• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To Insure or Not to Insure, that is the question

I just got my renewal for my home owners insurance and was wondering if i should bring up my guns?

Will my insurance co. look at me differently?

I have State Farm insurance. I brought it with me when I moved here. They're used to handling firearms, but they wanted a lot of documentation when I tried to add my collection. Most concerning, they didn't like the fact that I used part of my collection to teach firearms safetey. They said they couldn't insure those guns because they were part of a business.

Too much hassle. So I went with Historic Firearms Insurance as a separate policy. http://www.historicfirearms.com/

Reasonable prices and good customer service.

Depends on what you have...they may cover a thousand or two dollars...but anymore than that you'll need a rider specifically for them.

The standard insurance companies are too expensive for a rider in comparison to others that specialize in such insurance.

Check out any of the collectable insurance companies. Many only want the dollar value of your guns and they will cover them. Last time I plugged in some numbers, it was around 150 a year for 10K of insurance.

google firearm insurance, gun insurance and collectable insurance.

A search here will give the OP a few other options, that will save MUCH money vs a rider on your homeowners. Also in the Northeast, many homeowner insurance companies are antsy about guns (or certain types of popular guns) demanding lots of info on exactly what you own. Queries to some companies may lead to cancellation of your homeowners. Personal opinion is better to have a special policy with another company for guns here. [I might think differently if I lived in TX, but MA is NOT TX that's for sure.]

My wife is my agent (home, auto, etc...). She said lots of people have guns, and just "bringing it up" that you have guns won't raise your premiums, etc.

Suggest you call your agent and ask them about adding a rider (i.e. for theft, fire, etc.). You may need to show receipts or appraisals so they'll know what they're worth.

Back
Top Bottom