• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To clean after every outing or not to clean after every outing? That is the question.

How often do you clean the barrel of your gun

• Clean after every range trip

Votes: 45 28.5%
  • Clean only occassionally and not after every range trip

Votes: 82 51.9%
  • Have a specific timeframe for cleaning after so many range trips

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • What is Cleaning?

Votes: 26 16.5%

• Total voters

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I posted some pictures of what seems to be cooper fouling in one of my rifles earlier today and I was asked why I'm not cleaning them after every outing. Got me wondering what people do after a range day. Do you clean your rifle barrel after every outing or do only clean a rifle barrel occasionally.

Personally I only do it occasionally. I find that a fouled barrel is more accurate on the first several shots. After I clean a rifle thoroughly it seems to need a couple of shots before the accuracy settles in. This is a particular PITA with hunting rifles.

So that's my questions. Which camp do you follow in? Clean after every range trip or not?

Rarely clean unless it's something I plan to store a long time. Can't really consider a gun reliable unless you leave it filthy and have it function well every time.

My Winchester model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag just doesn't need it. Same with the 17 HMR CZ bolt guns. I wipe down the bolt and inside the receiver but almost nothing shows up on the patch. With anything else, it's "none of the above". Depends on the design. Depends on how well they operate when dirty. Depends on whether I'm planning on taking it back out again within a month or two. I do like them to be clean for longer-term storage.

Like @SKumar, I clean the .22's often, (every time they're used) - from simple spraydown/wipe to full clean depending upon how many rounds I shot. rimfire is DIRTY. Doesn't matter if it's revolver, pistol or rifle - .22's get cleaned.

I clean my revolvers after every range trip. I shoot leaded bullets in them, and there's always some discoloration on the cylinder from the burning powder.

I cleaned my G34 yesterday after the range, it's probably had 4 or 5 thousand rounds through it since the last cleaning. It's plastic/fantastic, I don't worry too much about it. That's my match gun. I usually look at it before a match and if it's filthy I'll give it a quick clean. When I do clean it, I disassemble the slide and clean the internals.

I clean the 22s often, but the centerfires I only clean for relaxation, like watching a movie.
This. My .22lr wheel gun gets real foul, to the point ejecting rounds is near impossible, so I have to clean that every time. I've been getting better and letting my centerfire guns go a bit between cleaning, but I weirdly enjoy the ritual of field strip cleaning them.

I posted some pictures of what seems to be cooper fouling in one of my rifles earlier today and I was asked why I'm not cleaning them after every outing. Got me wondering what people do after a range day. Do you clean your rifle barrel after every outing or do only clean a rifle barrel occasionally.

Personally I only do it occasionally. I find that a fouled barrel is more accurate on the first several shots. After I clean a rifle thoroughly it seems to need a couple of shots before the accuracy settles in. This is a particular PITA with hunting rifles.

So that's my questions. Which camp do you follow in? Clean after every range trip or not?

Copper fouling accumulates after so many rounds if you don't use a cleaning method that targets the copper residue in the bore. Copper-specific bore cleaners, foaming bore cleaners, etc. You can throw Hoppe's 9 or whatever else the gun store sells at copper fouling all day and the patches will still come out blue/green.

I clean each of my guns when I feel they need more than a wipe down with oil. There's no magic solution or rule that applies for every gun. The only time I stuck to a strict cleaning schedule was when a I owned a JM Pro - Jerry Miculek in his video on cleaning the shotgun said to clean the shotgun every 400 rounds, so, I did, and the gun never had an issue.

While there's a lot of topics that gun people can agree on, the ones that people will never agree on are cleaning regimens or methods (edit: there is one exception, and that's the immediate need to remove corrosive salts when shooting corrosive ammo, but how people go about that varies from Windex to boiling water to cold water to a corrosive-salt-specific bore cleaner). The one trend I do notice is that sometimes people tend to stick with whatever they learned when they first got into guns. Veterans tend to stick with CLP-type products because that's what they used in the military. People who got into guns through family often stick with what their family member used. But eventually, people go off on their own and experiment and have different requirements than what dad or the military did.

In some peoples' minds, the only right answer is to always clean a gun after every time a projectile goes down the barrel. In others', the answer is never. Find what works for you and realize that there is no one answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have over 7,500 rounds through my KAC SR-15 and I’ve never cleaned it, the BCG looks furry. All 7,500 rounds have been suppressed. It’s filthy but runs perfect. Except for high end hunting rifles and my carry gun I quit cleaning, it’s a waste of time.

Really depends on the gun. Glocks, shotguns, and .22s never get cleaned. Revolvers and 1911s get cleaned regularly.

Keep them clean and with a coating of rust prevention such as Hornady One-Shot, inside and out. Soot absorbs humidity and holds it against the steel.

I almost always at least wipe down the surface of my firearms, especially if there is a lot of powder residue. I also pass a bore snake through to clean out any accumulated gunk.

IF it appears to be really dirty I might go further.

Right now I am in my winter time breakdown, inspect, clean, and lubricate mode for my rifles (that need it) in preparation for the upcoming year.

YMMV and that is fine with me.

Last edited:
I am not sure how to vote. I guess for me, it depends on the gun. If i am shooting my Springfield p9c, I will field strip and clean after returning home. However if i am shooting my Ruger mk3… fuq that ish! That gun is lucky to see a bore snake.

I used to clean after every range trip but lately I wait until I've shot at least 1000 rounds. The exceptions being black powder and this current batch of Turkish made 7.62x39 that I am shooting through that says non-corrosive but actually has corrosive primers.

Back
Top Bottom