• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Today's Globe...

Palladin

NES Member
Fear of new ban on some weapons spurs stockpiling
Associated press / March 30, 2009
CHEYENNE, Wyo. - Concern that the Obama administration could impose a new ban on some semiautomatic weapons is driving worried gun owners to stockpile ammunition and cartridge-reloading components so quickly that manufacturers can't meet demand.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...of_new_ban_on_some_weapons_spurs_stockpiling/

Discuss
COMMENTS (0)
Attorney General Eric Holder last month suggested that the administration favors reinstituting a US ban on the sale of assault weapons.

President Clinton first signed such a ban into law in 1994, generally blocking some military-style guns with magazines that hold many cartridges. President George W. Bush had allowed the ban to expire.

"We have heard from all across the country that there is a tremendous shortage of ammunition," said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation in Newtown, Conn.

"We've heard this from the manufacturers, that their customers are calling them trying to get supplies for inventory and that the manufacturers are going full-bore, pardon the pun," said Keane, whose foundation is a trade organization representing firearms and ammunition manufacturers as well as retail gun shops.

He said semiautomatic rifles are selling at a very brisk pace, and that many manufacturers of semiautomatic rifles and pistols are already so back-ordered that this year's entire production is already spoken for.

The current ammunition shortage followed the increase in gun sales, he said.

While the current shortage includes cartridges for popular semiautomatic rifles and pistols that were covered by the Clinton-era weapons ban, it also extends to varieties including common revolver cartridges and .22 rimfire cartridges used for hunting or target shooting.

In Wyoming, the run on bullets and reloading components reached such a frenzy that Cheyenne retailer Frontier Arms recently began rationing sales, said Becky Holtz, co-owner of the shop.

The FBI performed more than 4.2 million firearms background checks from November 2008 through this January, according to agency figures.

That's an increase of more than 31 percent above the 3.2 million checks the agency performed from November 2007 through January 2008.

© Copyright 2009 Globe Newspaper Company.

Im so glad the Boston Globe and their team of super expert investigators can tell us the blatantly obvious. This article will do nothing but get the sheeple to say, "oh no! there are so many more guns on the street!!" Look, sheeple, my guns are only on the street when I am transporting them to the range or carrying one for personal protection.

I hate the Globe.

I wish these journalists would get it right and stop saying this is driven by a fear of a new AWB. While that's true in part, I think it has more to do with a growing distrust of the .gov and it's increasing war on the Constitution.

I got a chuckle out of this comment:

The "assault weapons" that the media and government refer to are hardly that. Automatic weapons that fire "600 rounds a minute" are not normally available too civilians. The AR-15 rifles fire one shot per trigger pull. They physically resemble combat rifles and accept accessories such as lights and sights that enhance handling and accuracy.

These rifles are great for recreation and defense. 50 men with these rifles would be no match for someone with a real assault rifle - a machine gun - that is generally only available to military and law enforcement agencies.

The 50 very slow men must have stood shoulder-to-shoulder against the machinegunner with a 500-rd magazine.[hmmm]

Bleeding to death.....

This is one of the many reasons newspapers are quickly going out of business. Pile on the liberal BS to people who can barely read or afford a paper and you wind up with a whole lot of nothing. The Globe has been bleeding to death for years, if not decades. Good riddance - the sooner the better.

Im so glad the Boston Globe and their team of super expert investigators can tell us the blatantly obvious. This article will do nothing but get the sheeple to say, "oh no! there are so many more guns on the street!!" Look, sheeple, my guns are only on the street when I am transporting them to the range or carrying one for personal protection.

I hate the Globe.

Last edited:
They're just reporting this story now?
Think this story is a bit old already?
The freakin' Picayunne Gazette covered this months ago.
I see those crack (smoking) reporters at the Globe are right on the ball as usual............NOT [frown]

I wish these journalists would get it right and stop saying this is driven by a fear of a new AWB. While that's true in part, I think it has more to do with a growing distrust of the .gov and it's increasing war on the Constitution.

I think it is more a fear of a new AWB and fear of the economy going further in the toilet and resulting urban unrest.

Last edited:
These rifles are great for recreation and defense. 50 men with these rifles would be no match for someone with a real assault rifle - a machine gun - that is generally only available to military and law enforcement agencies

[rofl][rofl][rofl]
My own experience suggest going into battle with 50 men with semi AR's against one man with a machine gun or "real assault weapon" is a better strategic option for the right to life.

Why the hell do people that have no idea what they are talking about write this drivel. Too many friggin Rambo movies?

Definitely Obama. People not only see this ban coming, but the demand is compounded by the increasing distrust of the goverment, further by the economic situation sitting on the brink of disaster.

This is one of the many reasons newspapers are quickly going out of business. Pile on the liberal BS to people who can barely read or afford a paper and you wind up with a whole lot of nothing. The Globe has been bleeding to death for years, if no decades. Good riddance - the sooner the better.

I heard on the radio today the Globe is losing $1MILLION / week!!!

The Globe is just awful, but not exceptionally so. The biggest problem with journalists is that most of them understand nothing but journalism, and more than a few don't even understand that. So, most news stories are just regurgitated versions of press releases, media-fed quotes, and prior reporting combined with the journalist's political agenda.

When I read an article about something that I really understand I almost always find significant errors in the reporting. On this forum we see examples posted of stupid gun-related reporting on a regular basis. In economics and business reporting I see mistakes daily. I catch them when the reporting regards a matter where I have some experience. When I read an article on a topic with which I am less familiar I just assume that key details are wrong. I really don't think any of this is new. Rather, all that kept newspapers and network news alive in the past was the absence of easily accessed alternatives. Now that the internet and cable TV are offering these alternatives, newspapers and network news are getting the attention and respect that they have long deserved.

These crack reporters are so good, they don't need to get up from there desks or pick up a telephone to verify information or get the rest of the story. The best thing, both of our fishwrappers have these crack reporters. [puke2]

I know I am stockpiling...I really don't think they could get the ban going again but I would hate to have to wait 40 years for it to expire again without my "evil black rifle"

Back
Top Bottom