• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To and from a bonafide range, home or place of business.

I've lived in rhode island my entire life, and have always heard you must transport your pistols to and from a bonafide range, home, or place of business. Ive read the statue as well as the definition of to which is headed towards a destination. Can anyone tell me of a court case or legal statute that says you must go directly to said destination, without stopping. Or have we all added this to and from without stopping or traveling directly to on our own account. I have yet to see anything in the law that says i cant stop for gas or somewhere as long as i am headed towards my legal destination of home, bonafide range, or place of business.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I never found a straight answer to what § 11-47-10 means in practical application. Your defense would be aided by complying with the requirements given in § 11-47-9
§ 11-47-9 said:
... nor to any person while transporting a pistol, or revolvers, unloaded from the place of purchase to their residence; or place of business ...i f said pistol or revolver is unloaded and any ammunition for said pistol or revolver is not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such vehicle while transporting same and further provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm or the ammunition shall be stored in a locked container.

Logic would suggest that "transporting" allows for incidental stops such as filling your gas tank.

I think it is a grey area whether you can stop for gas while on the way home from the range and I am sure there are many ways this can be interpreted, but I would rather not have that discussion with the police or in front of a judge. Might as well get a permit to be on the safe side.

Despite of popular belief, you can get a permit in Rhode Island.

^What Newport said^

Most of us here on this forum from RI have permits/pending permits.
You may find it interesting that this years Nevada reciprocity list includes Rhode Island. RI was on the 2013 list, but removed from the 2014 list.

There was a misunderstanding on the part of Nevada. They require proof of ability, which is met by 11-47-15 qualification. They corrected the mistake this year.

Actually, they don't require "proof of ability". They have two requirements for reciprocity:

1. Training must be a license requirement (fortunately, they consider the RI range test as meeting this requirement)

2. There must be a 24x7 mechanism to verify the validity via LE teletype.

They recent removed the requirement that this must also be approved by the NV state sheriff's assn.

You may find it interesting that this years Nevada reciprocity list includes Rhode Island. RI was on the 2013 list, but removed from the 2014 list.

What really surprises me is the other states that recognize a RI permit (21 in total)

Edit, correct, not reciprocity.

Last edited:
What really surprises me is the other states that RI has reciprocity with:
(Purple colored states your G2G)
rhode_island_map.t.gif

It's not really reciprocity, since RI honors no out of state permits. Entirely a one way deal.

I contacted the NV DPS a couple of years ago (I think we were removed in 2013) when RI was removed and asked why RI permits would no longer be honored. They said there was no proficiency test to obtain a CCW and pointed to RIGL 11-47-35 (purchase of handguns). I explained the mis-understanding and pointed to the correct statute (11-47-15). They seemed to be OK with that and said they would update it the next time (their list is/was done by July 1st every year), but I believe they forgot about it the first year. I contacted them again last week and they said RI would be on the list this year.

Back
Top Bottom