• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To Chrome, or not to Chrome?

I've got a Kel-Tec P3AT, and the finish is starting to wear off the slide. I've read that this is a pretty common affliction, and some folks have chromed the slide to prevent further wear.

That said, where could I get this done? Any ideas on what it would cost? Other alternatives? I am definitely NOT in this for the bling factor but for the "don't want it to rust out on me" factor...

Thanks in advance!

Chrome is plated on and has thickness. You may want to try one of the other finishing opions such as black oxide or some of the gun specific treatments. Armaloy comes to mind.

A brushed nickel finish would look nice and not have the bling factor look.

An inexpensive alternative would be to apply a GunKote or DuraCoat finish (I'm assuming the slide has a non-plated finish already).

I'm basically looking for the cheapest method of protecting the slide I can find. The linked chroming places seem to be running ~ $100 for the slide; don't know if they'd cut a break on the Kel-Tec since it's so small.

I think I'll experiment before I ship it out...

Hard Chrome is pretty good.. but any of the good "metal" things like
that, or nickel, are always expensive.

You could try to find a place that does the baked on ceramic
finishes, like cerakote, etc... any place that knows what theyre
doing will be able to make it come out halfway decent, with likely
better durability than whatever the factory put on he slide to
begin with.

Not sure what the slide is made out of, but if its the right kind of
metal you could probably get it parkerized, which would probably be
the cheapest... probably wouldn't blend in with the frame color (black) very well, though.

-Mike

Chrome is plated on and has thickness. You may want to try one of the other finishing opions such as black oxide or some of the gun specific treatments. Armaloy comes to mind.

Hmm. You can get an electroless nickel that is extremely thin, especially if you use a nickel/PTFE finish like NP3. http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm
I'm basically looking for the cheapest method of protecting the slide I can find. The linked chroming places seem to be running ~ $100 for the slide; don't know if they'd cut a break on the Kel-Tec since it's so small.

I think I'll experiment before I ship it out...
$110 for the slide to be NP3 treated at Robar. It's $70 for their electroless nickel, and $50 for them to parkerize it. But add $25 if they have to chemical strip the old finish. Still, those last two options come to under $100.

Robar is very well regarded, though they usually have a bit of a waiting period. You can call and ask.

The very very cheapest thing you can do is to cold blue it yourself... and you know that'll look great [laugh].

Back
Top Bottom