To clean after every outing or not to clean after every outing? That is the question.

How often do you clean the barrel of your gun

• Clean after every range trip

Votes: 45 28.5%
  • Clean only occassionally and not after every range trip

Votes: 82 51.9%
  • Have a specific timeframe for cleaning after so many range trips

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • What is Cleaning?

Votes: 26 16.5%

• Total voters
At least it's a gun related thread lol.

Christ some of these other threads though - like a whole thread about how a particular NES member stinks and sweats?! Like, what. the. f***. Just saw that one the other day.

Freedom of speech of course etc. etc. I get it.

I've found in IDPA/USPSA that a really easy way to back off overzealous SO's is to ask to see the rule they're referencing. You can't show me the rule? Oh well. You don't just get to make shit up.
Good idea. But honestly, I'm good with whatever the range master says. It helped that I outshot most of them my 1st time on the course at the end of the day. I think they thought I was just another Tackleberry showing up.

I'm lucky if I remember to wipe after every second poop. Gone are the days of my youth where I'd make sure to disassemble and clean each part after each outing.

Option isn't there for how I do it. Mine all get an inspection, a wipe down and a bore snake at the range before they are packed up to go home. Takes less than a minute per gun. Part of my range "kit" is a 30cal ammo can with cloths, snakes, CLP and rods to clear a blockage should one occur. Each caliber snake goes in it's own ziploc bag to keep "untangled" and organized. Detailed strip and cleaning, could be years on some or monthly on others (more so rimfire).

Do you guys that clean your guns after every range trip change your vehicle's oil after every errand you run? "One mile or 3000 miles, I always change my oil if I start my engine!"

That's kind of how I look at cleaning firearms, except in the obvious case of corrosive ammo. You can change your car's oil every time you drive it, or, more practically, after you've used it for a while and/or it's been a long time.

If you clean it every time you're just wasting time and cleaning supplies, but if that's your thing, more power to you. I'll stick with cleaning them when they're actually dirty.

Good idea. But honestly, I'm good with whatever the range master says. It helped that I outshot most of them my 1st time on the course at the end of the day. I think they thought I was just another Tackleberry showing up.
And you probably did it without washers in the pockets of the fishing vest lmao

22’s are probably the only guns I clean after every range trip.

I remember when I was a new gun owner I would go crazy using bore foaming cleaners to remove all copper fouling etc. Then years later I realized it didn’t matter. Bore snake for the barrel now lol
22s are probably the only guns you don't break on a regular basis.

how hard is it to run a damn bore snake through the gun after you shoot it? Once a year I pull everything out of the safes, and do a complete job.

You damn youn'ens with your fancy chrome lined bores think you can just ignore cleaning /jk

Last edited:
... 2 ex SF guys I know say it is more important to lube than clean.
19e61i.jpg

Do you guys that clean your guns after every range trip change clean your vehicle's oil after every errand you run? ...
Most of us have these things called "oil filters" on our engines,
so we clean the oil during the errands.

You should buy some oil filters on Amazon.
511xohPWZ4L.jpg

No way man, Wesson rules. Every time i shoot my M&P nine it smells like french fries.....

0002700061286_1_a1c1_1200-png.581750
Splitter.

lg_f272d7_slide-1.jpg

how hard is it to run a damn bore snake through the gun after you shoot it? Once a year I pull everything out of the safes, and do a complete job.

You damn youn'ens with your fancy chrome lined bores think you can just ignore cleaning /jk
So your claiming to be a crotchety old bastage and your using a new-fangled bore snake ? I thought all you old hags used old pillow tickling , a wire coat hanger and some spit for a bore clean ? ;)

I clean based on round count. As @SKumar said, I find it relaxing. Would highly recommend WipeOut Tactical Advantage. Great for my AR chrome lined barrel. Removes copper, carbon and powder fouling from the bore, but can also be used on the bolt carrier and the gas system.

Like a good Marine TPNES used to meticulously clean after each range trip or if it had gone long enough since a good coat of CLP. Then the collection got so large and residency happened. Now the method is liberally spray internals down with aerosolized gun oil or use grease on high friction components and stack them floor to ceiling in the gun room with a dehumidifier. Worked so far.

Sorry @cams I’ve forsaken my training and become a heathen out of expedience.
Ya bro I don’t even know how to respond to this. lol

Last years TPNES : young Marine Veteran, smart, tough, successful, buried in guns, good looking guy (no homo), probably buried in pussy, living like a king.

This years TPNES: I can’t clean my guns anymore because I’m too busy selling them so I can get married, oh and I stick my finger in peoples buttholes for a living now.

Something went horribly wrong during the covid lockdowns. lmao

I’m kidding of course, I’m happy for you brother and wish both of you the best. 🍻🇺🇸

Three passes with a bore snake and a nylon brush to the slide on pistols.

Three passes with a bore snake and disassembly and wipe down/inspection of bolt and carrier on AR/AK types.

Lube both and back in the rack.

Back
Top Bottom