• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Today was a great day!

A bit of history before the actual reason why today was a great day.

Back in 2012 or early 2013, I was just getting back into firearms and shooting. In my enthusiasm to share my new found and very enjoyable hobby, I asked my daughter (appoximately 13 yo) to go with to Manchester Firing Line with me, and off we went. I think at the time, the only thing I owned was a 10/22, so we also rented a 9mm pistol (forget which brand). Unfortunately, the 9mm was a horrible introduction for her due to age / size / whatever, and she was so overwhelmed and freaked out she literally cried at the range. She's been very closed to the option of shooting ever since, disliked the idea of my having and carrying a firearm, blah, blah, liberal schooling kicking, etc, etc.

Fast Forward to middle of last week...... *WHEEEEEEEEE* She messages me from school and tells me that she wants to try shooting again, and her cousin and grandmother want to go as well. *DOUBLE TAKE* My Anti-Gun Daughter wants to give it another shot?! I'm in!

Today was the great day. We did a brief (20 minutes) briefing to cover the safety rules, basic mechanics of shooting, positioning, and handling. Had them using dummy rounds to load, chamber, clear firearms. Answered any questions they had. I think this was a good part of the process because everyone got to handle a firearm in a safe environment without the risk of putting a round into the wall.

We started off with the M&P 22 (pistol) to get them eased into and it worked splendidly. All three people were consistently on paper with a good beginners stance and were following all the safety rules.

We then moved onto a M&P 9 Full Size. Everyone shot it, again mostly on paper, and was safe the entire time. Daughter didn't really enjoy the recoil, everyone else was okay with it.

I gave them the option of shooting my Ruger SR1911, which all of them did at one point. Daughter did it, a couple of times, but didn't enjoy it at all. Actually, none of them seemed to enjoy the 45, but that's understandable.

I had a M&P 15-22 in the car as well, so we pulled that out and did a basic function walkthrough on the rifle and then I let them plink away for as much 22 as we had left, which wasn't much at this point.

It took a lot of courage and fortitude for her to go from hating guns to actually enjoying shooting, at least the 22 stuff :D Couldn't be a prouder dad and I am extremely grateful I got to fix my original screwup and re-introduce her to shooting.

We did talk briefly about her getting an FID, but is leaving to go back to school and already has commitments on the night of the LTC class I could have gotten her into, but we'll figure it out when she's back from school.

Last edited:
ab7aaa54fdc0fe08f418c586589da658.jpg

All smiles before shooting!

3e58c2507f2e2895eaa39a9f23371da2.jpg

9mm First Shot Reaction

6ace3f212f1c73805a88b80e8777513e.jpg

Getting all posey with the 15-22

Good to see. [thumbsup]

A lot of women just dont like any recoil, even a 9mm. To someone who's never shot before, or has shot only .22, 9mm can seem like a lot. Like anything else, its something that you would get used to with experience. Its hard to walk that fine line between encouraging them to put in the time to gain the experience and being pushy and turning them off.

eta- Do you reload? Maybe make her up some powder-puff 147 grain loads and let her work her way up.

Good to see. [thumbsup]

A lot of women just dont like any recoil, even a 9mm. To someone who's never shot before, or has shot only .22, 9mm can seem like a lot. Like anything else, its something that you would get used to with experience. Its hard to walk that fine line between encouraging them to put in the time to gain the experience and being pushy and turning them off.

eta- Do you reload? Maybe make her up some powder-puff 147 grain loads and let her work her way up.

I have everything to reload, just haven't setup everything to be able to do it again. I do have a buddy I trust who might be able to do something for me.

Thanks for the great idea.

Fantastic! No surprise the 45 was not winning their hearts and minds- maybe borrow a Ruger Mark II or III next time? Tack-drivers & super easy and fun pistols. Beautiful kid- takes after her mother? JK... Watch for a GOAL Women on Target event- the ladies have a blast & the class qualifies for their LTC.

Nice reminder for me not to take for granted that my boys like going to the range.

If she really gets into it later, you can build her an AR like my wife's last B-day present:

Anderson AM-15.jpg

Mostly Anderson Mfg., some parts from NES GB's. 'Muddy Girl' Gunskins. Smooth shooting mid-length, limbsaver butt pad, & some other features to make it low recoil. My wife absolutely loves shooting it.

I have everything to reload, just haven't setup everything to be able to do it again. I do have a buddy I trust who might be able to do something for me.

Thanks for the great idea.

No problem. I remember my starting loads the first time I loaded up 147gr 9mm. I kept stopping to check the barrel to make sure it wasnt a squib. It felt and sounded like a pop-gun.

You know what's also a great tool? YouTube. I forget who makes the video where it explains exactly how a semi automatic works.

My gf really enjoyed it after she realized why some guns have kick and why that kick needs to happen for the next round to chamber.

Great work, noxin. This is one of the best lessons you can teach your children. Better yet when they don't mind learning.

My wife prefers my .40 over 9mm hates my sr22 said its boring. You definitely dont look old enough to be her dad btw. Lol
Good job btw between safety and making it enjoyabpe

A bit of history before the actual reason why today was a great day.

Back in 2012 or early 2013, I was just getting back into firearms and shooting. In my enthusiasm to share my new found and very enjoyable hobby, I asked my daughter (appoximately 13 yo) to go with to Manchester Firing Line with me, and off we went. I think at the time, the only think I owned was a 10/22, so we also rented a 9mm pistol (forget which brand). Unfortunately, the 9mm was a horrible introduction for her due to age / size / whatever, and she literally was so overwhelmed and freaked out she literally cried at the range. She's been very closed to the option of shooting ever since, disliked the idea of my having and carrying a firearm, blah, blah, liberal schooling kicking, etc, etc.

Fast Forward to middle of last week...... *WHEEEEEEEEE* She messages me from school and tells me that she wants to try shooting again, and her cousin and grandmother want to go as well. *DOUBLE TAKE* My Anti-Gun Daughter wants to give it another shot?! I'm in!

Today was the great day. We did a brief (20 minutes) briefing to cover the safety rules, basic mechanics of shooting, positioning, and handling. Had them using dummy rounds to load, chamber, clear firearms. Answered any questions they had. I think this was a good part of the process because everyone got to handle a firearm in a safe environment without the risk of putting a round into the wall.

We started off with the M&P 22 (pistol) to get them eased into and it worked splendidly. All three people were consistently on paper with a good beginners stance and were following all the safety rules.

We then moved onto a M&P 9 Full Size. Everyone shot it, again mostly on paper, and was safe the entire time. Daughter didn't really enjoy the recoil, everyone else was okay with it.

I gave them the option of shooting my Ruger SR1911, which all of them did at one point. Daughter did it, a couple of times, but didn't enjoy it at all. Actually, none of them seemed to enjoy the 45, but that's understandable.

I had a M&P 15-22 in the car as well, so we pulled that out and did a basic function walkthrough on the rifle and then I let them plink away for as much 22 as we had left, which wasn't much at this point.

It took a lot of courage and fortitude for her to go from hating guns to actually enjoying shooting, at least the 22 stuff :D Couldn't be a prouder dad and I am extremely grateful I got to fix my original screwup and re-introduce her to shooting.

We did talk briefly about her getting an FID, but is leaving to go back to school and already has commitments on the night of the LTC class I could have gotten her into, but we'll figure it out when she's back from school.
if your 13 yo daughter was steven segal the 9mm would have been a good start.

That's great, congrats Pat. When my girls were younger we used to all go to MFL about once a month. My youngest daughter, who was probably 14 at the time was scared to death of my wife's Walther P22, she said it shot fire. I had bought her a little CZ bolt 22 but she got bored with that real quick. Believe it or not, her two favorite's were my Marlin 1894 Lever and my S&W 627. Shooting 38 Spc Reloads out of both. The 627 is so heavy the recoil is negligible. She'd pull the hammer back each time making for a very light trigger, just a slow squeeze and she was on paper each time. She wasn't afraid of the recoil and she was accurate, win/win.

I got to thinking about those trips and my older daughter was the polar opposite. I had bought my wife a Mossberg 500 pistol grip roadblocker, she wanted something shorter than her 870. She fired one slug from the hip and handed it back to me. My older daughter grabbed it and fired 15 slugs like it was nothing. She was a Div.1 athlete back then and could probably bench press a Buick. I gave her the gun right there, my wife said that's fine, she'd stick with her 870. Now the heaviest thing my older daughter lifts is my grandson who turned 11 weeks yesterday.

ISIS starts their kids a 5 years, he's a picture of my grandson @ 5 weeks with the bib that I bought him.

MyGrandson's Trigger Discipline

Last edited:
Awesome.

Pretty soon, she'll be like my daughter, saying, "Dad, you really don't have to buy me any more guns--I have plenty!"

Hah!

I also think I got the cousin into shooting at least the 22 matches at MVGC!

I once made the mistake of bringing a new shooter to MFL. In the lanes next to us were a guy shooting a 12 gauge and another with a .454 Casull snubbie, breathing fire... not exactly a great first impression for someone who was timid to begin with.

Congrats, nice X-mas present.

I think with a daughter that looks like like that, you should trade the .22 for something in 12 gauge.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. My wife hates it too, gonna get her a .380.

I have a daughter. Aside from introducing her and my two sons to responsible firearms ownership, I plan to teach them to question republicans, and outright refuse to listen to democrats.

Outstanding! One thing to consider.... It may not be the 9mm itself, it's what it's being shot out of and what the felt recoil is. My 14yr old can shoot my M9 all day long but a mag or 2 out of the M&P 9 and she hates it.

Congrats, nice X-mas present.

I think with a daughter that looks like like that, you should trade the .22 for something in 12 gauge.

Yeah... That's taken care of :D

- - - Updated - - -

obligatory, is your daughter single!

awesome you got her back to the range. I'm 23 and most girls are like ew, guns. gross

Like I would let her date any of you .... NESers!

Even if she never wanted to shoot anything more than a .22... it's still shootin'.
Tell her were all proud of her for giving it another go.
Congrats,
~Matt

Crap blanket statement is crap. Sometimes I even start newbs right on a 9mm. Depends on the mindset and so on, sometimes its really tough to peg down how someone will react, regardless of gender/age. Sounds like noxin eventually got to the right place!

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom