• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

to live again... L1A1 build

Very nice. Love the wood furniture. Could you tell us more about it? What receiver, parts kit etc?

it is an old CAI l1a1 "sporter" that started out as a thumbhole stock. It was acquired in the early 90's and set as a pile of slowly rusting parts for the last 10 years...

It doesn't have a good receiver (Hesse) and the barrel is kind of boggered up... The trilux scope ha long since died out but they suck too.. I will say it makes a great conversation piece... Tim brought it back from the dead, refinished it in black and it looks mint. Since the picture was taken, I have further polished up the wood and it looks even better. The wood is california walnut from ironwood designs. that, the us made receiver, and us made hammer, trigger, and sear, make up six us made parts satisfying 922R requirements.. something you will need to consider if you find one of those CAI guns and want to convert it. Some of them are actually not bad if you find one with an imbel receiver and a good kit.

This one shoots about 6 moa at 100 yards... makes the M1A look like a precision weapon...[laugh]

Mine's a Hesse as well, but despite that it shoots very well. Hesses get a bad rap, but I can't complain about mine. I guess even a blind pig finds an acorn sometimes.

Those Ironwood stock sets will set you back a pretty penny, though. Yours looks fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom