To FFL or not to FFL?

How long dose getting the FFl take.
From what I get I/we will need to get the place rented first . So you got money tied up for x months till you get the green light.
Depending on time of year and weather conditions ATF can be 3-4 months.
MA is MA, depends on department and town, but plan on 3-4 months there too.

Anecdotal and personal experience, YMMV and that assumes no one needs to be "convinced" to approve, but is just working through the process of background checks and confirming zoning. Personally, I wouldn't go into it assuming anything less than 6 months with things going smoothly...

That also excludes any time that you spend on the lawyering and accounting side...

Are FFL's exempt from state gun laws? What I mean is can an FFL have an AR15 with a collapsable stock, post ban mags, etc? Yes, I know he can't sell that stuff to customers but can he still own it? I know he could sell to NH residents.

I know some FFL's with class 3 guns, and I know that requires a special class 3, $500 tax as well. They need to sell class 3 to stay in business, but I wonder how many post samples they sell to LEO agencies to keep the ATF off their back.

Yes, FFLs can possess new AWs and new large-capacity mags. They are supposed to be for sale, either to LE agencies in MA or to anyone (via FFL in other state) outside of MA.

There is a specific exemption in the law for them.

I have another small question. Might need to start my own thread.

If you have an FFL, but no SOT, you have to wait like everyone else and fill out SBR, SBS, MG forms right? But you can still own pistol variants that would otherwise be illegal.

But with an SOT, you can buy them without paperwork. But can you make one? I.E. buy a pistol and then put a stock on it?

Back
Top Bottom