• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To Register or Not to Register??....That is the Question.

BW23

NES Member
Hi All,

Big question. Can't find a good thread on this specific topic. Trying to help out a good friend but figured you experienced folks know this right off the bat.

I have a friend who has a LTC in MA and is going to buy a pistol from a private sale. Does he have to register it through the online database Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System?? He said the pistol is not on the AG list but I was told by others that the AG list is only for retail dealers. He is going to go through the E-FA-10 online.

Thanks!

I have a friend who has a LTC in MA and is going to buy a pistol from a private sale. Does he have to register it...

The seller is required to submit a FA-10 within 7 days.

...through the online database Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System??

It can be via paper form or electronic submission.

He said the pistol is not on the AG list but I was told by others that the AG list is only for retail dealers.

Technically, there is no AG list, but yes, compliance or lack thereof only affects what a FFL can transfer.

This thread explains compliance...http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

well he has to file a fa10 to purchase it legally and I believe by doing that it gets registered. but I've been wrong before

So I just talked to him and he said the seller did the transfer through the E-FA-10 website. So he's good with that. He just doesn't know if he has to now register the pistol through the mentioned website. Below is what's on the Mass Firearms Registration and transfer website.

Personal Sale or Transfer

• Use this option if you are a Massachusetts resident and you sold or transferred a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun to another person or to a dealer, and you conducted the sale or transfer personally or through an agent.

Registration

• Use this option if 1) you are a Massachusetts resident and you obtained a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from out of state 2) you recently moved to Massachusetts and you wish to record ownership of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun or 3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau.

He and the seller went through the PERSONAL SALE & TRANSFER link. Everything went through, no problems there. They both got print outs. But then he noticed the REGISTRATION link. And after reading it we both think it does not apply to him since he already did the PERSONAL SALE & TRANSFER link.

Are we correct on this?

My understanding is that the "registration" option is for firearms that have been brought into MA via a MA resident that makes an out of state purchase or someone who moves to MA and wants to bring their firearms with them. Your friend should be all set as the seller filing the FA-10 is all that's required for an in-state sale or transfer.

Are we correct on this?

yes... "Registration" is used if you receive a firearms from a seller from out of state.... if you brought some in when you moved to MA and would like to register them, or whatever the third thing says up there that you quoted....

All, thank you VERY MUCH for the clear cut answers!

My friend will be very happy to hear he didn't miss any steps.

yes... "Registration" is used if you receive a firearms from a seller from out of state.... if you brought some in when you moved to MA and would like to register them, or whatever the third thing says up there that you quoted....

" would LIKE TO REGISTER".........Does this mean iI have a choice to register or do not Register my guns from outof state?

It is definitely nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune than to negotiate Mass gun laws.

Last edited:
" would LIKE TO REGISTER".........Does this mean iI have a choice to register or do not Register my guns from outof state?

No.

A new MA resident, or a MA resident returning after an absence of 180 day or more, is not required to submit a FA-10 on any gun(s) introduced contemporaneously with their move (or return) to MA.

A new MA resident, or a MA resident returning after an absence of 180 day or more, is required to submit a FA-10 on any gun(s) introduced subsequent to their move (or return) to MA.

ETA:Option 3 is also (intentionally, IMO) deceptively worded, as there is no requirement to "register" a gun merely because it is not contained in the database. There are some perfectly legal reasons why a particular gun is not recorded, and there is nothing illegal about possession of such a gun.

Last edited:
No.

A new MA resident, or a MA resident returning after an absence of 180 day or more, is not required to submit a FA-10 on any gun(s) introduced contemporaneously with their move (or return) to MA.

A new MA resident, or a MA resident returning after an absence of 180 day or more, is required to submit a FA-10 on any gun(s) introduced subsequent to their move (or return) to MA.

Typo alert. They can't both be true.

I believe you meant to say after an absence of LESS THAN 180 days is required . . .

x-frog-22 said:

That's what I get from reading this:

2) you recently moved to Massachusetts and you wish to record ownership of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun

Sent from my HTC EVO running Synergy+Godmode using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom