• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To get an AR now or not...

But would maintaining an AR be more difficult? a buddy of mine made the comment of "They shit where they eat"... I had to ask for clairification on that... but he bascially said they get really dirty when shooting and need to be cleaned often. He also said they were a bit of a pain to maintaine... BUT that is why I figured I'd ask here.

Patrick A. Rogers (of the Patrick Rogers Carbine Course fame - http://www.eagtactical.com/ ) has a very good article in the December 2006 issue of SWAT magazine on "Keeping Your Carbine Running". If you are going to listen to anyone about how to keep your AR-15 rifle or Carbine clean I think Pat Rogers is close to the head of the list, if not at the top.

Honestly,

PRICE BE DAMMNED!

Here's how I see it:

Do you have a credit card with 1000-1500.00 open on it?

Buy the AR.

Is that money going to break the bank? (Make it so you can't feed the family, clothe your kids, heat your house, etc.)?

If not, buy the AR.

This is NOT the time to be waffling about para-military rifles. If Devil bans them, you (and everybody else here) will be singing the "Remember when we could at least buy neutered AR's in this state for reasonable dough?" song.
Then you'll give your eye teeth for a black rifle, and even a letter from the pope ain't gonna get you one, EVER.

You WILL make more money. You WILL love the AR after you buy it. The ammo cost is NOT a big deal (bought right it's only slightly more than .38 special rounds).

Make it happen and do not look back.

+1

Anyone know of any places that carry a selection of AR merchandise, internet or store in New England, or are we kind of at the mercy of the "emergency orders" Carl from FS has been placing. According to him, everyone is getting them and he can't keep up with the requests. I'm totally thinking about getting one even though I don't need it much right now. Again, just to have it in case DOOMS DAY hits or the "Togther We Can" Libs close up shop. Can you still get them with 40mm grenade launchers? [devil]

Those look awesome... but based on some of the features... I'm guessing they are Not MA Legal... Flash hider, adjustable stock... both non-MA... but if they made a MA Legal one.

I'm still on the fence... ATM it is a $$$ issue for me... not that I couldnt afford the AR... more the cost to shoot concidering Im still new at this.

There is a MA legal version of the DPMS AR that shoots .22LR. DPMS just recently changed their website - and now all they list is the non MA legal one with a flash hider, but I would bet that you can get a MA legal one:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/22/ap4.aspx

I am torn between getting a "real" AR that shoots .223, or .308 - and costs more money to buy and to shoot, and getting an AR that shoots .22LR and costs a little less - and costs less to shoot. I am thinking of getting the .22LR version first so I can get shooting sooner, then getting a .223 version as soon as I can after that. The money flow is a problem at the moment - hopefully the Deval will be up to his eyeballs in other issues for a while and won't be able to really screw us right away. The shopping list I have includes something in .308 like a nice M1A or FAL, a nice Garand, maybe a nice old K31 or Mauser, and a few other things I have seen that I really like.

I had seen these before - are they any good? I have not heard anything about them one way or another.

Well if you want it for just plinking I think they should be fine. The guys that use them to practice for HP during the winter typically have dedicated uppers built with the chambers cut into the barrels instead of the insert that is on the kit, but they are looking for superb accuracy. I've been tempted to get a kit, and possibly build a upper, but just don't have the funds for it now. I've been told the kits shoot pretty good out of the center fire barrels though.

I might get one at some point.

B

Back
Top Bottom