1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Today's racist item Megathread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, Jan 29, 2018.

1. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Just looked that up. No it's not... [puke]
    :emoji_poop:

2. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

That's much better with the sound off^

3. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Don't look TOO close at the irises!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Behance

My daughter had a Brazilian friend back in the high school years. Beautiful brown eyes but she was jelly for blue. I photoshopped her eyes blue and for a rank amateur I have to say the pic came out pretty good.

enbloc likes this.
  4. enbloc

Most of the photos of me have bloodshot eyes...

5. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

No, I meant loginname's avatar is a dirty sanchez. Forgive me enbloc, I made mudslides. I may not be communicating at my best.

Jason Flare and enbloc like this.
  6. enbloc

7. Zappa

So who got the idea from who ???

[​IMG]

8. enbloc

Wait. What? That's a Dirty Sanchez? Butt-waxing someone's upper lip beneath the nose? That's not what came up on Google...

The nose thing seems more like a "Dirty Senor Wences"

[​IMG]

"Sol Right...?"

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

Police test in Baltimore is racist because it tested reading grammar and logic which they say isn't related to the job. There's some jokes in there but I'll leave them be for now lol

U.S. Department of Justice sues Baltimore County over alleged racial discrimination in police department hiring

The U.S. Department of Justice sued the Baltimore County government Tuesday, alleging that a written test for police officer recruits was unfairly biased against African American applicants.

African American applicants failed the test at a greater rate than white applicants, resulting in fewer African Americans being hired as police officers, the Department of Justice wrote in the lawsuit. The suit, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Baltimore, did not include the pass rates, but said the difference was “statistically significant.”

The exams tested reading, grammar, logic and other skills that the suit alleges are not related to the job of being a police officer or police cadet.

Police officials declined to comment, referring inquiries to the county executive’s office. County Executive Johnny Olszewski Jr. issued a statement saying the police department has discontinued the test. He did not say when the test was discontinued.

“A law enforcement agency should look like the community it serves,” Olszewski, a Democrat, said in the statement. “As I have said repeatedly since taking office, I am committed to increasing diversity in the county’s Police Department.”

Baltimore County’s roughly 828,000 residents are 57% white, 30% black, 6% Asian and 6% Hispanic or Latino, according to U.S. Census Bureau projections. County officials did not respond to a request for the current racial makeup of the police department’s officers.

Olszewski noted that he’s created two positions in his administration focused on improving diversity. He said he’ll work with interested organizations, such as the Fraternal Order of Police and the Blue Guardians, which represents minority police officers.

Olszewski also said his new police chief, Melissa Hyatt, is working with him on “concrete steps forward” toward diversity.

Justice Department officials would not comment on the lawsuit and would not say when they started investigating the Baltimore County Police Department.

While the federal lawsuit alleged the test was discriminatory because it asked questions not related to the position of being a police officer, the suit did not include a copy of the test or examples of the questions.

The lawsuit said the test has taken different forms over the years. The most recent version, used from 2015 forward, had 100 questions. Only applicants who scored 70% or higher moved forward in the hiring process.

The first part of the exam tested observation skills by having the applicant review a photograph and answer 15 questions about it. The second part had 85 questions on reading comprehension, “logical ordering,” writing and grammar, and data interpretation.

The lawsuit alleges that the use of the test amounts to a “pattern or practice of discrimination” against the African American applicants. It asks the court to order that the county stop using the test, make “remedial relief” to those who suffered discrimination and adopt “appropriate nondiscriminatory measures” to correct the discrimination.

Anthony Russell, president of the Blue Guardians, said he’s long had concerns about the application process for police officers.

Over the years, Russell said he’s seen the number of African American applicants increase, but that hasn’t translated to more minority officers being hired.

Somewhere in the process, African American applicants were being eliminated, Russell said. He had not suspected the test, he said, but had previously asked Olszewski and Hyatt to order an independent review of the hiring process.

“Recruitment has done its job in getting people to apply,” said Russell, who is a sergeant in the department. “The number of minority applicants unfortunately did not result in hires.”

Russell said it’s important to have diversity among the sworn police officers.

“It makes the community feel more comfortable, that’s part one,” he said. “Part two, sometimes based on how you grew up, where you grew up, what your experiences are, you bring a different lens to the situation.”

Baltimore County Council members seemed surprised to learn about the lawsuit. At the end of their public work session Tuesday afternoon in Towson, several council members huddled behind closed doors in the council library.

Councilman Julian Jones, a Woodstock Democrat who is the only African American on the council, said he was “taken aback” by the allegations in the lawsuit.

“I’m confident that the current administration is going to do any and everything necessary to make sure we’re not discriminating against people,” Jones said.

Councilwoman Cathy Bevins said she hadn’t yet reviewed the lawsuit, but had concerns.

“It would be disappointing to know because we’re talking about trying to have more diversity in all of public safety, the fire department and police department," said Bevins, a Middle River Democrat.

Councilman Wade Kach, a Cockeysville Republican, said he was “rather shocked” and wanted to investigate the allegations further.

“It’s important that everyone have equal access in taking a look at all of the measurements we use to determine whether to hire someone,” Kach said.

10. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

Seriously. Right, because officers aren't supposed to be able to read a law summary, work out how it applies to different situations, which elements of the crime were present, and write an incident or arrest report that says what happened and what facts support the outcome.

11. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

Or apply logic...

12. babygorilla

babygorilla NES Member

Doesn't affirmative action get them 10 points on the test anyway? How bad WAS their score before that?

BUMPA01603 likes this.
  13. ipscdrl

ipscdrl

Do you want people of at least reasonable intelligence or to be able to say "I hired some people because of the color of their skin"?

The answer seems obvious.

14. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

not hard. it's called a catch light and happens pretty much any time you use a flash/speed light. Definitely intentional as it gives the eyes depth and an "alive" feeling. It IS hard to do properly when photographing people with glasses as you either get no catchlight or there is far too much reflection off the glasses.

Christian and mibro like this.
  15. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

Heh, yeah, thought the long discourse there did that without having to just say "apply logic" like "use grammar and logic" which was the criticism of the test. Thought it was not much of an argument in support to just repeat the words used to critique the test.

16. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

17. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    OK....wearing a Hawai'ian shirt is cultural appropriation?

Therefore, in you're a native Hawai'ian, then you should not dress mainland style, like a Haole. You're restricted to tapa cloth, and leis. And, NOT the potato chips. Poi only.

As for Spongebob being violent, yeah. But ask any of Bugs Bunny's opponents how their life went. [laugh]

Jason Flare likes this.
  18. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Poi belongs in the poilet..Old Billy Crystal joke.

19. Pete85

Pete85

When I went to HI on a business trip a few years back, we were actually encouraged to wear Hawaiian shirts. Polo shirts were acceptable as well, but dressing up in a button down shirt and tie was all but forbidden. Wearing a suit was just shy of being an arrestable offense. I did get called a Haole a few times, but it never seemed like it was meant to be offensive.

20. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Now, it's a TRIGGER! You can sue, I thin. [laugh]

21. bfm

bfm NES Member

22. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:07 AM
  23. Zappa

24. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member