• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To me, this has Kaboom written all over it.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So I've been perusing some of the local CAS forums just to get a few ideas and I read a post from a guy who uses a 45LC cylinder in his Uberti Cattleman 44-40 revolver with good results. If I remember correctly 45LC will mic out at .451 and 44-40 will mic at .427, which isn't much but enough that I can't imagine a steady diet of 45LC in that Uberti is a good idea. The guy indicated he's shooting reloads with unjacketed bullets and getting good accuracy, so maybe the lead is pliable enough to form into the smaller barrel.

Though to me this has a kaboom coming his way in the near future. Am I wrong in that thought?

Last edited:
It's putting a 45 bullet into a 44cal gun. Can't see why you would do it, unless you like lead shavings and the like all over your six-gun. LOL

I had to look. 45LC can be up to .454. .027 fatter.

I guess with soft lead it wouldn't lead to massive overpressure. It'd just lead everything up like the dickens.

So I've been perusing some of the local CAS forums just to get a few ideas and I read a post from a gun who uses a 45LC cylinder in his Uberti Cattleman 44-40 revolver with good results. If I remember correctly 45LC will mic out at .451 and 44-40 will mic at .427, which isn't much but enough that I can't imagine a steady diet of 45LC in that Uberti is a good idea. The guy indicated he's shooting reloads with unjacketed bullets and getting good accuracy, so maybe the lead is pliable enough to form into the smaller barrel.

Though to me this has a kaboom coming his way in the near future. Am I wrong in that thought?

Doesn't appear to be a good idea. The 45LC mics out at .454 in lead (.452 jacketed). Moreover, I wouldn't believe info posted by a gun. [smile]

You didn't mention what type of ammo he was using.
Is he using the 45 Colt cylinder with 44-40 ammo or did he say he was using the 45 Colt cylinder with the 45 Colt ammo?

edit to add not that I think either are a good idea but I would guess that the 44-40 in the 45 Colt cylinder wouldn't be much of a pressure issue, it would probably be very low pressure and lead like a bastid

You could probably shoot it with a soft lead round ball at .450-451" as the bearing surface would be small, but not so big as to cause a lot of wear. I would think .012" per side, which is 3 to 4 pages of paper thick, would be okay, but I don't see the point.

How can he not get decent results with the proper caliber? I agree, he may be getting away with something for now but if I shot CAS with that guy I'd keep my distance. Sounds like the guy wants a 3-way with Murphy and Darwin.

Nearly 20 years ago, I went to an indoor range in FL with my grandfather. We shot a few of his pistols and a few of mine. He had this .380 that I thought was the worst hunk of crap ever. It would misfire left and right. After getting thoroughly frustrated with this thing I pulled the magazine only to find that my grandfather loaded .32 ACP in it. Holy crap! Now I am surprised that it fired at all. Luckily nothing bad happened.

Aw hell. I've made several 9-.40's in my time. But this would be like your grandpa hammering a 380 into that 32 chamber. (The diameter difference, assuming you are shooting lead and the 380 would chamber in a 32, which it won't, isn't THAT much different. .027 vs .04 or so

I'm here to shoot Rockrivr1's reloads
594a4ce3a99dd6d67adfc007f5fc892c--tactical-equipment-tactical-gear.jpg

Back
Top Bottom