To sell or not to sell

FrugalFannie

NES Member
As most of you know we are down sizing to a school bus converted to a "motor home" or Skoolie as we like to call it in the community. So the things that won't fit in our new home will either be sold, given away (NOT THE GUNS!), tossed or stored (kept with a friend maybe). Sooooo... would you sell your ARs if you couldn't keep them with you? What about any other rifles? We will likely sell a few handguns. Not too worried about that. The rifles "concern" me given the loony left and the ATF nominee. Concern me in the fact that if the left gets their way we would not be able to replace them if we sell them now. So what would you be "comfortable" selling?

I absolutely would not sell ANY guns.

In your travels, you might find someplace in a free state to settle for a while and given current potential conditions, they may not be replaceable.....at least not at past prices.
I'd find a trusted friend or relative and lock them up there until you decide something permanent.

Nothing... I'd find a way to have them included in the skoolie. Either get additional storage options integrated into otherwise 'dead space' or get creative with locations for them.
I have to agree with this. Hopefully, you never need an AR. But if you do, you will really miss it.

Keep the ARs. Or at the very least, as previously stated, the lowers. I imagine they will fetch a nice amount one day.

Attachments

• demand-the-sum-of-one-million-dollars-dr-evil-53886118.png
    demand-the-sum-of-one-million-dollars-dr-evil-53886118.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 3
Jesus, are things really that bad out there? I took myself out of the game because I don’t want to play at these prices...but are things really THAT hard to find? And do you guys REALLY think that there will be an AWB pushed through? I don’t. At all.

I read last year that the gun lobby was funding Biden’s campaign because they knew if he won that he would keep prices sky high...and I don’t doubt it. I’m literally swimming in AR’s/AK’s, and quite a few of which I bought or traded for at pretty normal prices/conditions within the past year.

I’ve been wondering the same thing as OP though, because I have WAY more guns than I’ll ever ‘need’. I don’t need the cash either, but getting a little worried about a retroactive ‘ban’ on AWB...that’s half of my collection and I’ll be god damned if I’m going to let someone take them from me. I’ll die looking like Swiss cheese before that happens.

OP, I’m modernizing/making livable a VW bus currently and although it’s just going to be me and my dog, the space will be very limite...yet I’m still finding room for a few of my ‘travel companions’ to keep us safe in the voids that exist naturally in the design. You have at least 4x the space to work with. I know I hid plenty of shit on school busses as a kid...do your best and keep what you have!

RV space is fixed. You can only shoot 1 rifle at a time. 556 will be available for a long time.
Logic therefore says sell everything but 1 or 2 556's that are multi-state approved. (or don't visit CA)
I think there will be continued pressure on gun control, and if filibuster is curtailed, gun control will be a done deal. So you may not be able to replace anything short term.
Long term Rep's will win back congress, and undo anything stupid, but who knows when.

RV space is fixed. You can only shoot 1 rifle at a time. 556 will be available for a long time.
Logic therefore says sell everything but 1 or 2 556's that are multi-state approved. (or don't visit CA)
I think there will be continued pressure on gun control, and if filibuster is curtailed, gun control will be a done deal. So you may not be able to replace anything short term.
Long term Rep's will win back congress, and undo anything stupid, but who knows when.
That's cute how you think that once we lose freedoms (related to the 2A) that we'll get them back again just because the label for who's running things changes.

It's always far easier to take freedom/liberty from someone (or a group) than it is to restore it again. IF the .gov manages to impose more restrictions or ban more items, I highly doubt they'll put any 'sunset' aspect into it (like they did in 94). IMO, they learned their "mistake" from that one and won't do it again.

Bottom line, do NOT assume you'll be able to replace anything you sell. Also do NOT assume that AR uppers won't suddenly need serial numbers making them more difficult to get. If anything, I'd be looking to get MORE guns not sell any off. The only thing that might be "safe" to sell and be able to get again later would be a <5 shot bolt action rifle. Or maybe pump shotty. But I wouldn't bet on even that right about now.

When we left MA, I sold some stuff. One was a WASR, pinned stock, Magpul furniture and a bunch of mags thinking "I'll never shoot this again". A big regret, second to the decision I made years ago to sell my '67 Vette and grow up, buy a house and have kids. My ex-wife was my motivation. The things you learn.....
That said, I'd keep a bunch and sell the stuff you may replace later.

The big advantage you have is that you are designing the interior and living space. The ability to incorporate undetectable storage compartments is unlimited.
If you happen to wander into unfriendly territory, it would take a canine and leo willing to rip everything apart to find anything. Not that it is impossible, but it is very unlikely.
And if you do ever find yourself in a situation where there are dogs and swat on the bus, you likely have far bigger problems than a few gun charges.
Besides, do you really want to tour California and New Jersey? LOL.
I would just take extra care to make sure that in the unlikely event of an accident, my items had no chance of spilling onto the highway.

As most of you know we are down sizing to a school bus converted to a "motor home" or Skoolie as we like to call it in the community. So the things that won't fit in our new home will either be sold, given away (NOT THE GUNS!), tossed or stored (kept with a friend maybe). Sooooo... would you sell your ARs if you couldn't keep them with you? What about any other rifles? We will likely sell a few handguns. Not too worried about that. The rifles "concern" me given the loony left and the ATF nominee. Concern me in the fact that if the left gets their way we would not be able to replace them if we sell them now. So what would you be "comfortable" selling?
i am not hoarding rifles eiter - very pragmatic on that point. and i would keep at least one, best scoped hunting rifle, and, as others stated - keep all the lowers, sell the uppers and stocks, if you have to. in reality - bolt action or semi - it is not that critical what you keep as long as you know how to work it well, but to have a 100-300yds reach is helpful.

i am also sure with some creativity you can find a spot in your RVs walls to fit all you need to fit, lowers and barrels. still, uppers are replaceable.

ps. if you really going to roll along the country, i see it very counterintuitive to disarm. think well how to make a discreet hidden compartment you can reach quick from the bedroom/sleeping place, at least i would definitely do that, if i would be alone with my family on the road.

Last edited:
Although they have low R-value, you could always dig out some of that insulation and replace with ARs.

If you have enough, turn them into flooring, remember to stagger the joints.

Replace the stock with a spatula. Now it’s a cooking utensil. Store it in a jar on the countertop.

Remove the wiper blades, replace with ARs.

Be creative!!

At first I thought "Skoolies, I bet the get more attention from law enforcement than most RV type vehicles" but looking around various forums I don't see that to be too much of an issue. When I was on the job, I wouldn't have wanted to pull over a skoolie, for fear I'd have to deal with hippies. Paint big peace symbols all over it, then load it down with as much firepower as you can fit.

I'd be hard pressed to sell an AR right now. Especially with more stories on MSM every day trying to sway public opnion.

If you are selling things to make room, sell some handguns/revolvers or other long guns that could be replaced.

Ive been selling off every “common” item I have not used in more than 3 years.
Including guns
My little collection of marlin model 60s and variants along with extra parts will be next

I have refused to buy SEVERAL lever action and single action guns I want and have the cash for in the last 14 months... if it isn't scary and ban-ready I can't see putting a dime into it right now. But that's just me.

AR's can be extremely easy to store in smaller spaces once they are broken down into the major components. Remove the upper and butt stock and store wherever. The only thing that requires 'secure' storage would be the lower and even that's debatable because it is no longer a working firearm. Remove the pistol grip and/or buffer tube from the lower and now you basically still have your AR but in an extremely easy to store configuration.

At first I thought "Skoolies, I bet the get more attention from law enforcement than most RV type vehicles" but looking around various forums I don't see that to be too much of an issue. When I was on the job, I wouldn't have wanted to pull over a skoolie, for fear I'd have to deal with hippies. Paint big peace symbols all over it, then load it down with as much firepower as you can fit.
I hitch hiked around the country for years and traveled in many a vw and school bus.
Hippies don’t wanna get pulled over for fear we’d have to deal with the cops.
Our trick was we’d leave the box and an open tube of quell on the dashboard by the front door. When the cops came in the bus we’d all start scratching our heads. They’d alway exit the bus quickly and send us on our way.

Back
Top Bottom