• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To fold or not to fold the buttstock on a precision bolt action rifle?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So I have a rifle being built for me and I got a call from the company making the rifle asking if I would like a new option they are providing. Basically do I want a folding buttstock or not. I'm thinking folding would be easier to transport, but not sure if there is any effect on a rifles accuracy due to how they lock in the buttstock when it's unfolded.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Are you going to do anything with the rifle other then take it out of your car and walk 15 feet to your shooting bench? If no, don't waste the money. If you are actually going to use the rifle and strap it to a pack to hike in somewhere to shoot it, then I would get the folder.

Are you going to do anything with the rifle other then take it out of your car and walk 15 feet to your shooting bench? If no, don't waste the money. If you are actually going to use the rifle and strap it to a pack to hike in somewhere to shoot it, then I would get the folder.

Thanks. This rifle will be used for games such as PRS and such. Folding seems to be convenient but overall I'm wondering how well it'll stand up when moving around at a PRS match.

Thanks. This rifle will be used for games such as PRS and such. Folding seems to be convenient but overall I'm wondering how well it'll stand up when moving around at a PRS match.
i have 1 folding and 2 not folding - an XLR element 3 i got has a folding adapter.
folding helps a lot for cleaning, as you can get stock out of the rod way. i can also transport that rifle in a shorter soft case. both benefits are, well, not critical.
it adds some length to the stock. it also, like it or not, adds some potential wobble.

i have 1 folding and 2 not folding - an XLR element 3 i got has a folding adapter.
folding helps a lot for cleaning. i can also transport that rifle in a shorter soft case. both benefits are, well, not critical.
it adds some length to the stock. it also, like it or not, adds some potential wobble.

Wobble seems like a bad thing in a precision rifle......

Is the folding option also modular, I.e you’ll be able to swap stocks in the future if you feel like it?

Is the folding option also modular, I.e you’ll be able to swap stocks in the future if you feel like it?
the stock usually sits on the tube, and tube sits in the adapter, on loctite and bolt that crushes into the threads of the tube to prevent it from moving.
that is xlr, there are other designs out there, of course, it depends upon a chassis.

Last edited:
Seeing I ordered from the same company as you, I'm thinking I'll pass as well.
i think it becomes more of a necessity if you have a 26" or longer barrel, then that folder actually starts making much more practical sense.
i dislike it also because when you fold it - it does not fit well into any of hard rifle cases i got - it would need a thicker one.

Seeing I ordered from the same company as you, I'm thinking I'll pass as well.
to add to it - on this MPA chassis
2019-PMR-aa-e1652055578460.jpg

the stock is already too long as is - i had to order a shorter optional buttpad. with a folder installed it would get too long even with that one below.
20200819_122721_resized.jpg

I have 3 XLR chassis with the folder. They work well, There are a couple of set screws that you have available to take any slack out of it. Mine are tight even with the screws backed out.

They make storing them in my smaller safe a lot easier because I have the top shelf in to store smaller items. I don't fold them for transport, since I have cases long enough.

But those are my only folders, my MPA's are all non folding.

So I have a rifle being built for me and I got a call from the company making the rifle asking if I would like a new option they are providing. Basically do I want a folding buttstock or not. I'm thinking folding would be easier to transport, but not sure if there is any effect on a rifles accuracy due to how they lock in the buttstock when it's unfolded.

Thanks
One more thing to come loose. Or blame for a bad shot

I think I would lose interest at "new option". (Bear in mind that my only "folder" was a Savage 24C.)

Thanks
Which stock/chassis? That’s is the big deciding factor for me.

Which stock/chassis? That’s is the big deciding factor for me.

It’s a Masterpiece Arms rifle.

It’s a Masterpiece Arms rifle.

I've got an MPA folder and theirs have a big bump out on the side that I didn't care for. I will say that if the bump out doesn't bother you the lockup on it is rock solid.

iu

I've got an MPA folder and theirs have a big bump out on the side that I didn't care for. I will say that if the bump out doesn't bother you the lockup on it is rock solid.

iu
more important part is to note how much length it will add to your LOP.
and note what i posted about that buttplate part.

I switched to a folder for a multitude of reasons and the MPA is rock solid. Zero regrets. Can swing it to get the bolt out for cleaning, carries/packs easier, shorter soft case for transport. It isn't critical but the convenience factor is huge and I can't say there is even a little bit of wobble or I would ditch it.

AICS AX 2.0 and KRG Whiskey 3 folders work perfectly fine for me on .308 and .338LM. No regrets. Easier to transport with stock folded, especially the .338LM, it's a long-barreled beast. A well made folding stock is a good thing on a precision rifle, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom