Today's "pulled over while carrying" story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamina

Banned
So, I was pulled over yesterday while driving to riley's. on the road with the school and church after coming over the bridge, I passed a Hooksett cruiser doing 45ish. I saw him turn around, but traffic kept him from catching up to me until I was ready to turn into riley's.

Cop(s) pull in behind me, blocking me in. Driver walks up to my window, taking a protective stance. I already had my registration out, wallet was in my back pocket. Officer tells me right away that they clocked me doing 45 in a 35. I told him I just put larger tires on the jeep, and that I knew I needed to recalibrate the speedo (true)...

he asks for license and reg, I hand him the reg but tell him "I feel inclined to tell you I do have a pistol on my hip. I'm properly permitted, and my license and PP are in my rear pocket." Officer says okay, asks me to clarify where the pistol is, I tell him my right hip and I'll have to move past it to get my wallet, the cop says okay, I get out my wallet and hand him my license and PP, he goes back to the cruiser.

5 minutes later he comes back, says "I'm going to cut you a break today". Hands me back my paperwork, and tells me to have a nice day.

overall, very friendly, courteous, and no perceived negative reactions to an armed citizen. Kudos to the hooksett PD.

huh, congrats.

(on getting out of a ticket and on the new tires, speedo gears are pricey)

So you gave the officer information he didn't request? Did you tell him this because you were worried he'd see your gun and think you were going for it, or did you just think it necessary to inform as part of the process of being pulled over? Why didn't you just have your drivers license ready to go and not bother with the declaration of gun?

Last edited:
So you gave the officer information he didn't request? Did you tell him this because you were worried he'd see your gun and think you were going for it, or did you just think it necessary to inform as part of the process of being pulled over? Why didn't you just have your drivers license ready to go and not bother with the declaration of gun?

So, I was pulled over yesterday while driving to riley's. on the road with the school and church after coming over the bridge, I passed a Hooksett cruiser doing 45ish. I saw him turn around, but traffic kept him from catching up to me until I was ready to turn into riley's.

Cop(s) pull in behind me, blocking me in. Driver walks up to my window, taking a protective stance. I already had my registration out, wallet was in my back pocket. Officer tells me right away that they clocked me doing 45 in a 35. I told him I just put larger tires on the jeep, and that I knew I needed to recalibrate the speedo (true)...

he asks for license and reg, I hand him the reg but tell him "I feel inclined to tell you I do have a pistol on my hip. I'm properly permitted, and my license and PP are in my rear pocket." Officer says okay, asks me to clarify where the pistol is, I tell him my right hip and I'll have to move past it to get my wallet, the cop says okay, I get out my wallet and hand him my license and PP, he goes back to the cruiser.

5 minutes later he comes back, says "I'm going to cut you a break today". Hands me back my paperwork, and tells me to have a nice day.

overall, very friendly, courteous, and no perceived negative reactions to an armed citizen. Kudos to the hooksett PD.

Just a guess. Maybe he didn't want to surprise the officer, I tend to just stay still when being pulled over... movement during tends to freak em out. He must have done something right, the guy let him off.

Last edited:
It's a free country. If animal wanted to volunteer info, it's his choice. The cops didn't over-react.

A good story with a happy ending.

Good call, you can't go wrong letting the officer know that you're legally packing. Prolly got you out of the ticket. It's okay in my book to volunteer that info to law enforcment when you are in their world (i.e. when you're pulled over)

I know it is getting a little old, but the question MUST be asked in accordance with the rules set forth in the "It Never Fails" thread.

Was your vehicle a Ferrari?

when this happens to me i have my LTC out with my license. every time ive been stopped and told the cop that i was caring i was let off with a verbal warning.

there was a time my wallet was under the seat of my jeep and i had my peace in the glove box.. the officer come up to me and i told him my walet was under my seat and he wouldnt let me get. he told me to stand near the back and he went down and looked. coming up 3 times to tell me that he couldnt find it. and 3 times i insisted it was there. he finily found it and hands it to me. i pull out my license and LTC and then told him before i get my reg i want you to know that i have my 45 in the glove box. he said ok, didnt want me to get the reg and he went back to his car to check my paper work.
he comes back to me and tells me to have a nice day.
he did ask me why i was caring and i told him, because i can. and it was left at that.
mind you this was 1 am i was on my why home from a night job.

for this reason i always tell them i have it with me.

Prolly got you out of the ticket. It's okay in my book to volunteer that info to law enforcment when you are in their world (i.e. when you're pulled over)

Interesting thought TheWookie.

I was recently pulled over and didn't feel it was necessary to inform the Statie I was armed. If I had told him, would he have let me off . . . doubtful considering it was in the tunnels . . . idk? I ended up with a citation and a magistrate hearing. Hopefully I won't have to test this idea again.

I love these stories.

Hooksett cops are almost as good as Goffstown cops in finding a reason to pull you over. Especially when you're doing 51 in a 25. In your girlfriend's mom's car.

there was a time my wallet was under the seat of my jeep and i had my peace [sic] in the glove box.. the officer come up to me and i told him my walet [sic] was under my seat and he wouldnt let me get. he told me to stand near the back and he went down and looked. coming up 3 times to tell me that he couldnt find it. and 3 times i insisted it was there. he finily [sic] found it and hands it to me. i pull out my license and LTC and then told him before i get my reg i want you to know that i have my 45 in the glove box. he said ok, didnt want me to get the reg and he went back to his car to check my paper work.

for this reason i always tell them i have it with me.

Then again, if both your wallet and your gun were each properly secured, you might not have that problem.

Then again, if both your wallet and your gun were each properly secured, you might not have that problem.

That's what I was thinking.

I just don't get this whole feeling the need to inform. I also don't get how an officer that pulls you over won't be used to seeing the lean for the wallet - my guess is he/she has seen this scores of times. I suppose if you're flailing around in your car it may rouse suspicion. I have been pulled over many times in 28-years of driving. The procedure never changes really. When the officer pulls me over I simply:

1. Remove wallet from pocket.
  2. Remove registration from glove box.
  3. Remove drivers license from wallet.
  4. Have both ready.
  5. Hand to officer when requested.
  6. Have a nice life.

Animal may well indeed have done a "good thing" by informing the officer he had a gun on his hip. However, Animal would not have had to add this step whatsoever, had he simply followed a basic procedure by having his license and registration ready for the officer in the first place. I just scratch my head that no one seems to get that....What is so hard about seeing the lights, getting your wallet out, retrieving your registration and handing to the officer when requested? Why the extra steps? Makes absolutely zero sense...Zero. [thinking]

My personal philosophy is never volunteer information, unless I'm asked to get out of the vehicle. Then it becomes an entirely different encounter, and I'll do the "Officer, I'm licensed to carry blah, blah, blah." I'm a firm believer, though, in "alls well that ends well." If it worked, it's hard to criticize.

I did have an interesting encounter recently, though. I was on my way to MHT, moving along to make a flight, and right where you pass the Bank of America on the right side (or, as I think of it, the Home Stretch,) I see a cop sitting on the side road. He pulls out immediately as I pass, and on come the lights. I brake slowly, pull off onto that little side street to get out of traffic, engine off, window down, wallet in left hand, hands at 10 and 2, and wait. (FWIW, I'm wearing an open-collared shirt, blue blazer, and khaki pants.)

Officer: "Where are you going in such a hurry?"
Me: "Sorry, sir. I was running a little late for my flight."
Officer (starts to say something, stops, and looks at me again): "Are you carrying a gun?"
Me (startled): "No, sir."
Officer: "Then what's with the hands on the steering wheel, billfold out?"
Me (shrug): "I thought that was the proper way to do it, and put everyone at ease."
Officer: "OK, let me see your license."
Me: "Sir, would you like my registration? It's in the glove compartment."
Officer: "Nah. If this wasn't yours, you'd be speeding away, not stopping. This is just an easy stop. Day shift stuff (I almost laughed at that.)"

Goes back, runs my license, comes back 5 min later.
Officer: "OK, thanks. You can go."
Me: "Thanks, sir. I'll try to keep the speed down."
Officer: "Huh? Oh, yeah, that too." (I did laugh at this, all the way to the airport.)

Interesting to me in a lot of ways.

i cant speak for anyone else, but in all of my cases of being pulled over, the only time i have gotten a ticket is when im not caring.
it goes the same way when i let him see my military ID. they dont ask for it but when they see it they tend to let me off.

why is it so wrong to let them know your caring. Ive been in boston PD with my gun on my hip. you have to walk through a metal detector on the way in. i told them i had it. they checked my paper work and let me in. they didnt even check it at the door. i did what i had to do and i left. what do you think would have happen if i just walked into to lobby and had the metal detector go off....no one says what you have to tell them when youre caring. but i do and it works in my favor every time.

Last edited:
theres nothing saying that i cant have my peace [sic] in the glove whale[sic] driving.

Depends on what state you are in. If Mass., there most definitely IS.

Wherever you are, it is a poor location for a firearm. It is not convenient to the driver, is where the registration is generally kept and is far closer to a front-seat passenger than the driver.

Three strikes; you're out.

Limited Time Offer...

I think it's time. This state is ripe for some good marketing. I think I'll offer it as a package deal:

• Never Get A Ticket Again! New From MassMark Marketing!
  • One Blaze Orange CCW Sash With Embossed CCW Emblem
  • One Wallet With Gold Concealed Weapons CCW Badge
  • One Magnetic CCW Rooftop Flag With Prominent "I Have A Gun" Logo
  • One "Gun On Board" CCW Window Bobble
  • All For 4 Easy payments Of $19.99
  • But Act Now And We'll Deduct One Monthly Payment!
  • Operators Standing By - Call 1-800-BEA-SHEEP

I think the numerous tickets people will avoid by informing the officer you're carrying will make the cost of this package moot...Group buy? [cheers]

That's what I was thinking.

I just don't get this whole feeling the need to inform. I also don't get how an officer that pulls you over won't be used to seeing the lean for the wallet - my guess is he/she has seen this scores of times. I suppose if you're flailing around in your car it may rouse suspicion. I have been pulled over many times in 28-years of driving. The procedure never changes really. When the officer pulls me over I simply:

1. Remove wallet from pocket.
  2. Remove registration from glove box.
  3. Remove drivers license from wallet.
  4. Have both ready.
  5. Hand to officer when requested.
  6. Have a nice life.

Animal may well indeed have done a "good thing" by informing the officer he had a gun on his hip. However, Animal would not have had to add this step whatsoever, had he simply followed a basic procedure by having his license and registration ready for the officer in the first place. I just scratch my head that no one seems to get that....What is so hard about seeing the lights, getting your wallet out, retrieving your registration and handing to the officer when requested? Why the extra steps? Makes absolutely zero sense...Zero. [thinking]

I respectfully disagree with your procedure[grin]. I know many LEOs, and have dealt with many LEOs, and am going to school to be an LEO (hopefully). One thing I can tell you that LEOs do not like is when people have everything ready for them when they come up to the window. They would much rather wait until they are standing at the window watching you do everything. There is a lot less room for someone to do something stupid when this happens. You would be amazed at how some people stash stuff, and the little amount of movement it takes to stash stuff. They would prefer complete stillness to take this variable out. Now with him telling the LEO that he had a firearm on him, its possible that while reaching back to get his license his pistol would have printed or shown in some other way, as I read it there were also multiple LEOs, maybe one was at the other window. That is not a surprise you want to put on them, unless you want to be staring down the barrel of theirs. Best case is to just tell them if your unsure at all. You have to remember a bad guy is not going to tell them that they are armed, so if you tell them that you are legally armed, they can pretty much take that out of the equation.
1. Blinker on, pull over in the safest spot for the LEO.
2. Hands on the wheel, Not moving a muscle.
3. When he approaches the window, yes and no sir's, and then retrieve wallet and regi.
4. PRAY TO GOD HE DOESNT WRITE ME UP. (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom