To buy American, but at what cost?

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I usually try to purchase american made products. But as most of you know its actually quite difficult.
A lot of the things I buy if I can find an American version, I go with it.
Weber grill, lawn mower, lazboy furniture, tools, cookware, ect.
I'm also not a hypocrite, because I own 3 toyota products. And would most likely always purchase toyota products.
It seams most American made products are high end products, and honestly I can't quite afford most things. I'm just a blue collar worker.

But last night the wife wanted new "Tupperware" to replace our miss matched draw of garbage.
So I bought 3 sets of pyrex. Because USA made.

She also wanted another set of flatware, forks spoons ect.

So my question is.

How much extra would you pay for american made?
Because the flatware set I found was $300+ for us made VS $100 for china stuff.
These are in the $150 range and made in the USA.
Liberty Tabletop Flatware | USA-made flatware | Silversuperstore

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I dont think everyone does.

I think most people in the US buy based on price and features.

I was trying to figure out what the price limit most people here have when it comes to usa made products.

And from what I gather.

Mostly everyone here has the flatware set I'm looking at, for 3Xs the money, or a antique set.
I will typically buy USA unless the quality just isn’t there. But if the quality is there, it’s a no brainer and I don’t mind spending a lot more.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I didn't say isolate from the world, I said China.
Anyone who doesn't believe China is our enemy is just naïve, and kidding themselves.
So why do you advocate supporting our enemies?

Dammit. I'm almost 100% of the time Mr. China Is A Scam, but DAMMIT! I'm gonna have to go out and and defend China now. Arrrgghh!!!

Dude - are you on Ancient Aliens???? Seriously. Your thread of logic is as good as any on that show. YOU decided they are our enemy. And then you ask if you advocate supporting our enemies. HUH???? You have to prove they are an enemy (their actions have a specific anti-American goal) before you can claim that.

The reality is that China is out for China. They aren't anti-US any more than they are anti-rest-of-the-world. Guess what? So are we! We slant the playing board in our favor as much as we can as often as we can.

Just because the lure of cheap products have helped the American consumer turn a blind eye to the environmental and worker atrocities doesn't make them "the enemy." That is how China works. They have a different set of morals than the US.

Ditto for their views on intellectual property and manipulating their own currency and the like. It mirrors what happened in Japan in the 80's. Manufactured economy.

Remember: China is more tied to Europe than they are the US.

Oh, and I agree that Trump has done a great job with China. He wasn't afraid to negotiate like the last 5 or so presidents. And it's getting us places.

Oh, and there is no such thing as Made in USA jeans anymore. ASSEMBLED in USA, maybe. (To be fair - there are some items I don't want from the US b/c they are made so much better elsewhere. Many fine textiles are NOT US based ,nor were they ever. Leather is another one. Some non-US leather is far better than US leather. The Italians do a bang-up job on textiles, generally.)

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
you couldn't find another american made vehicle that didn't have an exploding transmission? or you found an equal, or possibly better quality vehicle for less cost? my guess is the second reason.
Most American cars are f***ing trash. It's not usually a cost thing. There are some exceptions but not many.

my friend, flatware sets and pyrex aren't even near the tip of the american made iceberg.

you can walk the walk and talk the talk but ya gotta pay to do it. what was that movie? "all about the benjamins."
They sorta are when you can't even buy any non chinese flatware at retail, lol. I remember going into 2 department stores to buy table settings and it was all china trash that had spoons sharp as bad razors etc. I had to buy a set off Amazon that was made in Europe or something to get stuff that wasn't shit. It didn't even cost that much more, either.

-Mike

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
So I usually try to purchase american made products. But as most of you know its actually quite difficult.
I'm also not a hypocrite, because I own 3 toyota products. And would most likely always purchase toyota products.
It seams most American made products are high end products, and honestly I can't quite afford most things. I'm just a blue collar worker.

But last night the wife wanted new "Tupperware" to replace our miss matched draw of garbage.

So my question is.

You buy what you believe is a good value for your hard earned $$.
The value/quality has to be there. Your satisfaction has to be there.
You also need to be careful as not all products by a manufacture are made in USA.
Mayhew tools pro line IIRC is US . thier other tools not so much.

i always check search features for a made in USA check box.

Last edited:

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
But the point is, the only way the US government can keep running trillion + deficits is if we have super cheap goods to buy. Otherwise you'd need higher wages or higher interest rates.
if trump gets another 4 years, i think you'll see him, when this covid dust has settled, try to get manufacturing away from off shore facilities and back here. we found out first hand how much we depend on china. and they even threatened to hold us hostage over needed goods and supplys. this corona shit might have been a blessing and the proverbial wake up call.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The same time of the exploding transmissions from ford.
My father had a Ford contour. What an absolute piece of crap. The knobs for the windows fell off, nothing worked right, and when you turned the air on the vents fell out of the dash.
That was when I bought the Avalon that was 3 years older. And everything worked. For years. Haven't been back since.

But you can't compare Japanese goods to china.

I also own mitutoyo measuring tools.

Japan made some of the best stereos and TVs, cameras, glass, ect.
Nikon is a good example:

High end bodies and lenses ($2000+ for example) are made in Japan.
Some mid-range lenses made in Thailand.
Cheaper consumer lenses made in China. My $400 85 f/1.8 says made in China.

All have great quality, but the labor costs would be too high on a $400 lens if made in Japan.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The only leverage we have over China is the massive trade deficit and our national Debt. Shut off China cold turkey and they'll have no check on their aggressions. Taiwan: gone. Eastern Russia/Manchuria: gone. Southeast Asia; gone. India? Japan? Korea? Australia?

I buy American when I can. All I'm saying is that Macroeconomics and Global Power relations are extremely complicated. NOTHING happens in a vacuum.

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

So my question is.

used to have Reed & Barton right down here in Taunton. They'd have warehouse sales annually. Looked them up, they went bankrupt in 2015 and were bought by Lenox Corp out of PA.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Most American cars are f***ing trash. It's not usually a cost thing. There are some exceptions but not many.

They sorta are when you can't even buy any non chinese flatware at retail, lol. I remember going into 2 department stores to buy table settings and it was all china trash that had spoons sharp as bad razors etc. I had to buy a set off Amazon that was made in Europe or something to get stuff that wasn't shit. It didn't even cost that much more, either.

-Mike
used to have Reed & Barton right down here in Taunton. They'd have warehouse sales annually. Looked them up, they went bankrupt in 2015 and were bought by Lenox Corp out of PA.
I remember that place. I looked them up.

$1k for a 5 piece usa made set.
$200 for a 65 piece imported set

I'm probably going to go with the liberty tabletop set

Attachments

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I've purchased an antique USA made dining room set, because it was cheaper than most of the "china" crap at cardis.

Paper money is still good right now, I can buy goods, pay my mortgage, and i dont have an endless supply of it. Once it's gone, i can't drive over to the bank with a bunch of ammo or guns to pay my mortgage. I'd have to sell them for paper money and hand that to them.

The made in usa with globally sourced materials gets me. At least they try i guess. Like almost all my Milwaukee power tools. China.
this is what sucks, where do you go to buy cordless tools that are made in the usa.
Dewalt has a few tools made US but i was not thrilled with the new tools, thanks to a friend who let me use his.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Or buy once and cry once, it amazes me people will go to Hazard Freight and buy the same things that keep breaking over and over.
Depends on the tools and use.
Those orange pittsburg deadblow hammers......are a great deal . I abuse the crap out of mine and warrantied a few over the past 10 years or so. Im not paying $100 for a snappy especially with snap on service has really tanked over the years. If your not in bed with them 100% they will brush you off to the side.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
this is what sucks, where do you go to buy cordless tools that are made in the usa.
Dewalt has a few tools made US but i was not thrilled with the new tools, thanks to a friend who let me use his.
That's the problem, with some shit you simply can't. There are entire product lines/types where you can't even opt out of stuff that isn't chinese, or not without
some serious compromise being involved. Like for example you buy a laptop from someone, well, even Dell gets all their laptops from china, or most of them, just like everyone else.

-Mike

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, and I fought with that decision. Most of their stuff is Chinese. But some is made in USA with Chinese materials.

I ended up with Milwaukee because I'm using their packout system which is made in Israel. And some of their hand tools are made in USA.

And other quality non Chinese cordless tools?
Hilti.
I cannot afford hilti.

Brook Trout

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dammit. I'm almost 100% of the time Mr. China Is A Scam, but DAMMIT! I'm gonna have to go out and and defend China now. Arrrgghh!!!

Dude - are you on Ancient Aliens???? Seriously. Your thread of logic is as good as any on that show. YOU decided they are our enemy. And then you ask if you advocate supporting our enemies. HUH???? You have to prove they are an enemy (their actions have a specific anti-American goal) before you can claim that.

I guess you are OK with China threatening to not send us needed PPE products just a few weeks ago? That would constitute an enemy to me. Bet I'm not the only one that has decided China is our enemy. You are advocating for America's enemies.

Masswhole

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Made in the U.S.A. isn't as simple as it sounds. Materials sourced, assembled, packaged, marketed, etc. From raw material to you is a long chain. I'm not sure how to tell anymore if something is 100% U.S. Lots of products out there with misleading advertising as well; such as "designed in the U.S." While that screams made in china to you and me, tons of people fall for it.

Best jeans I've found, my son loves their jogger pants/hoodie.
From raw cotton to finished product all USA.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I buy what I want when I want. I buy what I like. If I liked Toyota I would buy one. In my driveway right now are two Honda's and a GMC. I have a John Deere riding mower and a Honda walk behind self propelled.

If I think it will serve me well I will buy it.

As for flatware, be careful they didn't solder it together with lead.

Dave Marshall

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is why I purchased the pyrex. Because its usa made. I didn't care about the lids not locking, or that is was more money.

Now the flatware.... the only company I could find, that is made in US. Is a company called liberty tabletop. And it's all fancy.
Can I get a basic stamped steel set that was stamped by an american!
Some Americans might call the lack of a cost conscious US made flatware option a great opportunity.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Every penny we give to the chinese adds to their power over the US and other countries

If you think that Wu Flu has derailed their belt and road initiative/quest for economic and military domination or their 100 year plan you're fooling yourself

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ended up buying a 95 Toyota Avalon, lasted to 350k miles. Needed nothing. Well the power steering went out.
Then a Corolla, again 350k
Then 4runner, 375k
Now I have a 2000 ls400
And a 2015 gx460
Toyota is also generally speaking manufactured in the US.....out of a mix of US and non US parts.....except the 4Runner.....its made in Japan from mostly Japanese parts

Dunno about Lexus

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think it would be a f*** of a lot easier to allow the pressure the rest of the world will be putting on China to topple the communist leadership than to expect enough people to boycott Chinese products to make a difference.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Toyota is also generally speaking manufactured in the US.....out of a mix of US and non US parts.....except the 4Runner.....its made in Japan from mostly Japanese parts

Dunno about Lexus
Both Lexus's are 100% Japanese imports.

Which I'm ok with because in my experiences with many Japanese products, they make quality products.

If the US vehicles I owned in the past didn't leave me stranded time and time again, and costly repairs, I would still be driving one.

But the Japanese products have treated me well.

Im also a loyal customer. Until I get boned.

Like Hewlett Packard, which boned me with a crap premium laptop years ago. I've never bought a HP product since.

Reactions: jpk

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

Dunno about Lexus
Lexus is nearly all Japan with certain models that are also assembled in the US (ES350) and Canada (RX350).

-Mike

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
you could go here and see if you can put together a discontinued set. I would opt for something solid...

Top Bottom