To buy American, but at what cost?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
they're basically assembled here from a ton of imported parts. assembly plants were started to avoid the import tax on foreign vehicles. we also saw massive price increases when some of those facilities went with united auto workers.
I'm sure we can say the same about some gun manufacturers.

Me personally, I left the US auto manufacturers during the ford explorer exploding transmissions days.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is a very short-sighted solution. When you isolate, you shoot yourself in the foot. I agree we need to be able to produce critical goods here (steel, weapons, pharma), but we also need to export our products to build wealth. Fair trade rules.
We dont need to expert anything. If we could just live in a society where we all contribute and consume what we produce, everyone gets paid the same amount, no rich or poor... oh wait!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a handful of snap on tools also. A $650 impact to change my snow tires seasonally. Lol a couple more years and it will pay for itself.

But honestly, I ended up buying a "Chinese " Milwaukee m18 impact last time I changed them
Snap-On is just retarded. There are still quality US made tools that don't charge the premium for the name that snap-on does (admittedly, power tools are getting much tougher to find).

Maybe check out Reed & Barton for flatware. Not US made, but they have patterns made in countries like S. Korea etc. where at least you won't be supporting the Chicoms. Nice, quality stuff too. Won't be like eating with cafeteria utensils.

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Don't feel bad about the Toyotas, many of the modern ones are made here. I try to avoid PRC-made products in all cases. Often there are better-quality items made in Taiwan or Japan. Both are countries I don't mind supporting.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Me personally, I left the US auto manufacturers during the ford explorer exploding transmissions days.
you couldn't find another american made vehicle that didn't have an exploding transmission? or you found an equal, or possibly better quality vehicle for less cost? my guess is the second reason.

my friend, flatware sets and pyrex aren't even near the tip of the american made iceberg.

you can walk the walk and talk the talk but ya gotta pay to do it. what was that movie? "all about the benjamins."

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
even snap on is out sourcing tools to china. long gone are the days you can assume snap on is 100% made in usa. that's what good branding can do to your head...you assume.

Brook Trout

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very short-sighted solution. When you isolate, you shoot yourself in the foot. I agree we need to be able to produce critical goods here (steel, weapons, pharma), but we also need to export our products to build wealth. Fair trade rules.
I didn't say isolate from the world, I said China.
Anyone who doesn't believe China is our enemy is just naïve, and kidding themselves.
So why do you advocate supporting our enemies?

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I usually try to purchase american made products. But as most of you know its actually quite difficult.
A lot of the things I buy if I can find an American version, I go with it.
Weber grill, lawn mower, lazboy furniture, tools, cookware, ect.
I'm also not a hypocrite, because I own 3 toyota products. And would most likely always purchase toyota products.
It seams most American made products are high end products, and honestly I can't quite afford most things. I'm just a blue collar worker.

But last night the wife wanted new "Tupperware" to replace our miss matched draw of garbage.
So I bought 3 sets of pyrex. Because USA made.

She also wanted another set of flatware, forks spoons ect.

So my question is.

How much extra would you pay for american made?
Because the flatware set I found was $300+ for us made VS $100 for china stuff.
I don't really worry about supporting big American corporations, cause (a) many of them screw the American people any chance they get, and (b) the government showers them with money constantly, and that money comes right out of your pocket via taxes or dollar devaluation.

I try to support small business as much as possible - that's a much better way to support your fellow Americans. I pay 2-3x the cost for something like gun belts or holsters made by small American businesses for example.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say isolate from the world, I said China.
Anyone who doesn't believe China is our enemy is just naïve, and kidding themselves.
So why do you advocate supporting our enemies?
Anyone who thinks we can isolate from china just doesnt understand how it works. We need china as a trading partner. I do not advocate having them manufacture products critical to our national security. But to suggest not trading with worlds second biggest market is ludicrous.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Instead of Made in USA, the stickers should have a percentage number. That % number is how many Americans they hire out of their total workforce.

So, replace that mostly worthless made in USA with something that looks like:
70%, 20%, 2% ...

You will see how quickly companies start hiring more people here.
They used to do that with cars on the window sticker.... time to bring it back and apply it to all products.

Ya I get the global economy thing, it isn't like we are growing Bananas on U S soil, but there are many products that were once made in the US that were off shored because it was cheaper to make them elsewhere, or the US EPA and other regulations forced production off shore.

Lead smelting ( we need lead for ammo right? National defense and such.) was forced off U S Soil almost a decade ago.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
you couldn't find another american made vehicle that didn't have an exploding transmission?
My wife's Subaru transmission exploded last year, more like imploded. It's more that US carmakers shat on American consumers for so many years that people got turned off. I like Ford though, but not a fan of Chevy and Chrysler (going Italian didn't help that either).

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I like Ford though...
i also. my dad was a ford guy and so am i. my 74 toyota was my last foreign vehicle. oddly, my died in the wool union supporting father bought that car from me and happily drove it for several years until it rusted so bad it couldn't pass inspection.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
you couldn't find another american made vehicle that didn't have an exploding transmission? or you found an equal, or possibly better quality vehicle for less cost? my guess is the second reason.

my friend, flatware sets and pyrex aren't even near the tip of the american made iceberg.

you can walk the walk and talk the talk but ya gotta pay to do it. what was that movie? "all about the benjamins."
I could have jumped into the trailblazer/envoy, but those weren't that much better ether.

Ended up going toyota, and haven't left.

I buy american when it makes sense.

Pyrex, vs Tupperware or whatever Chinese brand, I'll get the pyrex.

I could probably walk a lot farther than most on this path.

I used to buy craftsman, till they went Chinese, then attempted snap on. There is not much left now.

Bought a scag mower. Made in USA.

Used to buy redwing, but they are Chinese now except the 877s. But now I mostly wear thorogood.

Bought my child a rockabye rocker, because made in USA.

I'm sure I could walk around the house and find a lot more, because I avoid buying china when there is a USA made product.

But at what cost? Of the examples I gave, the extra premium wasn't that costly.

But let's be honest. If your TV took a dump, And instead of paying $800 you would be willing to pay $2500?

So if american was 3x the cost you would pay it?

I most likely WILL purchase the liberty tabletop set.
I already own USA made steak knives.

Brook Trout

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who thinks we can isolate from china just doesnt understand how it works. We need china as a trading partner. I do not advocate having them manufacture products critical to our national security. But to suggest not trading with worlds second biggest market is ludicrous.
Why, just so you can buy the cheap crap China makes?
Japan and Taiwan make "better quality" products than China does. There are other countries that are not our enemies, that would fill the void, given a chance.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This. Plus, this problem isn’t solvable until the cost of labor in a stable country is the same everywhere in the world. It’s easy to assume people can just make a binary choice between buying USA vs China, but that’s not how it works for most people who live paycheck to paycheck. They just don’t have the luxury to make purchases based on principal like many of us here do.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't really worry about supporting big American corporations, cause (a) many of them screw the American people any chance they get, and (b) the government showers them with money constantly, and that money comes right out of your pocket via taxes or dollar devaluation.

I try to support small business as much as possible - that's a much better way to support your fellow Americans. I pay 2-3x the cost for something like gun belts or holsters made by small American businesses for example.
Ahh yes.

I actually have a belt man belt on.
And in my hand I have a Kennedy vape, hand made by a man in California.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Japan and Taiwan make "better quality" products than China does. There are other countries that are not our enemies, that would fill the void, given a chance.
Businesses aren’t stupid. If cheaper labor existed they would use it. Simple market economics. China is cheapest cost.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your argument is not against outsourcing manufacturing to other countries? You are just against Chinese manufacturing? Your statements continue to betray you do not really understand basic economics. I guess I have to just concede to you, just not possible to discuss when you dont understand.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i also. my dad was a ford guy and so am i. my 74 toyota was my last foreign vehicle. oddly, my died in the wool union supporting father bought that car from me and happily drove it for several years until it rusted so bad it couldn't pass inspection.
The same time of the exploding transmissions from ford.
My father had a Ford contour. What an absolute piece of crap. The knobs for the windows fell off, nothing worked right, and when you turned the air on the vents fell out of the dash.
That was when I bought the Avalon that was 3 years older. And everything worked. For years. Haven't been back since.

But you can't compare Japanese goods to china.

I also own mitutoyo measuring tools.

Japan made some of the best stereos and TVs, cameras, glass, ect.

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
189   0   0
Yes but how can that be with all the Global Economists on NES?

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Right, which is what I said. "Just so you can buy their cheap crap."
Most of the time quality doesn't even matter, you just want it cheap, from an enemy is fine too.
Actually, China has greatly improved the quality of its products. There are now different quality levels. It used to be all crap. Now, a lot of it is excellent quality. Businesses have to walk that line between cost of goods and quality. It’s not easy. For sure, there are many folks that just want the least expensive product they can find. Typically those people just can’t afford better quality. If we all could, then we could eliminate China. Unfortunately, that’s not possible currently.

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
189   0   0
Ya lookit all those Norincos that are still running and we are paying top dollar too. Gonna go buy me one today

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
safe to say everyone does. so this thread was moot then?
I dont think everyone does.

I think most people in the US buy based on price and features.

I was trying to figure out what the price limit most people here have when it comes to usa made products.

And from what I gather.

Mostly everyone here has the flatware set I'm looking at, for 3Xs the money, or a antique set.

Top Bottom