• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To buy the CMMG .22 conversion or not

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CMMG22LRCONV

I contacted CMMG and they responded to me right away. I told them I live in this hellhole and I want to buy their 22 conversion but can't have the 26 round mags. The nice gentleman told me that if I put "Include 10 round magazines instead of 26 round magazines" in the memo box, I can order the bolt carrier and magazines. I was quite happy with CMMG. Does anyone have one of these? I do not want a complete upper assembly and really don't care about cleaning my barrel more often. Thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

[mg]

I found barrel cleaning to be the least of myproblems. Accuracy was just aweful in my stag carbine upper..not even plink'n fun accuracy.

I have one in my spikes tactical ar, fun to shoot and accurate. Every now and then get a hang up ejecting.

Cheaper than 5.56 or .223

I have a CMMG dedicated upper (actually I bought the bolt assembly and barrel and used some left over parts to complete it) and I am delighted with it. I realize that this option is more expensive, but the improved accuracy and lack of leading problems are worth the extra expense. If you do a lot of shooting the 22 upper will pay for itself many times over. AR barrels don't last much more than 15,000 rounds; 223 is $.35 per round while bulk pack 22s can be had for as little as $.03 per round.

- - - Updated - - -

PS An added extra with the CMMG bolt is that the forward assist actually works and a bolt hold open option is available.

I have the Ceiner BCG adapter for my RRA and the accuracy is okay with my 1/9. Accuracy is fine for plinking but I wouldn't go to a competition with it.

Just to add. My old cmmg adapted was prone to jam( they now have a anti jam charge handle) and ejection was not great. My dedicated tactical solutions 22 upper suffers from. Weak ejection also especially live rounds. Cmmg seems to have updated that as sell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppCkoKf0FXA all things to consider.

I just got the stainless CMMG .22 drop in kit from a generous member on here. I love it! It works perfect and it's pretty accurate coming from an AR barrel. I wasn't expecting much for accuracy but it is pretty damn good. This will definitely be one of my favorite toys at the range now!

I would have just saved up and purchased an actual .22lr upper. It will mess your other barrel up in time, but this is a forum of opinion and I would rather have a quality product.

Charles.

I would have just saved up and purchased an actual .22lr upper. It will mess your other barrel up in time, but this is a forum of opinion and I would rather have a quality product.

Charles.

To be honest, I could give a crap about my M&P Sport barrel. The gun isn't that expensive and when I build my AR, I will just keep shooting the drop in kit with my Sport.

I have a CMMG conversion kit. I've had it for 2+ years.
It's great to leave in my range bag, something you wouldn't do with a whole upper.
It is a bit picky on ammo.
It does not like rapid fire. It jams. Usually a casing get caught coming out.
It's accurate at 50yds. Hits a 3 inch spinner over and over.
It sounds like a pellet gun in my m4gery.
10 round mags suck.
You need to adjust your sights from 223. Or what I do is attach a cheap red dot that's sighted in.

Overall it's great for what it is but if you plan on using it alot I would opt for a complete rifle or a dedicated upper.

I researched this topic not too long ago. I decided on picking up a 10/22! Here's why- for another $70 over the conversion (or cheaper used), you can have a dedicated rifle. Bring the AR, bring the 10/22. You can't find pre-ban 22mags (as far as I know) so you're limited to 10 rounds legally in the conversion. Fun for a few seconds at least. You can pick up pre-ban 10/22 mags to keep you legal.. and you have a fully dedicated rifle. Same goes with the mp15-22, you can't get pre-ban mags in MA. (That was my second choice). Hope this helps!

I have a 10/22 and love it. The CMMG is not picky at all. It even feeds CB long rounds which came as a shock to me. I love it so far and from what I read, it isn't picky if you feed it quality bulk ammo. Not Thunderbolt or Winchester.

Pics will be added later! Thanks again to the seller [wink]

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

Pictures of my M&P 15 with CMMG kit installed: [smile]

img0841l.jpg

img0844wh.jpg

img0840qx.jpg

I quickly ran 150 rounds through my CMMG drop in kit on the way home from doing errands and it worked awesome. Every single person at MRA asked me what I was shooting. It loves Federal bulk but I had a couple FTE with the Winchester M22, I know it's garbage. But you can be an anti-jamming charging handle that eliminates this problem so that might be worth getting.

Thought I'd post results for those who are weary about these. Keep them wet and they'll run fine. [wink]

Charles.

I have a question. How would the CMMG conversion kit mess up a barrel? Not being sarcastic, I am genuinely curious.

I would get a stag arms 22 kit. I don't like CmmG because they don't tell you where there stuff is made and IMO I don't like that, they seem very sneaky

Back
Top Bottom