• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tobacco Pipe

Bad13Luck

NES Member
Thinking about getting a pipe, never smoked one before. I smoke cigars regularly. Not sure where to start.

Any help would be great.

stop by the Owl Shop in Worcester, great source of Pipes and Tobacco ( and info), try the Elm Park Mix, its my favorite

OP,

If you're anywhere near Framingham, MA, stop in and see Ernie at Watch City Cigar Co. He blends pipe tobacco for a living and won't steer you wrong. I've known him since his time at the Highland Emporium in Worcester over 15 years ago. A real good guy with tons of tobacco knowledge to share. They have a smoking room in the back as well.

- - - Updated - - -

stop by the Owl Shop in Worcester, great source of Pipes and Tobacco ( and info), try the Elm Park Mix, its my favorite

Agreed. Elm Park is excellent.

OP,

If you're anywhere near Framingham, MA, stop in and see Ernie at Watch City Cigar Co. He blends pipe tobacco for a living and won't steer you wrong. I've known him since his time at the Highland Emporium in Worcester over 15 years ago. A real good guy with tons of tobacco knowledge to share. They have a smoking room in the back as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Elm Park is excellent.

Owl Shop and Watch City are both great places for all things tobacco. [wink]

Last edited:
I dabbled in pipes for a bit but I had a hell of a time keeping them clean. They gum up pretty quickly.

ETA: I was 18-19 at the time and despite what I thought, I hadn't a clue about anything. I bet a pipe cleaner every so often would have solved my problems. [grin]

Last edited:
I dabbled in pipes for a bit but I had a hell of a time keeping them clean. They gum up pretty quickly.

ETA: I was 18-19 at the time and despite what I thought, I hadn't a clue about anything. I bet a pipe cleaner every so often would have solved my problems. [grin]

The Dr. Grabow pipes have filters that need to be changed every so often, a pipe cleaner is a good idea too.

A bit off topic, but there was a study back in the 70's of the AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Services) in Vietnam.

It seems the PX's and Base Exchanges in Vietnam sold approximately 60 pipes for every package of pipe tobacco.

(They didn't sell any rolling papers back then.)[laugh2]

A bit off topic, but there was a study back in the 70's of the AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Services) in Vietnam.

It seems the PX's and Base Exchanges in Vietnam sold approximately 60 pipes for every package of pipe tobacco.

(They didn't sell any rolling papers back then.)[laugh2]

You mean folks didn't roll their own ...ahem...tobacco back in the 1960's ? I'm calling BS on this Skysoldier [bs1] unless you specifically mean no papers at the PX in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam conflict ?

Last edited:
Thinking about getting a pipe, never smoked one before. I smoke cigars regularly. Not sure where to start.

Any help would be great.

"for tobacco use only."

riiiiight OP, right. [wink]

how close are you to the southern NH border? hit up tobacco haven on rt.13 (brookline, NH). if you can smoke anything aside from crack--they have the stuff to put in it, and the pipes. the staff are great and will help you out.

There is a great smoke shop on rte 9 in framingham and main street in waltham named Watch City Cigar. I have been to both, they make their own pipes and they are reasonable, they also make fresh blends. You will also need to pick up a pipe tool and some matches or a special pipe lighter. You can get it all right there. Great service if you don't know what your doing. I recommend highly.

Also, make sure you've got some patience when you pick up a pipe. When I first started it was an exercise in frustration learning the nuances to keeping the thing lit. You'll learn as you go. It isn't as easy as a cigar where you just light and smoke!

yes keeping the pipe lit at first is frustrating, then it actually becomes one of the more relaxing aspects of it but it is much different than cigars. I have a briar pipe that I had to break in and and is very nice now. I also have a grabow but it isn't my favorite

I SMOKED FOR MANY YEARS INCLUDING PIPES. START OUT SMALL, CORN COBS ARE CHEAP AND TRY DIFFERENT TOBACCOS..

A SMOKE SHOP IS YOUR BEST BET, LOTS OF CHOICES AND EXPERIENCE. WHO KNOWS YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT, BUT THEN AGAIN

YOU DIDN'T MAKEA HUGE INVESTMENT.

inglourious_basterds34.jpg

That's not a pipe.....THIS is a PIPE!

big pipe.jpg

I have a dr grabow pipe from when I was younger. I was never quite sure what to think of the funny little filter inside. I quickly bough a meerschaum lined briarwood pipe after attempting to go from cigars to pipes, it was much nicer than the grabow. And it looked sooo nice, I needed it! Getting to the point where I could actually keep it lit took a while. It can be kind of frustrating. I should dig it out and get some fresh tobacco....

Old Firehouse Smoke Shop in Fall River is a great place. The owner John is a great guy and very knowledgeable about his tobacco. He always has great cigar nights, pipe nights, and even Cigar and Spirits dinners at the Viking Hotel in Newport.

I am yet to try a pipe myself, but have been thinking about it too

I have heard these guys in Harvard Square are good for pipe tobacco / cigars Leavitt & Peirce

In addition to Dr. Grabow pipes, Missouri Meershcaum makes decent cheap pipes (corncob and hardwood). I would avoid "short" or mini pipes - the smoke will be hotter when you draw it in. When I smoked a pipe somewhat occasionally I always used matches unless it was oppressively windy. I recall reading somewhere that matches are generally "better" because they don't burn as hot as butane, and thus don't scorch the tobacco as much.....

They key to keeping a pipe lit is having it packed tightly but also not too tight (if you pack it and it takes a lot of effort to draw through it then that is probably too tight), and periodically tamping it and/or poking a hole if necessary. Any decent shop should have pipe tools like this which are kind of handy:
pipe-tool.jpg

Back
Top Bottom