Today's racist item Megathread

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If we made all statues in thorium (the color is black), that would also be racist.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tool bags he is teaching probably gave him this idea. They've been "painting" statues for quite some time.
ROMA-C24.JPG
Professor should start dressing up these naked statues, adding some implants here and there, perhaps, Grammy like fashion sense.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
There are days I wonder if the Internet is a good thing or not. This is one of those days. Because 30 years ago, these people yapped to 3-4 people at the university they attended/taught and realized with 3-4 eyerolls that maybe they are out there. At worst, they got a modicum of validation, or at least no negative validation, and lived their miserable negative lives in a bubble somewhere in the Berkshires or somewhere.

Now they get press and contacts via the inter webs. It validates their ideas and makes them think they are smart. I'm betting with Forcebork and InterGram and the like, the # of Americans that believe they are of above-average intelligence is up significantly. :(

MachineHead

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Tommy Sotomayor did a recent video about this. His version of this news is always hilarious.

NSFW

BTW, I’m waiting for the massive lawsuit from smokers who are insulted that tobacco products are locked up or behind a counter [lol]
View: https://youtu.be/WGYcEGIanzI
You don't wanna get between a BT1000 and her hair hat glue!!

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Any RPI grads here? That's right, raise your hands, racists. This letter was written by a professor in regards to a slump in alumni donations. I had a lot of trouble following his rant/fundraising request, but rest assured you're a racist, sexist, heightist.

From: Bystroff, Chris Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 Subject: A letter in response to the front-page TU article of Jan 2, by Bethany Bump

OK, I'll say it.

Shame on you.

I am talking to the alumni who have withdrawn their support for RPI over the last 18 years since Prof. Shirley Jackson has taken the helm.

Do you abandon your family when they disappoint you?

This whole thing stinks. I could shut up and look for work elsewhere, but I choose to speak out here instead. After all, my lab just got a grant! I am feeling good about this place! It pains me to read in the Times Union what I never saw in the Poly. Are we really in a death spiral as the article suggests?

The situation needs to be analyzed from all sides. Has this happened elsewhere? Are we the only major university to see a 50% drop in alumni participation? In fact, a widespread trend towards "a disproportionate reliance on a handful of wealthy donors" (Mega-gifts Are Rising and Alumni Giving Is Shrinking. Which Means What, Exactly?) has been visible for years.

And what about this blame-game. Dr. Jackson is being called an "autocrat." Really?

Did you notice that the downturn in alumni donations began immediately after Dr. Jackson's installation? Not a sign of a well-reasoned response. Did she become an autocrat on day one? How long does it take to establish a reputation as an non-transparent autocrat?

What she did become on day one was the first woman of color who was elevated to the presidency of a major university. I can't help thinking that if she were white, male (and maybe a bit taller!), she would not be so quickly dismissed as an autocrat. After all, are we to believe that 200 years of institutionalized racism and sexism were suddenly erased when Shirley Jackson was installed? If so, then RPI would be truly an exceptional place. Could it be that the residual racism and sexism (no to mention heightism) that sits in the backs of the minds of the white male majority of our alumni makes it just a bit easier to see Dr Jackson as outside of her league, ... out of her place? Are we to fantasize that Martin Luther King successfully erased all traces of racism and there is nothing left to fight? Could it be that the microaggressions that happen when we fail to stop them aren't still happening between some of our alumni and the figurehead of our school? And aren't those microaggress ions made "macro" by the quantity of their donations? I'm talking about the Patroon level folks.

Is there a faculty/administration rift and who is responsible for that? We faculty need to fix it, because alumni are citing it as the reason for not donating. As Chair of the Faculty Senate a few years ago, I thought up a solution. I suggested we apologize! A good apology goes a long way towards healing divisions, I said. We all must own up to our part in the rift. After all, the Faculty Senate some years before had put out a skewed questionnaire and a vote of no confidence in the President (which failed). That was terrible and needlessly aggressive act, in my opinion, and we would have been doing the adult thing by writing a formal letter of apology. Guess what. I was shouted down! There was bile in the room. I had been Chair for just a few hours and was suddenly exposed to a level of group think I naively thought impossible on a college campus. Yes, wounds need time to heal (I am talking about the dissolution of the Faculty Senate shortly after the failure of the vote of no confidence), but for how long?

Folks, the whole planet is falling into tough times. Who are we to think we can wall off the sea? Just like bridges, institutions survive in a time of crisis to the extent that they hold together under stress.

Christopher Bystroff, PhD. Professor of Biological Sciences and Computer Science Director of the Bioinformatics Program. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. 110 8th St., Troy, NY 12180. web: www.bioinfo.rpi.edu/bystrc, email:[email protected], phone: (518) 276-3185
I thought to myself: "Self, what does Mr Bystroff look like? Does he look like as much of a douche as he sounds?"

upload_2018-1-30_17-20-23.jpeg

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I swear this is a true story. My daughter went to U Miami and grew up here in Mass. The first time she went out for ice cream she asked the big black kid working the counter for "Jimmies" on her ice cream. Kid looks at her and says "Scuze Me?" "What did you say". Her sorority sister grabbed her and explained. It used to be on the sign at Friendlys when she was a kid. Now they are called sprinkles.
Then one day they were talking about ordering take out and she said that they should order " Chink" food. When everyone's jaw dropped open she said "What? Don't youz guyz like chink food?"

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I swear this is a true story. My daughter went to U Miami and grew up here in Mass. The first time she went out for ice cream she asked the big black kid working the counter for "Jimmies" on her ice cream. Kid looks at her and says "Scuze Me?" "What did you say". Her sorority sister grabbed her and explained. It used to be on the sign at Friendlys when she was a kid. Now they are called sprinkles.
Then one day they were talking about ordering take out and she said that they should order " Chink" food. When everyone's jaw dropped open she said "What? Don't youz guyz like chink food?"
Yeah I had this argument with my wife(she went to school in PA). For some reason they think it's racist out of NE. However, it's supposed to be named after the guy who created them, named Jimmy.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah I had this argument with my wife(she went to school in PA). For some reason they think it's racist out of NE. However, it's supposed to be named after the guy who created them, named Jimmy.
In the South they would call a slave a Jimmy. NSFW - skip to about 55 seconds

Last edited:

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wait, "jimmies" isn't the right word? Where I grew up "sprinkles" were the rainbow ones and "jimmies" were the chocolate. I still call them that. I hope I don't get killed over it. Am I old?
Agreed, and I'm not changing.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Wait, "jimmies" isn't the right word? Where I grew up "sprinkles" were the rainbow ones and "jimmies" were the chocolate. I still call them that. I hope I don't get killed over it. Am I old?
Amen, Brother.

And, they're Frappes, not Milkshakes.

And there is no tomato in clam chowder.

The line must be drawn somewhere.

Top Bottom