exhibit very good accuracy with little to no leading.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

I thought it would be a good material to make grease cookies out of but if it won't hold up, I'll just buy 1 pound blocks of black powder lube and melt them into a thin sheet.

Any lube worth using (except that for black powder) needs a lube heater; I’ll use the good stuff and scrimp elsewhere. I don’t want sticky-ass lube everywhere. I’ve come to take pride in my bullets.

That Fortunecookie guy is the King of Flinting.

I believe the consensus was that the wax from those rings is too thin and doesn't hold up well under heat.
Pretty sure the rings I bought a few years ago where IPC wax flange seals. MSDS says its
Slack wax
Slack wax is a mixture of oil and wax, obtained from lubricating oil. Slack wax is the crude wax produced by chilling and solvent filter-pressing wax distillate.

My father in law told me about helping a friend replace a toilet. Had probably been there for 30 years or more.

Probably thinking of when the rings were beeswax, as they were removing the old ring, or at least the part stuck to the flange in the floor, he looked at my father in law and said, "you know, you can eat this." My FiL answered, "Maybe you can."

Old post but yes you can use toilet rings, candle wax and two stroke oil to make a good but smokey lube.
Much easier to buy lube sticks bulk .

I still have several hundred 38spl that I will only shoot outside because they smoke too much inside.

Old post but yes you can use toilet rings, candle wax and two stroke oil to make a good but smokey lube.

I still have several hundred 38spl that I will only shoot outside because they smoke too much inside.
Im pretty good at skin flinting/Yankee Scrounge, cheap f*** ......
Home made bullet lube was not a place I felt the time or effort was worth it.
Never really comes out right for me and unless you find the ingredients for free....m not seeing a “real” savings.

And that is what I found - you can make passable lube at a low cost but it isn't worth the time to make your own high quality lube unless you get free beeswax and you have a specific need for something different.

What lube made the most smoke?

What lube made the most smoke?
Toilet ring wax,
Candle wax
Synthetic 2-stroke oil

Two wax rings melted, added approximately 15ml (tablespoon) 2-stroke oil, and added candle wax to harden.
Needed a little heat to flow well.
Feels "whetter" than commercial lubes due to the oil.
Cost ends up being $3-$4/lb without your time.
Not talking black powder levels of smoke but enough to be annoying indoor.
Produced good lube star on crown with both 38/357 and 9mm. Barrel was essentially one patch clean.

Was an experiment - buying white label lube in bulk is much easier and it's only $13/lb

Toilet ring wax,
Candle wax
Synthetic 2-stroke oil

Two wax rings melted, added approximately 15ml (tablespoon) 2-stroke oil, and added candle wax to harden.
Needed a little heat to flow well.
Feels "whetter" than commercial lubes due to the oil.
Cost ends up being $3-$4/lb without your time.
Not talking black powder levels of smoke but enough to be annoying indoor.
Produced good lube star on crown with both 38/357 and 9mm. Barrel was essentially one patch clean.

Was an experiment - buying white label lube in bulk is much easier and it's only $13/lb
I messed around with making Ben’s red one time.
I realized it wasn’t worth it unless you wanted to make a hobby out of lube making and wanted to stockpile it deep.

I would have to search my notes but I want to say that I was able to lube something g like 1500 of my single lube groove 454-200 HP bullets with a single solid stick of Carnauba Red.
I have a shit ton of that sitting around and a bunch of other sticks from buying up reloading estates. I think I’m good for the foreseeable future for some little costs it’s awesome.

I realized it wasn’t worth it unless you wanted to make a hobby out of lube making and wanted to stockpile it deep.

I would have to search my notes but I want to say that I was able to lube something g like 1500 of my single lube groove 454-200 HP bullets with a single solid stick of Carnauba Red.
I have a shit ton of that sitting around and a bunch of other sticks from buying up reloading estates. I think I’m good for the foreseeable future for some little costs it’s awesome.
I have a good amount of Lyman sticks but I just like the 2500+ lube the best. Been using it since day one along with lee tumble lube.

Not saying bens red is good or bad But I hate the smell and feel of it .
Trans fluid smells like shit to me and if you get it on you its “slimy” . I deal with that shit at work im not playing around making it at home.

Not saying bens red is good or bad But I hate the smell and feel of it .
Trans fluid smells like shit to me and if you get it on you its “slimy” . I deal with that shit at work im not playing around making it at home.
My thoughts exactly. I coat less and lube more now because I like the small of white label lubes. All the recipes that seem to work best have some nasty smelling stuff in them.

Back
Top Bottom