To buy American, but at what cost?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I usually try to purchase american made products. But as most of you know its actually quite difficult.
A lot of the things I buy if I can find an American version, I go with it.
Weber grill, lawn mower, lazboy furniture, tools, cookware, ect.
I'm also not a hypocrite, because I own 3 toyota products. And would most likely always purchase toyota products.
It seams most American made products are high end products, and honestly I can't quite afford most things. I'm just a blue collar worker.

But last night the wife wanted new "Tupperware" to replace our miss matched draw of garbage.
So I bought 3 sets of pyrex. Because USA made.

She also wanted another set of flatware, forks spoons ect.

So my question is.

How much extra would you pay for american made?
Because the flatware set I found was $300+ for us made VS $100 for china stuff.

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the north woods likely hunting or trapping
The cost is not just the $, you need to take into account the more you purchase Chinese made goods the more you support that country at the loss of your own, the more dependent you make the country, the more work shipped overseas etc. This is a country who’s mandate is to rule over us, they are not a friend, they are not a country who cares iota about what happens to the US other than the money flow. That’s the cost

01bmf

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Made in the U.S.A. isn't as simple as it sounds. Materials sourced, assembled, packaged, marketed, etc. From raw material to you is a long chain. I'm not sure how to tell anymore if something is 100% U.S. Lots of products out there with misleading advertising as well; such as "designed in the U.S." While that screams made in china to you and me, tons of people fall for it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what it is.
I buy made in USA when I can. Haven't really run in to the price issue that often on high price purchases but sometimes do on smaller items, or more often the problem is I just can't find a US option.
When I can't go with US made I default to manufactured in a country I don't think I'd mind living in because ultimately, you are supporting that way of life with your purchase.
I recently picked up a pair of welpers. Made in Japan. Paid three times what the Chinese products were going for. They are not as exciting looking as the Chinese tools and don't claim to be three times better than the leading competitor but the joint is tight and smooth, the jaws line up, and appear to me made of quality materials.

image.jpeg

Not sure how the $300 flatware would be better than the Chinese counterpart but if it were me, I'd likely go for the US product even if it were just on principal of not supporting communism.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
vicious circle, right? to enjoy the quality of life and standard of living we're use to, we demand to be paid more...and receive decent health benefits. someone has to pay for it and guess who it is, the american consumer trying to buy american. think about it next time you fork over the $10 co-pay when you take the kid to the doctor and bitch about having to pay that much. i try to buy american when i can so...your welcome!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've purchased an antique USA made dining room set, because it was cheaper than most of the "china" crap at cardis.

Paper money is still good right now, I can buy goods, pay my mortgage, and i dont have an endless supply of it. Once it's gone, i can't drive over to the bank with a bunch of ammo or guns to pay my mortgage. I'd have to sell them for paper money and hand that to them.

The made in usa with globally sourced materials gets me. At least they try i guess. Like almost all my Milwaukee power tools. China.

Brook Trout

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say we go cold turkey, just stop importing from China!
We probably have enough surplus, or older products we can use that would get us through. If not, you just do without it for a while. Cold turkey!
The business that would start up over night would be incredible. See how fast we started making ventilators and masks?
We could bury China in a few years, the way they tried to bury us with the "19"
Trump is the only one with the balls to do it, and the Democrats would all commit suicide over it.
[popcorn]I would love to watch the drama.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
vicious circle, right? to enjoy the quality of life and standard of living we're use to, we demand to be paid more...and receive decent health benefits. someone has to pay for it and guess who it is, the american consumer trying to buy american. think about it next time you fork over the $10 co-pay when you take the kid to the doctor and bitch about having to pay that much. i try to buy american when i can so...your welcome!
I agree, but I also think that most of the stuff made in USA, is the high end stuff.
The economy stuff that most people can actually afford is not made here.

The $300 flatware set, probably goes into a $100k+ kitchen on average. That's my guess.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I agree, but I also think that most of the stuff made in USA, is the high end stuff.

The $300 flatware set, probably goes into a $100k+ kitchen on average. That's my guess.
Or buy once and cry once, it amazes me people will go to Hazard Freight and buy the same things that keep breaking over and over.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I usually try to purchase american made products. But as most of you know its actually quite difficult.
A lot of the things I buy if I can find an American version, I go with it.
Weber grill, lawn mower, lazboy furniture, tools, cookware, ect.
I'm also not a hypocrite, because I own 3 toyota products. And would most likely always purchase toyota products.
It seams most American made products are high end products, and honestly I can't quite afford most things. I'm just a blue collar worker.

But last night the wife wanted new "Tupperware" to replace our miss matched draw of garbage.
So I bought 3 sets of pyrex. Because USA made.

She also wanted another set of flatware, forks spoons ect.

So my question is.

How much extra would you pay for american made?
Because the flatware set I found was $300+ for us made VS $100 for china stuff.
Versus the cost if we don't do it?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We probably have enough surplus, or older products we can use that would get us through. If not, you just do without it for a while. Cold turkey!
The business that would start up over night would be incredible. See how fast we started making ventilators and masks?
Trump is the only one with the balls to do it, and the Democrats would all commit suicide over it.
Well considering everyone posting, is posting from a product made from china. It's not something I think we could do cold Turkey.

NickLeduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
At what level do you only support American made products? Meaning only 100% made? Does final assembly only matter to you? Does where they source material matter to you? How do you feel about products made from Chinese steel? What if it were a Taiwanese Company that did the final assembly but sourced all materials from USA?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Or buy once and cry once, it amazes me people will go to Hazard Freight and buy the same things that keep breaking over and over.
I think harbor freight has its place.

Built 7 aks with these 2.

Is there even a USA made version of ether?

Attachments

NickLeduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ftc.gov Some good reading.

Does the FTC pre-approve Made in USA claims?
The Commission does not pre-approve advertising or labeling claims. A company doesn’t need approval from the Commission before making a Made in USA claim. As with most other advertising claims, a manufacturer or marketer may make any claim as long as it is truthful and substantiated.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
...but I also think that most of the stuff made in USA, is the high end stuff.
not necessarily. don't interpret high price for high end.

something tells me when your shopping for you flatware set at target it's all made the from the same stamped sheet metal. the price difference is how fancy do you want those stampings.

go price shop for flatware at shreve, crump and lowe and tell me you see no difference in quality although you may not find any made in usa.

back to target, you hold in your hand 2 flatware sets. both the same plain pattern. the made in china is $60 and one made in usa is almost double that. now back again, to the american worker and the demand for that high pay and standard of living he enjoys. i can certainly see why foreigners flock across the border for a piece of that pie.

Aegius

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are far more complicated today, especially as you mentioned Toyota. Many "foreign" cars are manufactured in the US, using US made parts. Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda make most of their popular lines in America. And yet many "American" brands manufacture their vehicles in Canada and Mexico.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How quickly people forget. We could barely put sanctions on their product before every company and farmer started complaining and China put sanctions on our stuff.

How long did that trade "war" last before both sides were backing down, 1 year?

And companies were already shipping stuff to other countries and shipping from those countries to the U.S.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very short-sighted solution. When you isolate, you shoot yourself in the foot. I agree we need to be able to produce critical goods here (steel, weapons, pharma), but we also need to export our products to build wealth. Fair trade rules.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agonized over this when I first started buying tools when I was younger and money was really tight. Decided to suck it up and get the good stuff. Had to save up more and space purchases out but after decades of use, everything I own still works well and is a joy to use. In the long run you save money by paying for quality up front.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
not necessarily. don't interpret high price for high end.

something tells me when your shopping for you flatware set at target it's all made the from the same stamped sheet metal. the price difference is how fancy do you want those stampings.

go price shop for flatware at shreve, crump and lowe and tell me you see no difference in quality although you may not find any made in usa.

back to target, you hold in your hand 2 flatware sets. both the same plain pattern. the made in china is $60 and one made in usa is almost double that. now back again, to the american worker and the demand for that high pay and standard of living he enjoys. i can certainly see why foreigners flock across the border for a piece of that pie.

And that is why I purchased the pyrex. Because its usa made. I didn't care about the lids not locking, or that is was more money.

Now the flatware.... the only company I could find, that is made in US. Is a company called liberty tabletop. And it's all fancy.
Can I get a basic stamped steel set that was stamped by an american!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I agonized over this when I first started buying tools when I was younger and money was really tight. Decided to suck it up and get the good stuff. Had to save up more and space purchases out but after decades of use, everything I own still works well and is a joy to use. In the long run you save money by paying for quality up front.
I bought a handful of snap on tools also. A $650 impact to change my snow tires seasonally. Lol a couple more years and it will pay for itself.

But honestly, I ended up buying a "Chinese " Milwaukee m18 impact last time I changed them

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda make most of their popular lines in America.
they're basically assembled here from a ton of imported parts. assembly plants were started to avoid the import tax on foreign vehicles. we also saw massive price increases when some of those facilities went with united auto workers.

Top Bottom