To those of you who carry a 1911 normally...

So my 1911's feel the nicest in my hands and I feel most confident with them over my Glock or XD's. I have been trying to decide what I want to get for carry and the 1911 is seeming like the choice to go with.

I wanted to see how you guy's to carry them regularly like it as a carry weapon and any pros/cons that you may want to point out to someone newly carrying one.

Also, what do you guys use for holstering it. It seems like the best option is the IWB holsters from what I can tell in my research so far. What brands are the ones you want to go with normally on a holster? I have looked around a little and it seems the horsehide ones are the best material but can also take months to get one. I am also looking to see what the various methods of fastening it to your belt or pants are and what you guys think of them.

Lastly was wondering what size 1911 you guys carry. I like the feel of the 3" 1911, nice and compact that S&W has out now, but I am also used to firing a 5" 1911 so I believe I will be comfortable with any size, but what seems to work out the best (or if it even makes a difference) when it comes to concealing. I have heard a couple people say that the 3" 1911 platform does sacrifice some reliability which would not be good when it comes to a personal defense firearm.

All information is appreciated.

Thanks,
BE4TNUT

My daily carry piece is a S&W 1911 pd in a Milt Sparks VM2.

Whats your view onthe 5" vs 4" vs 3"?

Is the additional weight noticed considerably?

Also where do you guys get your carry belts? I will be needing one as well. I hear of any widths from 1.5" - 2". Is that mainly preference or will you notice a significant difference in how your holster is held with the additional half inch or so?

Thanks,
BE4TNUT

Colt 1991A1 Compact. Heavy as a brick but it comforts me! Rides in my Bianchi 3S IWB holster. Sometimes I forget it's there.

DSC_2155.jpg

Summer carry, Colt 1991 Officer's (3" Barrel) in a Galco Fetch ITB or a Galco Tuck-N-Go IWB depending on what works with what I'm wearing.

Winter carry is a Caspian/Colt Government (5" Barrel) in a old Bianchi leather ITB.

Both carried in Condition 1 on a nice 2" or 2.25" leather belt that is Made in the USA!

As for the reliability of the Officer's 45, I've heard people say that the 1911 design is made around the barrel being 5"... Believe what you like. I, for one, haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
Whats your view onthe 5" vs 4" vs 3"?

Is the additional weight noticed considerably?

Also where do you guys get your carry belts? I will be needing one as well. I hear of any widths from 1.5" - 2". Is that mainly preference or will you notice a significant difference in how your holster is held with the additional half inch or so?

Thanks,
BE4TNUT

I have carried both the full size and the commander size, The big difference to me is my commander is the alloy frame model, so it is lighter.
As far as belts go, I use belts from the Beltman.http://www.thebeltman.net/ I prefer the 1.5" width as it fits the type of pants I normally wear. I think the trick is to use a good quality, purpose built gun belt, and a quality holster. I can't bring myself to carry a $700 gun in a cheap nylon "one size fits most" holster, on a $5 belt from walmart.

My everyday carry is a S&W Government 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The Crossbreed makes me forget it's even there. Pair the holster with a decent gun belt and you'll forget about the weight. Love the feeling of a .45 by my side.

1911sc with 4.25 barrel in a Tucker Texas Heritage holster or more often in a Smart Carry turned so the holster is on my hip like a regular IWB. Don't need a special belt that way as it has it's own. It also allows me to carry another magazine.

1911sc1.jpg

Skip the 3" guns. They are typically less reliable, and it isn't the barrel/slide which is hard to conceal. I won't go shorter than 4" with a 1911.

Previously, I carried a Kimber Compact Aluminum (~4" barrel) in Rusty Sherrick IWB holster). Currently I'm carrying a Kimber Custom (full size, stainless steel) in a Mitch Kramer #3 IWB holster. The Kramer holster is super comfortable.

Skip the 3" guns. They are typically less reliable, and it isn't the barrel/slide which is hard to conceal. I won't go shorter than 4" with a 1911.

+1. I won't trust a 3" 1911. 4" sure, but I don't own any. Once the weather gets cooler again I'll be back to the Colt series '70 in a Milt Sparks SSII.

+1. I won't trust a 3" 1911. 4" sure, but I don't own any. Once the weather gets cooler again I'll be back to the Colt series '70 in a Milt Sparks SSII.

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII and never had an issue with reliability and its a 3". There were 2 times I had an extraction issue but that was due to my reloads,I never carry reloads but the Golden Saber that I have put through it were fine. So as for my 3" 1911 I have no problem wondering if it will go bang if I pull the trigger.The only time I worry about that is if I am out of ammo,so I carry a spare mag.IMHO

While I'm skeptical, people swear up and down that their 3" or 3.5" 1911 is reliable. I decided to have someone reputable build a 3.5" for me, and build my own 4.25". Why make up your mind when you can do both?

I'll put 300+ rounds through each before I carry.

TheRoland I put at least 100 rnds a month down my Colt Officers ACP, a mix of Hornaday XTP and Semiwad cutters, be skeptical but the gun works, and it's my daily, in a Safariland 27-53 IWB with a custom made (by me) 1 3/4" belt.

Anyone that wants to bring some ammo and have at it for a few to see if a 3" is reliable, you have an open invite to join me at either of the clubs I shoot at.

occasionally, i carry my 5" S&W 1911 with a Don Hume P.C.C.H holster... i only start to notice it's there towards the end of the day... my Glock is lighter, PPS even lighter [smile]

nothing against 1911's, i like em.. but the round capacity, i'd rather take something smaller and lighter...

Full size Pistol Dynamics 1911 in either a Summer Special or a Alessi PCH. I will always carry an extra mag in either a pocket or on the belt. I have tried to carry others (Glock 23, S&W M&P) but they don't feel as comfortable.

S&W has a compact version with an extended slide.... It has a 4.25in barrel with the officer size frame... If you like the feel of the officer sized grip but don't want to give up the barrel length this might be a good choice.

Stainless 5" S&W Scandium framed 1911 in a bladetech iwb. Theres just something about carrying 9 rounds of 230grain Ranger T's that I can reliably group into 2" groups at 25yards is makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

I prefer to carry a CCO 1911. Commander slide on an officer's frame. I use a HBE Com3 IWB. I first carried an alloy Sig RCS now I have a steel Les Baer Stinger.

HBECom31.jpg

Last edited:
I would recommend looking into a SW 1911 ES. Very nice, mid size .45. A commander (4.25in) slide on an officer (7+1) frame.
Though it won't take a government (5in) slide I'm trying to figure out how to get a 3in slide so I'll have a 2-in-1 gun.
108310_01_md.jpg

I carry a Dan Wesson CCO almost daily.

CCOCTLEFT-1.jpg

To me a CCO is the perfect carry 1911. The Officer frame for concealment, and the Commander slide for maximum reliability potential.

Back
Top Bottom