• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To re-blue or not to be-blue

FLHTC

NES Member
I have a few S&W classic revolvers, nothing super old. The bluing is okay but not perfect. I love the old high luster blue finish. Can I get that great quality re-bluing that was standard on these old wheel guns or will re-bluing be sub standard?

I sent a Winchester 30-30 out for rebluing about 3 months ago. I'll let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post a pix so we can see these wheel guns before they hit the tank...

If they are newer, and less collectable, they're yours, have at it.
If you want that python-like blue luster, save for one and live a full life.
...oh, and buy cotton gloves.

Last edited:
I love the old blue look, too, but it seems the old chemistry is not used these days. Probably too toxic. The new blue isn't the same. (Check out the new S&W's) Also, as the guns get older, they'll be worth more with the original finish, scuffs and all, than re-blued. A little honest wear is OK.

I have a few S&W classic revolvers, nothing super old. The bluing is okay but not perfect. I love the old high luster blue finish. Can I get that great quality re-bluing that was standard on these old wheel guns or will re-bluing be sub standard?
Let's see some pics?

I would keep the original finish. Buts that's me.

Post a pix so we can see these wheel guns before they hit the tank...

If they are newer, and less collectable, they're your's, have at it.
If you want that python-like blue luster, save for one and live a full life.
...oh, and buy cotton gloves.

What enbloc said. It's been years since I've seen a new gun with bluing that compares to the Colt Royal Blue of years ago. The older S&W's had nice bluing, but the Colt finish was the standard to which other guns were compared, IMHO.

I love the old blue look, too, but it seems the old chemistry is not used these days. Probably too toxic. The new blue isn't the same. (Check out the new S&W's) Also, as the guns get older, they'll be worth more with the original finish, scuffs and all, than re-blued. A little honest wear is OK.

Agree totally. Like an older, beautiful woman, where a wrinkle or two speaks to acquired experience, a little honest wear on a gun means that it was satisfying enough to be used regularly. Safe queens may look attractive, but when you "hit the range" results count more than looks. [wink][grin]

Agree, any collector piece I wouldn't do.

As to that high luster blue, blue/black finish, try Doug Turnbull, Turnbull MFG, co. I think he's in Ohio Google Doug Turnbull, he'll come up. If anyone can do it he's the guy. But be warned, very pricey.

Back
Top Bottom