3   0   0
Last edited:

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Libraries.

Whiteness as Collections

Let me now try to connect all these dots in a coherent way. As others have written (Fobazi Ettarh, Todd Honma, Gina Schlessman-Tarango, etc.), libraries and librarians have a long history of keeping People of Color out. They continue to do so, which you can read more about here and from the others I mentioned above. Legal and societal standards revolve around whiteness and libraries are no different.

If you look at any United States library’s collection, especially those in higher education institutions, most of the collections (books, journals, archival papers, other media, etc.) are written by white dudes writing about white ideas, white things, or ideas, people, and things they stole from POC and then claimed as white property with all of the “rights to use and enjoyment of” that Harris describes in her article. When most of our collections filled with this so-called “knowledge,” it continues to validate only white voices and perspectives and erases the voices of people of color. Collections are representations of what librarians (or faculty) deem to be authoritative knowledge and as we know, this field and educational institutions, historically, and currently, have been sites of whiteness.

Library collections continue to promote and proliferate whiteness with their very existence and the fact that they are physically taking up space in our libraries.

Fritz the Cat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to my local library which is a member of CWMARS looking for a copy of Kenn Blanchard's book, Black Man With a Gun. There wasn't a single copy of ANY of his books in the whole system.
The CWMARS system has never failed to find me a title and I read some pretty obscure stuff.
716suDTfHxL.jpg

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Since over time, everybody has been discriminated against by someone, I propose that EVERYBODY, across the board tithes 50% of their gross income to a reparations fund. They then will receive FROM the fund, a reparation check for the amount they paid in. Less a fee of course to pay for the staffing, the equipment, the paper products and the stamps.

strangenh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
New residents gentrifying the area around Howard University are using the campus as a dog poop park, is what he said. I'd say he has a legit grievance, though it doesn't have to be about race - privileged a**holes will be privileged a**holes, regardless of race. The dude "interpreting" the Howard U. statement is the one racing it up for yucks, because, "obviously" the Howard U. pres "really" meant race stuff.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Anybody selling this anti-white bullshit is a racist piece of shit who can F off and die. White people aren't looking to start shit with you, but if you want to go out of your way to start shit with someone because of the color of their skin you don't deserve an ounce of anyone's respect. Each and every one of them need to be called out and publicly shamed for their prejudice and their efforts to promote discrimination and segregation.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The "Eyes" have it!

Funny thing is, most of them probably aren't muslim, just eye models asked to wear hijabs.

I guess this makes me Racist and Sexist...

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The "Eyes" have it!

Funny thing is, most of them probably aren't muslim, just eye models asked to wear hijabs.

I guess this makes me Racist and Sexist...
You do see blue eyes in unexpected places. North African Islamic slavers took millions of captives all around the European coasts in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

Look closely at those irises though and you'll see some of the interesting radial detail is from reflections of the lighting setup, intentional of course, Probably quite hard to do.

Top Bottom