• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To get an AR now or not...

Here is the thing...

I want an AR at some point... but I am also just starting out. And would feel more comfortable starting with some .22's and such until I become more knowledgable.

BUT with the impending Patrick dooms day coming... should I get an AR now... Or would I be best served following my original plan of a 10/22 and getting an AR in a Year or so?

Any thoughts?

Do you think we would get ANY warning if the Devil was going to BAN AR's/AK's?

Does anyone wanna sell a real nice AR to me for $300? (ok... worth a shot anyway [wink]

Deval Patrick is going to ban white people first. Once you are forced to move you won't have to worry about and gun ban. [wink]

Another vote +1 on the AR your going to want it regardless for the future and they are great rifles for anyone in shooting sports.

10/22's will be around forever. As bad as things could get in this state, a 10/22 could end up bring one of the few semi-auto rifles that we'll be allowed to buy.

As far as starting out goes... how many gun-nuts first hands-on experience/familiarization with firearms was with the M-16 they were issued in basic training?

10/22's will be around forever. As bad as things could get in this state, a 10/22 could end up bring one of the few semi-auto rifles that we'll be allowed to buy.

As far as starting out goes... how many gun-nuts first hands-on experience/familiarization with firearms was with the M-16 they were issued in basic training?

I never fired a gun until I went into the army and shot the M16. That's what got me hooked on guns....

mm... I guess my only other concerns are cost and maintenance...

Obviously the AR and ammo are signifigantly more then a .22 but I think I can swing that... just wont go shooting as often.

But would maintaining an AR be more difficult? a buddy of mine made the comment of "They shit where they eat"... I had to ask for clairification on that... but he bascially said they get really dirty when shooting and need to be cleaned often. He also said they were a bit of a pain to maintaine... BUT that is why I figured I'd ask here.

Not hard to clean at all. Depending on what ammo you use will determine how bad the carbon builds up.

ETA: Was your buddy in the Air Force? [shocked]

I find them a lot easier to clean than my Ruger 10/22, but I don't religiously clean my .22 after shooting like I do my CF guns.

I'll only run a boresnake down the 10/22, but will pop the pin and clean the AR properly. I find it one of the easiest long guns to clean.

Not hard to clean at all. Depending on what ammo you use will determine how bad the carbon builds up.

ETA: Was your buddy in the Air Force? [shocked]

Marines. But he also knows I'm new to shooting... so he may have just been refering to being a new shooter. He is a freaking "huge gun nut"

Same dilema, different decision. Do you buy the new Bushmaster thats been Mass-tercized or the Pre Ban for double the money? All I want is a shooter, not a collectable.

Buy the post-ban. Buy the pre-ban parts. Use it legally without the tele-stock and other banned features but keep the ability to install them if TSHTF.

Buy the post-ban. Buy the pre-ban parts. Use it legally without the tele-stock and other banned features but keep the ability to install them if TSHTF.

I'd be careful about that... be wary of "constructive intent" laws.

To the best of my knowledge, it's the kind of thing that's an add on charge to more serious matters (like they really want your azz or tag it on as a plea bargain thing), but when dealing with the current MA anti-gun climate, one can never be overly cautious.

I'd be careful about that... be wary of "constructive intent" laws.

To the best of my knowledge, it's the kind of thing that's an add on charge to more serious matters (like they really want your azz or tag it on as a plea bargain thing), but when dealing with the current MA anti-gun climate, one can never be overly cautious.

Understood, BUT you CAN legally buy AR uppers (without a license IIRC) in any configuration. The crime, or perhaps more accurately the violation occurs when that upper is assembled into a complete weapon on a post-ban lower (the actual firearm).
I'm saying, get what you think you might need when TSHTF and lock it up, never to see the light of day. In a true SHTF scenario, draconian gun laws will likely be the least of our problems.

Same dilema, different decision. Do you buy the new Bushmaster thats been Mass-tercized or the Pre Ban for double the money? All I want is a shooter, not a collectable.

Unless you are buying a second one for your Son [wink] , you need to buy the pre-ban collapsible stock so it will fit both of you. Judicious shopping should find you one in the $1000 area, only ~$200 more than a stock A2 style Bushy.

WRT buying pre-ban parts:

- When the Fed ban was in effect, BATFE position was that UNLESS you owned a pre-ban lower, possession of pre-ban parts with a post-ban gun was felonious intent and prosecutable.

- That's why some of us will caution against doing this. No telling what MA will do to someone, we have no "technical branch" to make judgment calls, so the DA will oftentimes choose to crucify someone for political gains.

But would maintaining an AR be more difficult? a buddy of mine made the comment of "They shit where they eat"... I had to ask for clairification on that... but he bascially said they get really dirty when shooting and need to be cleaned often. He also said they were a bit of a pain to maintaine... BUT that is why I figured I'd ask here.

I also tell people that ARs shit where they eat....

That being said, it's kind of an overrated issue, assuming a decent
rifle, good USGI magazines and followers are used. DI gas impingement
is a design flaw, yes, but it's not as bad as some people make it out
to be, thats for sure. An AR is not an AK, but it's not the "fire 100
rounds then you need to clean it" level of BS people make it out to
be.

And cleaning an AR for the purpouses of keeping it functioning does not
take very long at all. All you really need to do is clean out the bolt
group, the part of the upper the bolt group rides in, chamber
and bore. The interval at which you do this depends on personal
preference. I prefer to keep mine clean after I'm done using it because
its the only AR I have. If I had one that was strictly a range toy
only, I might be more apt to foul it up and leave it that way for
awhile. You'd be surprised at how many rounds an AR will take before
it stops working, assuming the gun is well made. It's not as low as
you think it would be. Most people with decent guns get frustrated with
the lack of failure after a case or so (1000 plus rounds) and then clean
cause they don't like their rifle being dirty, for the hell of it.

In any event, I can clean all the most important stuff on mine inside
of 20 minutes. It's not really a big deal once you've done it
once. You'll get faster with increased familiarity.

-Mike

do it now...go today right after work and buy your AR. Tomorrow will be a really nice day so you can go and shoot it and tell us all about it....oh yeah...take pictures of your new aquisition and put it in the November thread.

Here is the thing...

I want an AR at some point... but I am also just starting out. And would feel more comfortable starting with some .22's and such until I become more knowledgable.

BUT with the impending Patrick dooms day coming... should I get an AR now... Or would I be best served following my original plan of a 10/22 and getting an AR in a Year or so?

Any thoughts?

Do you think we would get ANY warning if the Devil was going to BAN AR's/AK's?

Does anyone wanna sell a real nice AR to me for $300? (ok... worth a shot anyway [wink]

DPMS (www.dpmsinc.com) sells AR's that shoot .22LR . I believe Bushmaster also makes one. You can also buy .22LR uppers to go with the lower or your choice. You could buy a good quality lower, and a .22LR upper and I believe you would then be safe under the existing laws to replace the .22LR upper with one of a different caliber later.

This might solve your "buy and AR now" and your "want to shoot .22" problems.

I am waiting on my Class A to come thru. My first purchase is going to be a semi-auto handgun of some sort (probably Glock), and my next purchase will most likely be a DPMS .22LR AP4 so I can get practicing cheaply. After that will either come another pistol - or an M1A or AR in .308 - or - an AR in .223. I have a number of slots in the gun safe that need to get filled up.

Those look awesome... but based on some of the features... I'm guessing they are Not MA Legal... Flash hider, adjustable stock... both non-MA... but if they made a MA Legal one.

I'm still on the fence... ATM it is a $$$ issue for me... not that I couldnt afford the AR... more the cost to shoot concidering Im still new at this.

Those look awesome... but based on some of the features... I'm guessing they are Not MA Legal... Flash hider, adjustable stock... both non-MA... but if they made a MA Legal one.

I'm still on the fence... ATM it is a $$$ issue for me... not that I couldnt afford the AR... more the cost to shoot concidering Im still new at this.

.22's are fun and more cost effective to shoot...this is true. But the smell of that powder from a .223 is incredible....goes great with a cup of coffee on a nice fall morning...what a breakfast. Take your aim....squeeze that trigger...the crack of that round going off and shattering the silence of the day.....the bolt rocking back to eject the spent casing and chamber the next round....the gentle nudge on your shoulder lets you know this is a good day......

but .22's are good too. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter which you choose.

Stop thinking about it, it's hurting me

If you have the cash to buy, get the AR. You will NOT be dissapointed. Accurate out of the box with negligible recoil. .22's will be around for a long time and you can actually pick them up used for under $100 when you get some more holiday $. .223's make things explode and jump a hell of a lot better than the .22 but also put nice groups in paper. No real reason not to buy an AR if you can afford it. The ammo? Yeah it's more but you may shoot fewer rounds if you can see crap explode at 100 yds, I know that I do. Make great sounds on steel plates also. If you're thinking about squirrel hunting, then do the .22.........

Enjoy!!!
P.S. - Once you go black you'll never go back, rifle that is (oh wait that's been used before)

Honestly,

PRICE BE DAMMNED!

Here's how I see it:

Do you have a credit card with 1000-1500.00 open on it?

Buy the AR.

Is that money going to break the bank? (Make it so you can't feed the family, clothe your kids, heat your house, etc.)?

If not, buy the AR.

This is NOT the time to be waffling about para-military rifles. If Devil bans them, you (and everybody else here) will be singing the "Remember when we could at least buy neutered AR's in this state for reasonable dough?" song.
Then you'll give your eye teeth for a black rifle, and even a letter from the pope ain't gonna get you one, EVER.

You WILL make more money. You WILL love the AR after you buy it. The ammo cost is NOT a big deal (bought right it's only slightly more than .38 special rounds).

Make it happen and do not look back.

Last edited:
Like all guns do.

He must not know how to. My heaviest used AR has just over 6000 rounds and I have yet to find a broken part. I also have not replaced any part because of wear (other than the barrel).

Is that normal to have to replace a barrel after only 6000 rounds?

-Cuz.

Back
Top Bottom