• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To many Camp Lejeune commercials

Something about the water…..were there too many sea monkeys in there?

Seriously though how did the wells get so contaminated? Was it based on surface chemical usage? Who knows.

More here. Looks like a typical mid century dump with lack of proper toxic dump regulations.

Dang. A well adjacent to a rifle range? Not good.

“Camp Lejeune also began testing water in its rifle range area in 1981 to see if chemicals had drifted from a hazardous waste dump to nearby water wells. These tests involved a water system separate from the one generating Neal's warnings. A rifle range water well was found to be contaminated with some of the same compounds seen elsewhere at Camp Lejeune. Three months later, engineers with oversight over drinking water at the base ordered the closure of one rifle range water well. The Corps did not respond to questions about why it closed one well with "unregulated" chemicals but kept others open. In 1982, Grainger Laboratories in Raleigh, N.C., was hired to test water at Camp Lejeune. The lab's first test shocked chemists. They found "synthetic organic cleaning solvents" contaminating water from two of the base's largest living areas, where thousands of Marines and family lived. Mike Hargett, Grainger's co-owner, told the Times that he and a base chemist urged the Marine officer with oversight over water issues to investigate and fix contamination. But Hargett said, "They would not recognize the hazard. They did not react."
From a quck google search, "possible sources of the contamination include solvents from a nearby, off-base dry cleaning company, from on-base units using chemicals to clean military equipment, and leaks from underground fuel storage tanks".

Yikes. In my previous life, I sampled A TON of groundwater wells that were contaminated from dry cleaning companies nearby. Perchloroethylene was the main contaminant used in the dry cleaning industry but Trichloroethylene was also used.

The fact that they had benzene in the water makes sense that they probably did have leaking fuel tanks too.

What a shame.

Surprised they didn't have any PFAS contamination too.

"I'm Mike Lindell and let me tell you about MY COFFEE"
:rolleyes:
Seriously, I never had the honor of serving, but in my age bracket (51) I have a lot of Jeep buddies over the years who served in desert storm. Army and Marines.
They don't always agree on everything, but when they do, it's the fact that they were all used as Guinea Pigs with a lot of weird crap, shots, exposures to oil fires, etc, etc, etc.
You poor guys, this isn't right, none of this is right, and now to watch your Country go down the shitter years later. :(

Better than Mike Lindell. Or K4K.
I'd take either of those over the latest Democrat PAC ads talking about how Brandon just passed the Inflation "Reduction" Act and how we should all "thank" him... starting to see those on the cable channels.. WTF..

between those, and the local politician ads for Liss-Riordan and the rest of the goons... I throw up a bit in my mouth every time..

"Yikes. In my previous life, I sampled A TON of groundwater wells that were contaminated from dry cleaning companies nearby. Perchloroethylene was the main contaminant used in the dry cleaning industry but Trichloroethylene was also used."

We used it to clean parts in every machine shop I worked in, any Post/Base/Camp with an airfield mechanics used it to clean aircraft parts and back in the day didn't dispose of hazardous waste properly. Cape Cod's groundwater was supposedly contaminated from Otis AFB foam and chemicals and Camp Edwards lead bullets. Back in the 90's there were posters/handouts at most Military Instillations detailing the Camp LeJeune water issue. I stopped drinking the water at Lincoln Lab during that time and brought in bottled water. The commercials are obnoxious and the lawyers are ambulance chasers but our lack of proper disposal of hazardous chemicals was both ignorance and criminal.

I haven't heard any of them, yes I used 3M hearing protection while in the military. If you also used 3M hearing protection, please call 1-800-277-3825 for information about a class action lawsuit against 3M......

There are many hazmat super sites on Camp Lejeune.
In addition to the well that was contaminated by the dry cleaning solution, there is an area specifically marked on the training maps.
The pictures below are a portion of my training map from Camp Lejeune (circa the late 90s) that shows the Stone Bay area.
(This was well before MARSOC took over the Stone Bay area and the area/map now looks significantly different.)
In the top center you can see the KD range roads, the range fan, the impact area, and the pit shacks.
In the bottom right to the east of LZ OWL and bordering the water, you can see a yellow tinted area shaped like a shark fin (sort of).
This area is listed on the map legend as a "contaminated area" and we were instructed to stay well away from it.
There was an occasion printed in the base paper where a unit got lost, wandered into the area and several members reported getting sick.
I don't recall what became of them or the investigation.

Camp Lejeune HazMat map.jpg

camp lejeune contaminated area ledgend.jpg

I was never there and didn't drink the water so I ignore those commercials. Lawyers gonna canvas for clients...its the way of the world now. Same goes for the Kars for Kids commercials, it's always about the money! Perhaps, just move to another station when a commercial you don't like comes on, or better yet, listen to recorded music and get your mind out of the corporate media gutter

I was a kid when my parents were stationed at Camp Jejune in the 80s-90s, thank god we lived off-base. My mom did have cancer that was linked to the contaminated water, she is OK now but it was not fun. Dad has no ill effects that I know about, just the multiple GSWs and shrapnel from the NVA/VC.

I’ve been getting numerous emails daily. I started unsubscribing, although I’m not sure if that is a good thing because they’re asking for an email.

My brother in law was a Marine Master Sgt who died last year from an extremely rare and aggressive brain tumor. He was definitely there during those times but brain tumor isn't listed on the types of cancer that count :mad:. So my sister and his kids are SOL
The drop-down menu in the link below on the right side of the page mentions Other Cancers or Serious Injury.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I assume you must have symptoms they are advertising.
Yup. Liver, kidneys, colon. No fun. I had almost 2 1/2 years of that chemical stew of known carcinogens. The government has been hiding behind the NC statute of repose to prevent anyone for suing in court, but they just waived that for a two year window, which is why you are seeing the lawyers come out of the woodwork.

Yup. Liver, kidneys, colon. No fun. I had almost 2 1/2 years of that chemical stew of known carcinogens. The government has been hiding behind the NC statute of repose to prevent anyone for suing in court, but they just waived that for a two year window, which is why you are seeing the lawyers come out of the woodwork.

Fingers crossed for you, on the medical and legal fronts.

God bless you boys and girls unknowingly living in a toxic swamp and hopefully to hell with those who knew !

Back
Top Bottom